Author Topic: Scoring Question  (Read 6179 times)

Offline dsegel

• Vagabond
  • Merit: 0
  • Carpe diem!
    • View Profile
Scoring Question
« on: May 03, 2017, 11:31:45 AM »
If you place a tile that completes more than one UNOCCUPIED cities and/or roads, do you get points for all completes or just one?

Theoretically, it would be like putting more than one  :neutral-meeple: down but I would like clarification, please.  I couldn't find this situation addressed in the rules.

Linkback: https://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/index.php?topic=3307.0

Offline dirk2112

• Baron
  • Merit: 43
  • Filled with caffeine and hyperbole
    • View Profile
Re: Scoring Question
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2017, 11:40:23 AM »
If you place a tile that completes more than one UNOCCUPIED cities and/or roads, do you get points for all completes or just one?

Theoretically, it would be like putting more than one  :neutral-meeple: down but I would like clarification, please.  I couldn't find this situation addressed in the rules.

Unless you are playing with the Phantom expansion, you can only put one meeple down per turn, so your best bet is to put it on whatever gives you the most points (4 point city is better than a 3 point road). 

Offline Mr Meeple

• Freeman
  • Merit: 6
  • Carcassonne <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2017, 11:45:50 AM »
If a city or road is unoccupied you don't receive any points. Only if you own the city or street you'll receive the points by completing it. This is how we used to play it.

Offline Hounk

• Baron
  • Merit: 15
  • I haven't updated my profile yet!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2017, 03:22:30 AM »
... and that's how it is played correctly. Also you have to have at least one meeple in supply to score anything in this occasion.

Offline GinCarc

• Freeman
  • Merit: 2
  • No other game is like Carcassonne!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2017, 10:44:49 PM »
Mornin All

This might not be a scoring issue but we were playing a mega game this weekend with the festival tiles, and had an issue with removal of a follower that im hoping someone would be able to assist me with clarifying the rule. when one has a follower and Builder in a castle and you draw a festival tile can you remove the follower(regular meeple) that will in turn automatically remove builder as well?

Reason im asking is that ive read through the CAR and there is no scenario covering this situation? as to my knowledge a builder cannot be alone in a city or are you in this case only allowed to remove builder that will leave your follower stuck in the city??

Offline Willem

• Chatelain
  • Merit: 118
  • Keeper of the Carcassonne Museum
    • View Profile
    • The Carcassonne Museum
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2017, 11:35:06 PM »
Hi GinCarc!
Its a bit of a tricky one. In earlier rules, the Builder was concidered to be a follower, and would remain on its on if a knight was to be removed from the city (or thief from the road), by means of festival, dragon, princess, plague etc.
Later the rules stated that a builder is not a follower. It still is affected by the dragon and plague, but not by the festival or the WoF plague.
Id say the builder will be removed together with the knight if he is removed.
Join me on the journey through the history and oddities of Carcassonne, on My Instagram
1 0 days since i've bought more Carcassonne

Offline GinCarc

• Freeman
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2017, 01:43:35 AM »
Hi GinCarc!
Its a bit of a tricky one. In earlier rules, the Builder was concidered to be a follower, and would remain on its on if a knight was to be removed from the city (or thief from the road), by means of festival, dragon, princess, plague etc.
Later the rules stated that a builder is not a follower. It still is affected by the dragon and plague, but not by the festival or the WoF plague.
Id say the builder will be removed together with the knight if he is removed.

It is a tricky situation, we do remove both the builder and follower with the festival tiles currently as we do not consider the builder as a follower. It like the sheperd rule you cannot have a flock without a sheperd  :))

Offline jungleboy

• Viscount Chevalier
  • Merit: 89
  • Nine points!
    • View Profile
    • Spirit of the Camino
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2017, 01:46:41 AM »
Yeah, I can't imagine any scenario where a builder would stay on the board if the player who it belongs to no longer had a meeple on that feature.

Offline Willem

• Chatelain
  • Merit: 118
  • Keeper of the Carcassonne Museum
    • View Profile
    • The Carcassonne Museum
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2017, 02:10:27 AM »
My brother uses the 'old' rules, since he started playing years back when they where followers. So he likes to use it for trapping peoples builders in a incomplete city/road without follower. So when the knight/thief is removed by any means other than compling the feature, the builder is trapped.

Offline Just a Bill

• Marquis
  • Merit: 47
  • I'm still in beta.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2017, 11:35:02 AM »
I agree with removing the builder; but much more importantly, the CAR agrees, too!

Quote from: CAR 7.4 p. 37
  • If the last farmer of the owner of the pig is removed from the farm with the pig,
    then the pig is also returned to the player.59
59 This is a consequence of the rule that builders and pigs are not followers, and it also applies
when the last thief or knight is removed from a road or city which includes the builder. Under the old
rules, the builder or pig remained in play, and the builder continued to generate double-turns. Under
the current rules, the builder and pig are dependent on followers for deployment, and cannot remain
in play without them.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2017, 11:40:29 AM by Just a Bill »
My stuff: The Caverns of Carcassonne | Wheel of Fortune versions | True North (wind roses) | Icon facelifts | Converting CII to CI | Signposts & the Château | The Vault | Riverboats & the Whirlpool | trade list

Offline MrNumbers

• Duke Chevalier
  • Merit: 91
    • View Profile
    • Carcassonne Latvia
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2017, 02:25:11 PM »
It also worth mentioning, that builder can be removed by the festival tile:
Code: [Select]
return one of one’s own figures from the entire playing area to his or her supply.And footnote 372:
All of one’s own figures are meant here, including normal and big followers, wagon, mayor, builder, pig, and barn.
"I never lose. Either I win or I learn." (Nelson Mandela)

Offline GinCarc

• Freeman
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2017, 11:27:28 PM »
It also worth mentioning, that builder can be removed by the festival tile:
return one of one’s own figures from the entire playing area to his or her supply.And footnote 372:
All of one’s own figures are meant here, including normal and big followers, wagon, mayor, builder, pig, and barn.

I think all off us at least agree the builder can be removed, the question was that when you remove your follower if your builder also gets removed. i think the rules related to the Farmer and pig give us some clarity on what HiG were thinking. so it comes down to the type of game one plays, if you see the builder as a follower then he remains on the city when the knight is removed but if you dont see the builder as a follower then he will automatically get removed by removing the follower/Knight.

My only though about the rule where your builder stays in a city after your meeple is removed, does this not stand in direct opposition to the placement rule that states a builder can only be placed in a city one owns? if so surely the builder cannot stay in a city one no longer occupies?

Offline Paul

• Marquis Chevalier
  • Merit: 86
    • View Profile
    • sydby.com
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2017, 03:44:31 AM »
This should put all questions to rest. Official rules from the English booklet by Z-man Games:

"Your builder is always returned to your supply if you no longer have meeples on that feature.
  This usually occurs after scoring, but some expansions introduce other ways in which this can happen."

This is for the new art version but the consensus is to always use the latest rules.
World record holder for a single game of Carcassonne using 10 007 tiles!

Offline GinCarc

• Freeman
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2017, 03:54:28 AM »
This should put all questions to rest. Official rules from the English booklet by Z-man Games:

"Your builder is always returned to your supply if you no longer have meeples on that feature.
  This usually occurs after scoring, but some expansions introduce other ways in which this can happen."

This is for the new art version but the consensus is to always use the latest rules.

Great thanks Paul!

Offline MrNumbers

• Duke Chevalier
  • Merit: 91
    • View Profile
    • Carcassonne Latvia
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2017, 11:02:06 AM »
I think all off us at least agree the builder can be removed, the question was that when you remove your follower if your builder also gets removed.
The answer to that question already has been given, I just pointed to another statement, which wasn't true (bold one):

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
xx
Saint Nicholas Scoring Board why not Santa Claus scoring board?

Started by Windekind

7 Replies
Last post December 06, 2019, 12:31:54 AM
by Murphy013
clip
Scoring Question

Started by dsegel

2 Replies
Last post February 22, 2017, 01:29:41 PM
by Chuck
xx
Scoring Question

Started by Spamless

6 Replies
Last post April 07, 2013, 04:29:46 PM
by Carcking
xx
Castle scoring question

Started by RitaC

1 Replies
Last post April 19, 2015, 07:35:54 PM
by DLloyd09
xx
Castle scoring with a witch in that adjacent city question.

Started by Paul

1 Replies
Last post April 19, 2014, 09:59:09 PM
by Carcking