South Seas
6 (40%)
New World / Mayflower
4 (26.7%)
I've not played both/either.
5 (33.3%)

Total Members Voted: 15

Voting closed: June 11, 2016, 04:40:06 AM

Author Topic: Spinoff HeadtoHead #5 - South Seas vs New World / Mayflower  (Read 3639 times)

Offline Halfling

• Chatelain
  • Merit: 49
  • Welcome tournament 2015 winner.
    • View Profile
Carcassonne is a great tile laying game with infinite expansionability.  It has been reduced to a travel version, reinvented as Carcassonne II, colour changed for the Winter Edition and had luck added in the Wheel of Fortune.  But these are all different flavours with the same playability as the vanilla version we all love and return to again and again.

Variants on a theme are all very well but the tile laying concept can be taken much further, and has been by Hans im Gluck and other companies too.  This series of polls is for the forum to offer thoughts on which is their preferences and why.  I am only including spinoffs by Hans im Gluck through various distributers in this series.

The poll is open for 7 days and then another will be offered up for comments.  It may well be that the 3rd option gets most votes but it'll be the spinoff with the majority that progresses to the next round.

Linkback: https://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/index.php?topic=2770.0
« Last Edit: June 04, 2016, 06:04:49 PM by whaleyland »
The Geek shall inherit the earth if we get a good die role

Offline Whaleyland

• Great Khan
  • Global Moderator
  • Marquis Chevalier
  • Merit: 101
  • Toulouse: Carcassonne's insignificant neighbor.
    • View Profile
    • Derek R. Whaley, PhD | Librarian, Historian, and Writer
Re: Spinoff HeadtoHead #5 - South Seas vs New World / Mayflower
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2016, 06:06:45 PM »
I haven't played South Seas but I have read through the rules and I feel that it is probably more fun than New World, which I have played. The graphics in New World are a bit too photorealistic which makes it harder to see features. The mechanics are closer to the original Carcassonne, minus some obvious differences such as the Surveyors, while South Seas has a bit more revolutionary ideas overall.

Offline kettlefish

• Global Moderator
  • Chatelain Officier
  • Merit: 127
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2016, 10:15:51 PM »
I have only CC-South Seas - I like the graphics. But I miss the score board.

I don't have the Mayflower.

Offline jungleboy

• Viscount Chevalier
  • Merit: 89
  • Nine points!
    • View Profile
    • Spirit of the Camino
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2016, 04:01:29 AM »
This was a touch choice. I don't own either but I have played both of them at CarcC meetups. Both have a unique aspect that differentiates them from the 'standard' spinoffs (AotC, H&G etc) - the resource/scoring of South Seas, and the surveyors of New World. I must say that I quite enjoyed New World when we played it in Oxford, so in the end I chose that. It seems like it requires a bit more foresight and strategy than South Seas?

Offline ny1050220

• Marquis
  • Merit: 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2016, 08:02:32 AM »
I've only played South Seas but I've read the rules of New World. As jungleboy noted, New World requires more foresight and strategy. I believe the only core-idea difference between New World and the standard game is the removal of meeples in unfinished features east of the surveyors (correct me, please, if I missed more important things by just reading the rules). I imagine it's a very unpleasant moment to have a meeple removed from a monster city-to-close. Your opponent(s) may strategically score small cities and short road frequently and expedite the movement of the surveyors.
South Seas offers a peace of mind in terms of removing meeples. You can voluntarily retrieve a meeple without scoring, anytime, given that you don't place a meeple in that turn. It's like 10 year festival all the time! Much of your attention can then be devoted to deciding whether you want to harvest more shells or bananas (in some cases fishes) if you want to load that 6-point ship.
Special thanks to Hounk, to me who introduced Yucata.de and South Seas thereby.

Offline Halfling

• Chatelain
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2016, 10:50:43 AM »
I went for New World / Mayflower.  It worked really well with 5 of us playing at Thirsty Meeples, it's great that the scoreboard doubles as the start tile.

South Seas is fun but it didn't get my vote.

Offline JoeSesquipedalian

• Duke
  • Merit: 10
  • ǝuuossɐɔɹɐɔ
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2016, 01:21:07 PM »
These are two of my favorite spin-offs of the ones I've played, along with Gold Rush as another winner.  I just recently played each of them for the first couple of times but I love them both.   It was really hard for me to decide. 

I like the resource collection and scoring elements of South Seas, especially the fishing.  The tiles are pleasant looking and the game definitely has a refreshing feel to hit.

I really like the tiles and the 'westward expansion' of the board in New World.  The surveyors and the rushing to complete features of really makes the game a lot of fun and forces you to be creative.

Overall I had to choose New World, only because I feel like enjoy playing it slightly more than South Seas.  They are both great games. 
Who got a smudge on the tile?

Offline JT Atomico

• Marquis
  • Merit: 61
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2016, 02:57:48 AM »
I voted for South Seas. I really like the ship collecting scoring mechanic and that the game can end before the tiles run out if all of the ships are gone. Both of those make it very different from other variants. It is also very effective at making it worth going for every type of feature throughout the game, since you always need a mix of the resources. The tropical island theming is also very cool. 8)

I think that South Seas might be my favourite spin-off.

Offline Halfling

• Chatelain
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2016, 02:55:35 PM »
South Seas wins this headtohead 6 to 4.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
xx
Spinoff HeadtoHead #2 - Star Wars vs Over Hill and Dale

Started by Halfling

4 Replies
Last post June 06, 2016, 07:11:47 PM
by franks
xx
Spinoff headtohead QF#1 - Kids of Carcassonne vs The Castle

Started by Halfling

4 Replies
Last post June 21, 2016, 08:01:32 AM