Author Topic: The Peasant Revolts expansion  (Read 2013 times)

Offline Finstochian

• Vagabond
  • Merit: 0
  • I haven't updated my profile yet!
    • View Profile
The Peasant Revolts expansion
« on: December 05, 2020, 04:38:27 AM »
Hi, I have just received the Peasant Revolts mini-expansion that was released in October. I am confused with one of the rules and there is no further clarification yet in WikiCarpedia.

The rules with the expansion (mirrored on WikC) state that on drawing a peasant revolts tile, 'All of your unprotected meeples on respective features must be returned into your supply'. Note the word 'All'.  A couple of lines down a note that says, 'As soon as you have had to return at least one meeple, the revolt is over ...'. Here, and later, it states the revolt is over as soon as one meeple has been returned to your supply.

Both statements cannot be correct, and if it is the latter, is the choice of which meeple is returned up to the player if the player has more than one unprotected meeple on the feature type?

This may have been clarified but I cannot see it anywhere else. Can anyone help or am I misreading something?

Linkback: https://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/index.php?topic=4922.0
« Last Edit: December 05, 2020, 04:56:21 AM by Finstochian »

Offline Meepledrone

• Owner
  • Chatelain Grand Officier
  • Merit: 456
  • It is full of... Meeples!!!
    • View Profile
Re: The Peasants Revolts expansion
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2020, 05:04:45 AM »
Hi there!

When the rules say "All of your unprotected meeples on respective features must be returned into your supply", they mean that if you have drawn a peasant revolt affecting, let's say, cities, you will have to remove all your unprotected meeples in cities.

The sentence 'As soon as you have had to return at least one meeple, the revolt is over ...' means that the revolt can stop with the active player (that's you), if you had at least one unprotected meeple in a city (that you are forced to remove).

Following with the same case, if all your meeples placed in cities are protected, then you will pass the revolt to the player to your left. And this can go on until one player is affected by the revolt (the first one who had to remove meeples) or no player is affected at all.

No matter who is affected by the revolt: you as active player, another player or nobody, you will resume your turn by placing the Peasant Revolt tile (if possible) and then performing the rest of the normal actions as per the usual rules.

I find the use of "respective" and "as soon" a bit odd as a non-native English speaker... but I understand the intended meaning. I don't know if a native English speaker proofread the original rules.

Did this help you? Do you think a rewording or a clarification would be necessary?

EDIT: Added additional comments about resuming the current turn.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2020, 05:21:36 AM by Meepledrone »
Questions about rules? Check WICA: wikicarpedia.com

Offline Bumsakalaka

• Count Chevalier
  • Merit: 31
  • Fan of Fan expansions
    • View Profile
    • www.scifi.sk
Re: The Peasant Revolts expansion
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2020, 05:06:30 AM »
Hi @Finstochian.
Rules are ok.
Imagine situation, that current player catch Peasant revolt tile.
Situation 1:
Active player have one or more not protected meeples on specified type of Feature
- then all of his not protected meeples on specified Feature are returned to his supply
- at least one is returned, peasant revold is finished
Situation 2:
Active players has all meeples protected on specified type of Feature or not have any meeple of specififed type of Feature
A. then next player meeples are checked
- if at least one of this player meeple is returned to player's supply due to revold, then revold endings
B. but if this player has no unprotected or no meeple on specified type of feature, then it's going to 2A. with next player.

So, logi of this expansion is to remove unprotected meeples on specified type of feature of first applicable player, when this player is found, revolt is ending.

Also revolt is ending if none of meeples can be removed.
Check JCloisterZone Add-ons with fan expansions and also some Slovak sci/fi projects in English https://www.scifi.sk/en/

Offline Vital Pluymers

• Duke
  • Merit: 3
  • The King
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2020, 05:26:57 AM »
I think the wording is quite clear, no modifications needed.

Offline Finstochian

• Vagabond
  • Merit: 0
  • I haven't updated my profile yet!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2020, 06:17:01 AM »
Thank you for the clarification. If I have it correct, if I am playing a large game, draw a Peasant Revolts tile with, say, a road symbol, and I have four meeples on four different roads, all four are returned to the supply?

Offline cicerunner

• Duke
  • Merit: 5
  • 2020 meeple vision
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2020, 06:27:55 AM »
I find the use of "respective" and "as soon" a bit odd as a non-native English speaker... but I understand the intended meaning. I don't know if a native English speaker proofread the original rules.
Regarding the expressions you find a bit odd.

"As soon as" is an everyday construct in (British) English. It is fine.

However, "on respective features" really jars. It isn't correct. To be grammatically correct it needs to have a "the" before "respective". To be correct in this specific context - which, if I have understood the rules correctly, is that a revolt will only ever be triggered in one feature at a time - the wording should be "on the respective feature". (Final "s" deleted.)

Offline Bumsakalaka

• Count Chevalier
  • Merit: 31
  • Fan of Fan expansions
    • View Profile
    • www.scifi.sk
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2020, 07:51:36 AM »
Thank you for the clarification. If I have it correct, if I am playing a large game, draw a Peasant Revolts tile with, say, a road symbol, and I have four meeples on four different roads, all four are returned to the supply?
Yes. All unprotected meeples on specified feature type of player on which meeples is applying revolt.

Offline Meepledrone

• Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2020, 11:58:30 AM »
Regarding the expressions you find a bit odd.

"As soon as" is an everyday construct in (British) English. It is fine.

Yes, but in this case I see it more in a context where there is an ongoing sequence. For example, when the rules describe the revolt passing from player to player: "As soon as one player has at least one unprotected meeple, the revolt ends after removing his/her unprotected meeples."  You know what I mean...

However, "on respective features" really jars. It isn't correct. To be grammatically correct it needs to have a "the" before "respective". To be correct in this specific context - which, if I have understood the rules correctly, is that a revolt will only ever be triggered in one feature at a time - the wording should be "on the respective feature". (Final "s" deleted.)

I agree... That makes sense. Respective without an article sounds odd. Here "the respective feature" means "the feature indicated by the symbol on the Peasant Revole tile."  ;)

EDIT: Corrected typos
« Last Edit: December 05, 2020, 03:17:58 PM by Meepledrone »

Offline Meepledrone

• Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2020, 04:49:27 PM »
In general terms, you may have unprotected meeples on more than one feature of a given type (road, city or monastery).

So the plural may be necessary: "on the respective features"...

* All of your unprotected meeples on the respective features, must be returned into your supply immediately.
* Every protected meeple on the respective features scores 2 points. Protected meeples remain protected after the revolt.

This sounds simpler and more direct to me (more aligned with a rulebook tone?):

Note: If you had to return at least one meeple, the revolt is over and you continue with your normal turn.

Any thoughts?

Offline Vital Pluymers

• Duke
  • Merit: 3
  • The King
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2020, 11:49:44 PM »
Certainly better!  :)

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
xx
New mini expansion Carcassonne - The Peasant Revolts on cundco.de

Started by Bumsakalaka

61 Replies
Last post November 29, 2020, 12:59:29 AM
by cicerunner
xx
The Peasant Revolts interactions with other expansions

Started by Meepledrone

53 Replies
Last post November 27, 2020, 09:22:33 AM
by Bumsakalaka
xx
Clarification of rules (abbot, Spiel tiles, peasant revolts) - with HiG - 24 11 2020

Started by Meepledrone

23 Replies
Last post January 05, 2021, 11:01:36 AM
by DrMeeple
xx
The Barbarian Report: Revolting Peasants and Reclining Meeples (Peasant Revolts)

Started by Whaleyland

1 Replies
Last post December 18, 2021, 01:47:26 AM
by Meepledrone
xx
Clarification of rules (peasant revolts - part 2) - with HiG - 12 01 2021

Started by Meepledrone

17 Replies
Last post January 27, 2021, 04:31:35 PM
by Meepledrone