Author Topic: Basis game with 73 tiles!  (Read 2652 times)

Offline Windekind

• Nobleman
  • Merit: 12
  • keep smiling
    • View Profile
Basis game with 73 tiles!
« on: January 29, 2019, 02:48:34 AM »
We were playing carcassonne with 2 players. At the end of the game we realized that we did not work well with the number of tiles. My first thought, there is a tile from one of the expansion. The king and the robber baron, in the separate expansion has 5 tiles where there are no symbols on it. I thought one tile is too much, from this expansion, but it was not true. The next step I have laid the tiles separately according to the 'Consolidated Tile Reference' in CAR 7.3. There I came to the conclusion that I had a tile of crfr too much. My basic game comes from the Big Box 5 and there I saw that instead of 72 tiles (with starting tile) there were 73 (with starting tiles).
That's weird!

Linkback: https://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/index.php?topic=4205.0

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
  • Merit: 293
  • "First to 4 points wins?"
    • View Profile
Re: Basis game with 73 tiles!
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2019, 03:56:35 AM »
Although I had no idea that such a change had been made, this makes a lot of sense.

Since the starting tile doesn't really belong to anyone and isn't claimable, a basegame of Carcassonne consists of 71 drawable tiles which can't be evenly split between any number of players (unless you have 71 players and everyone gets to place 1 tile each which wouldn't feel like much of a game and the scoretrack would be very cluttered).

72 is a lovely number though as it can be split evenly between 2, 3, 4, 6 or more players. I've always felt that Carcassonne was missing a tile because of this, so it's good to see an extra one added. This said, I probably wouldn't have chosen another crfr to make up the numbers, although I'm not sure what I would. Another cfcf perhaps? Not sure...

Offline totor66

• Count
  • Merit: 18
  • Carcassonne semi completionnist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2019, 04:33:13 AM »
It is actually normal, BB5 came with an extra "replacement tile" of the starting tile but with normal back, so that player can still have the normal 72 in case they want to play with the river :)
Carcassonne Fan since 2014

Offline Windekind

• Nobleman
  • Merit: 12
  • keep smiling
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2019, 04:47:31 AM »
It is actually normal, BB5 came with an extra "replacement tile" of the starting tile but with normal back, so that player can still have the normal 72 in case they want to play with the river

But if you play with the river, why would you want to play with 72 tiles and not with 71 as always. The river tiles are then your starting tiles.
In the new version of carcassonne they also do not use 73 tiles, even though the river extension is also included.

It might be an interesting fact for wikicarpedia.com that there are 73 tiles in the BB5 instead of 72.

Offline Halfling

• Chatelain
  • Merit: 49
  • Welcome tournament 2015 winner.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2019, 05:41:28 AM »
Extra tiles, even just 1 extra has to be a good thing
The Geek shall inherit the earth if we get a good die role

Offline Valheru

• Marquis
  • Merit: 19
  • More tiles, less rules!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2019, 08:56:08 AM »
Extra tiles, even just 1 extra has to be a good thing
Hallelujah good sir!
"In his house at R'lyeh, dead Cthulhu waits dreaming..."

Offline totor66

• Count
  • Carcassonne semi completionnist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2023, 03:36:57 AM »
Sorry for the gravedig, but has someone already thought about making some statistics abount win% for the starting player ?

In case of a 2 player game, I am sure there is some advantage to start (drawing 1 tile more specifically), can we extract some data from jcloisterzone for example ?

Offline Bumsakalaka

• Count Chevalier
  • Merit: 31
  • Fan of Fan expansions
    • View Profile
    • www.scifi.sk
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2023, 10:00:29 AM »
Every exra tile is fine. It enlarge game. So we play games with around 150-200 tiles. It's nice usually 3 hour game, with some glasses of wine :)
Check JCloisterZone Add-ons with fan expansions and also some Slovak sci/fi projects in English https://www.scifi.sk/en/

Offline PapaGeek

• Count
  • The box needs a highly addictive warning label
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2023, 02:12:29 PM »
Every exra tile is fine. It enlarge game. So we play games with around 150-200 tiles. It's nice usually 3 hour game, with some glasses of wine :)
We agree with Bumsakalaka, extra tiles are fine!

Our basic game is played with the 4 River Center Scoreboard, 71 Basic tiles, 24 River I & II tiles, 18 Inns and Cathedrals tiles, 24 Trader and Builder tiles, plus 8 Flying Machine and 8 Fan Expansion Fliers; for a total of 154 tiles.  We use all 8 Meeples (one for scoring) plus the Abbot, Large Meeple, Phantom, Wagon, and builder; and of course the Bridges.

The basic game takes about 2 or 3 hours depending on the amount of wine we consume!

Depending on our mood of the day, we also have played with the 6 Besieged City tiles, 20 Big Top tile with the ringmaster, and occasionally the Halflings.

We are now beginning to consider the 15 20th Anniversary tiles.
Totally addicted to this game

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
xx
2 player 110 tiles game (Without the base game tiles)

Started by SRBO

3 Replies
Last post August 17, 2015, 02:01:56 AM
by SRBO
clip
WTS Russian Promo tiles (2016, 4 tiles - the whole set)

Started by Push

17 Replies
Last post December 03, 2017, 10:54:06 PM
by aenima
clip
[Closed] WTS Russian Promo tiles (2016, 4 tiles) IN FRAMES+Russian_Promo_coaster

Started by Push

4 Replies
Last post October 22, 2018, 01:41:49 PM
by Push
clip
{Closed} WTS Russian Promo tiles (4 tiles) + Russian_Promo_coaster

Started by Push

8 Replies
Last post April 24, 2018, 12:22:19 PM
by asp204
clip
{Sold} WTS Russian Promo tiles (2016, 4 tiles)+Russian_Promo_coaster