Author Topic: Few questions after we played a big game with 8 expansions  (Read 4072 times)

Offline walt_ua

• Vagabond
  • Merit: 0
  • Tile hunter
    • View Profile
Few questions after we played a big game with 8 expansions
« on: February 07, 2017, 09:47:25 AM »
1. We had a situation where 2 Cathedrals were already placed on board next to each other. One of the Cathedrals had an empty slot adjacent to it that would only fit a special Abbey tile from Abbey and Mayor expansion. The question was - does the Abbey count as a Cathedral and therefore it is not allowed for it to touch 2 or more other Cathedrals? Or it might be universally placed anywhere, even next to two adjacent Cathedrals?

2. Who gets the Robber tile - the one who built the longest road, or the one who built the road that scored the most points (with inns)?

3. There are tiles with bazaars on the road - does it mean that the road is split?

4. How do you resolve the Castle King tile own-age - who gets it in a weird situation, when 2 or more players get same amount of points for the same huge caste (for ex. multiple meeples from other players jump to finished castle from the 'central Carcassonne', there is an  adjacent castle with a fief, who also gets same amount of points, etc).

Linkback: https://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/index.php?topic=3159.0
« Last Edit: February 07, 2017, 10:03:51 AM by walt_ua, Reason: clarification »
WL

Offline jungleboy

• Viscount Chevalier
  • Merit: 89
  • Nine points!
    • View Profile
    • Spirit of the Camino
Re: Few questions after we played a big game with 8 expansions
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2017, 10:07:08 AM »
1. We had a situation where 2 Cathedrals were already placed on board next to each other. One of the Cathedrals had an empty slot adjacent to it that would only fit a special Abbey tile from Abbey and Mayor expansion. The question was - does the Abbey count as a Cathedral and therefore it is not allowed for it to touch 2 or more other Cathedrals? Or it might be universally placed anywhere, even next to two adjacent Cathedrals?

The abbey is not a cathedral, it's a cloister. As long as the four surrounding orthogonal tiles are in place (creating a hole), you can place the abbey. So in this case, yes, you can place it.

2. Who gets the Robber tile - the one who built the longest road, or the one who built the road that scored the most points (with inns)?

The player who completes (not necessarily scores) the longest road in number of tiles.

3. There are tiles with bazaars on the road - does it mean that the road is split?

Yes.

4. How do you resolve the Castle King tile own-age - who gets it in a weird situation, when 2 or more players get same amount of points for the same huge caste (for ex. multiple meeples from other players jump to finished castle from the 'central Carcassonne', there is an  adjacent castle with a fief, who also gets same amount of points, etc).

As above with the Robber baron, it's the player who completes the city (i.e. places the last tile), not necessarily the player(s) who score points from it.

Offline walt_ua

• Vagabond
  • Merit: 0
  • Tile hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2017, 01:01:23 PM »
Hmm, how about we have two adjacent cloisters and and empty space next to one of them? Can we put an Abbey into it?

As above with the Robber baron, it's the player who completes the city (i.e. places the last tile), not necessarily the player(s) who score points from it.

Can you elaborate a bit more on this?
« Last Edit: February 07, 2017, 01:03:26 PM by walt_ua, Reason: clarify »

Offline thodekey

• Count
  • Merit: 9
  • I feel Carc-complete or do I?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2017, 01:05:42 PM »
Hmm, how about we have two adjacent cloisters and and empty space next to one of them? Can we put an Abbey into it?

You can only put an abbey in it when there are tiles on 4 sides of the abbey.  Most of the answers to your questions can be found on this thread: http://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/index.php?topic=60.0
It reads like al long book but it's quite intriguing and it shows which expansions you still might hunt down...

Offline jungleboy

• Viscount Chevalier
  • Merit: 89
  • Nine points!
    • View Profile
    • Spirit of the Camino
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2017, 01:17:12 PM »

The king and robber baron tiles go to the player who places the tile that completes the largest city and longest road, respectively. This player may or may not score from the completion of the feature. So if you're playing a two-player game and your opponent has built an unfinished, six-tile road that is the longest currently in the game, you could be the player who places the final tile to complete the road for your opponent. This would give your opponent the seven points for the road, but it gives you the robber baron tile.

Offline Just a Bill

• Marquis
  • Merit: 47
  • I'm still in beta.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2017, 04:15:50 AM »
As long as the four surrounding orthogonal tiles are in place (creating a hole), you can place the abbey.

If I'm not mistaken, the only time you can't place an abbey into a 'hole' is when it would touch two or more shrines (orthogonally and/or diagonally).
My stuff: The Caverns of Carcassonne | Wheel of Fortune versions | True North (wind roses) | Icon facelifts | Converting CII to CI | Signposts & the Château | The Vault | Riverboats & the Whirlpool | trade list

Offline Paul

• Marquis Chevalier
  • Merit: 86
    • View Profile
    • sydby.com
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2017, 05:03:15 AM »
As long as the four surrounding orthogonal tiles are in place (creating a hole), you can place the abbey.

If I'm not mistaken, the only time you can't place an abbey into a 'hole' is when it would touch two or more shrines (orthogonally and/or diagonally).

Sounds about right. On page 84 of CAR 7.4, footnote 258 mentioned this:

258 The rules that restrict the placement of cloisters next to already placed shrines also restrict the placement of abbeys.
World record holder for a single game of Carcassonne using 10 007 tiles!

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
question
A few WHAT IF questions regarding save and load and local and remote games

Started by Gerry

2 Replies
Last post December 20, 2014, 01:24:10 AM
by farin
xx
A few odd questions...

Started by Christopher

3 Replies
Last post November 04, 2016, 07:58:25 AM
by ny1050220
xx
Least fun Carcassonne game you've played?

Started by Doom_Shark

13 Replies
Last post August 18, 2022, 02:18:01 AM
by Decar
clip
Craziest game I ever played (and won!)

Started by CraftyRaf

3 Replies
Last post November 28, 2021, 09:31:18 AM
by CraftyRaf
xx
Imperial game played Jan 9, 2016