Author Topic: 3 Euros off at Spielbox  (Read 3904 times)

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
  • Merit: 293
  • "First to 4 points wins?"
    • View Profile
3 Euros off at Spielbox
« on: February 08, 2018, 02:36:13 AM »
Hello.

As an unbirthday present (this being due to my date of birth being interpreted as the 7th Feb rather than the 2nd Jul) I've received a 3 Euro voucher for my next purchase at Spielbox. I don't intend to make any purchases in the near future so if anyone wants a voucher code to save themselves a few Euros please drop me a PM, but only if you intend to use it before either the 9th March or the 3rd September (not sure which given the confusion over my birthday):

"You can book this credit at the cash desk during the ordering process by 09.03.2018."

Dan

Linkback: https://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/index.php?topic=3832.0

Offline Just a Bill

• Marquis
  • Merit: 47
  • I'm still in beta.
    • View Profile
Re: 3 Euros off at Spielbox
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2018, 06:25:35 AM »
but only if you intend to use it before either the 9th March or the 3rd September (not sure which given the confusion over my birthday):

They sent me one on 11.11.2017 and said I had to use it before 11.12.2017. At first I thought that meant I only had until the end of the day to place my order ... then I realized they must have meant December 11 rather than November 12.

FWIW, the way I deal with the problem of the two date standards is to start with the year: 2018-02-08. I wish every system on the planet defaulted to this presentation. This clearly takes a logical path from general to specific, it auto-sorts the way one would expect (the typical American format does not), and I think it makes it clear to everyone that I'm talking about February rather than August.

In cases where the input constraints/output formats will allow it, and if sorting is not needed (such as with the email from Spielbox), I actually prefer to spell the month: 2018 Feb 08, or 08 Feb 2018. Can't possibly have a misinterpretation with those, it only takes one extra character, and the alternation of numeric and textual elements actually helps the brain process the information more easily.

And that ends today's 5-Minute Nerd Lesson.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2018, 06:29:14 AM by Just a Bill »
My stuff: The Caverns of Carcassonne | Wheel of Fortune versions | True North (wind roses) | Icon facelifts | Converting CII to CI | Signposts & the Château | The Vault | Riverboats & the Whirlpool | trade list

Offline ny1050220

• Marquis
  • Merit: 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2018, 06:57:06 AM »
I agree with Bill. I always spell out the month, as my birthday may be interpreted then wrong in certain countries.
The biggest culture shock I had when I moved from Ontario to Michigan was that all of sudden, a date was written in a more sensible way.  ;)

Offline Rosco

• Duke Chevalier
  • Merit: 41
  • Racing, and playing hard!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2018, 07:30:31 AM »
So are you saying that it is not even consistent across the states? 

Logically day/month/year is better.

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk

Just lay the damn tile!

Offline ny1050220

• Marquis
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2018, 07:40:52 AM »
Nope. Ontario is a Canadian province.

Offline Rosco

• Duke Chevalier
  • Merit: 41
  • Racing, and playing hard!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2018, 08:27:29 AM »
My bad!! I meant across north America.

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk

Offline jungleboy

• Viscount Chevalier
  • Merit: 89
  • Nine points!
    • View Profile
    • Spirit of the Camino
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2018, 08:30:53 AM »
The biggest culture shock I had when I moved from Ontario to Michigan was that all of sudden, a date was written in a more sensible way.  ;)

Not to hijack but I can't see how the US form is more sensible. It's month (the middle of the three units) / day (the shortest of the three units) / year (the longest of the three units). Day/month/year makes more sense because the units get successively longer.

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
  • Merit: 293
  • "First to 4 points wins?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2018, 08:59:31 AM »
The assumption that, if you start with the year and work down is no safer, in theory, than the assumption that if you finish with year you will be working up to it. Specifically, month-day-year makes no less sense than year-day-month so you can't assume that because the last element is year that the two elements before it will be day and month in that order any more than you can that they will be the correct way around.

The correct way to do it is to represent each day as an integer. Today is the 39th of 2018. Just how I like it.

Offline ny1050220

• Marquis
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2018, 09:11:18 AM »
I can't see why the order "middle-shortest-longest" is not OK.
You also say at 12:30 on Thursday.

After all, I totally agree with Bill about YYYY-MM-DD. General to specific.
FWIW, the way I deal with the problem of the two date standards is to start with the year: 2018-02-08. I wish every system on the planet defaulted to this presentation. This clearly takes a logical path from general to specific, it auto-sorts the way one would expect (the typical American format does not).
To access the daily record of, say, 13-10-2017, you go to the folder of the year 2017, then locate the section of month number 10, and then go to page 13. Mission accomplished. 8)

Offline ny1050220

• Marquis
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2018, 09:15:08 AM »
Dan, I didn't see your comment when I posted mine, so all I said was in response to jungleboy.

The correct way to do it is to represent each day as an integer. Today is the 39th of 2018. Just how I like it.

We can see that a lot of scientists have adopted this strategy in their publications, although one needs to figure out the leap year puzzle before interpreting numbers starting from 60.

Offline aenima

• Viscount
  • Merit: 37
  • !!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2018, 11:58:22 PM »
Well. .. I'd like to buy the one with Cult and Stone age together... but I'm not able to find on their site... and I remember that someone told it was still possinle to buy... some help?

Offline Sinscerly

• Viscount
  • Merit: 30
  • Loving to play.
    • View Profile
    • WikiCarpedia - Wiki-CAR
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2018, 12:10:27 AM »
I think that one is sold out. Couldn't find it either. 
"What things can you find? Things that are hidden?
Do you know The WikiCarpedia?

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
exclamation
Favouritism Poll #6 - Spin-Off Score Tracks

Started by Decar

13 Replies
Last post May 06, 2016, 03:57:43 AM
by Decar
xx
Getting off to a good start: frfr

Started by danisthirty

12 Replies
Last post January 01, 2020, 02:26:50 PM