Author Topic: Princess<-->Phantom rule clarification  (Read 11011 times)

Offline rfielder

• Marquis
  • Merit: 10
  • Carcassonne Beginner
    • View Profile
    • Cool Country Nights
Re: Princess<-->Phantom rule clarification
« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2014, 03:52:47 PM »
I think this sounds right. It’s enough that you can take the city with a tower and then the phantom. It would be too easy if you could use the princess the same way.  :meeple:
Darwin - please read my response to this interpretation of the rule, and my post in the Official Rules section asking for an official rules.

The main thing about your quote from the CAR - the CAR uses an incomplete quote, and is referring to a rule created before the Phantom was introduced.
Robert Fielder
Brampton, Ontario, Canada  EST

Offline Darwin

• Duke
  • Merit: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2014, 06:15:48 PM »
I agree that we need an official clarification rfielder.

But in my humble opinion - if the removal of a knight from a city with the princess is the "move the wood" turn, you can’t place the phantom in the city. If you can place it at all, you have to place the phantom on another structure on the tile. As I se it, you have already used your first "move the wood" turn on the city and that excludes the placement of the phantom in the same city. In my mind this is the same as with the flyer and the portal. You can’t use a portal and a flying machine with both a follower and then a phantom.

I just checked the IOS Carcassonne. There the use of the princess excludes the use of the phantom too. I don't know how involved Hans im Glück have been in the game, but they have approved it.

Maybe not so important - but this concerns the shepherd too. The adding of another sheep or scoring your flock always follows the "move the wood" turn. So what do you do when the princess (and you use it) adds to the farm where you have your Shepherd?

Offline MrNumbers

• Duke Chevalier
  • Merit: 91
    • View Profile
    • Carcassonne Latvia
« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2014, 10:32:21 PM »
if the removal of a knight from a city with the princess is the "move the wood" turn, you can’t place the phantom in the city. If you can place it at all, you have to place the phantom on another structure on the tile. As I see it, you have already used your first "move the wood" turn on the city and that excludes the placement of the phantom in the same city.

It is a VERY GOOD point! :(y) It can cut off all the questions! And it separates Princess from Tower, where "move the wood" applies to another structure (tower) thus Phantom CAN be placed in now free city.

Maybe not so important - but this concerns the shepherd too. The adding of another sheep or scoring your flock always follows the "move the wood" turn. So what do you do when the princess (and you use it) adds to the farm where you have your Shepherd?

Shepherd actions is something different from "move the wood". I agree that you cannot place shepherd after using the Princess, but still you can expand your flock or score your sheep.
"I never lose. Either I win or I learn." (Nelson Mandela)

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
  • Merit: 293
  • "First to 4 points wins?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 05, 2014, 11:20:32 PM »
Just to clarify where I stand on this, I'm happy to go with what the official ruling is. If this isn't allowed then that's fine with me as long as we're certain that this is definitely the case. I'm only contesting it because it isn't clear whether the suggestion that this isn't allowed is based on guidance from HiG or whether it's assumed, correctly or otherwise, from a selection of other rules regarding other expansions.  C:-)

In my mind this is the same as with the flyer and the portal. You can’t use a portal and a flying machine with both a follower and then a phantom.

A good point indeed!  :)

I will admit that I don't follow the official rules as closely as many other members here do, but I do think it's worth noting that there's an important difference between using the Princess to remove a knight and claiming a magic portal or a flying machine. This is that the magic portal/ flying machine is completed by the first move the wood phase, meaning they can't be claimed again with the phantom. Whereas using the Princess doesn't complete the city (in most cases, although in some it may do I suppose) but leaves it incomplete and for the purpose of this discussion, unclaimed (otherwise there certainly wouldn't be a case for claiming it with a phantom).

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
xx
Cathars/Besiegers rule clarification

Started by MrNumbers

7 Replies
Last post November 15, 2014, 11:16:53 PM
by danisthirty
xx
Rule Clarification - Gold Mine

Started by Allan in Brisbane

4 Replies
Last post November 28, 2014, 01:32:13 AM
by Allan in Brisbane
xx
Mage and Witch rule clarification

Started by TimBoPavey

2 Replies
Last post January 29, 2015, 07:07:43 AM
by TimBoPavey
xx
watchtowers question/rule clarification...

Started by robnhill

4 Replies
Last post February 01, 2017, 11:55:17 PM
by GeorG
xx
RGG "Princess" rule change a case of wrong trsl. or established for "retheming"

Started by Hounk

0 Replies
Last post July 09, 2015, 01:30:40 AM
by Hounk