The Thief
10 (16.4%)
The Maiden
6 (9.8%)
The Pig Rider
6 (9.8%)
I don't care which box my game comes in
9 (14.8%)
I don't care which box my game comes in, so long as the original artwork is inside
17 (27.9%)
Carcassonne II box
13 (21.3%)

Total Members Voted: 61

Author Topic: Favouritism Poll #4 : Base Game Box Art  (Read 14059 times)

Offline jungleboy

• Viscount Chevalier
  • Merit: 89
  • Nine points!
    • View Profile
    • Spirit of the Camino
Re: Favouritism Poll #4 : Base Game Box Art
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2016, 06:01:07 AM »
When this poll first came out I was travelling and didn’t have access to my box. I only have one base game box and I don’t keep my game in it anymore because I have the Basically Wooden boxes, so I couldn’t remember (or verify) what my box was. Instinctively, I liked the thief box the best of the ones that Decar presented.

So it was a pleasant surprise to look at my box today and discover that this is the box that I have :)

I also like the less prominent SdJ mention than many of the alternatives.

Offline hunnymonster

• Duke
  • Merit: 11
  • An ugly bag of mainly water
    • View Profile
    • The Shaving Room - a UK-based community for traditional grooming
« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2016, 06:09:16 AM »
No love for the 10 Year Anniversary box or the Müller Special Edition Tin? :D
Whatever it is, it's probably in the post from Germany...

Offline Decar

• Owner
  • Chatelain Grand Officier
  • Merit: 317
  • Shut up and take my money!
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net
« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2016, 10:27:17 AM »
It seems like with 13 votes, most people don't care what box the games comes in as long as there is only old Carcassonne art work inside.

Interestingly no one has voted for Carcassonne II.

As always, thanks for sharing your views and even pictures this week  :(y)

This thread and poll will remain open so that future users can share their thoughts too, but for now we're doing another completionists poll all about Abbots; this seems very apt considering how unfortunate Carcassonne II did this week!

Offline Christopher

• Count
  • Merit: 12
  • It's not the years, it's the mileage.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2016, 10:41:06 AM »
I've only just got round to reading this thread, and... I voted CII. I like it! Apart from the player shadow, which is weird, I like the people, I like the birds in the sky, and the castle looks good. I like the fresh look. It's nice!

I still prefer the tile artwork of the original Carcassonne (naturally!) but I do like CII's box.
Look to the north. Keep looking. There's nothing coming from the south.

Offline jungleboy

• Viscount Chevalier
  • Merit: 89
  • Nine points!
    • View Profile
    • Spirit of the Camino
« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2017, 03:55:35 AM »
Edit: Also the Brazilian first edition looks like a totally different game, more like a duelling card game than Carcassonne.

I only just saw this today for the first time. Edit: or at least I never remembered seeing it before, but surely I must have because it is on the first page of this thread.
No wonder Decar is desperate for a copy!

Picture from BGG.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2017, 03:59:59 AM by jungleboy »

Offline Decar

• Owner
  • Chatelain Grand Officier
  • Merit: 317
  • Shut up and take my money!
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net
« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2017, 12:25:07 PM »
Yeah, it's the first edition from Brazil - by the time I found it, it was already out of print.  I have a photo of the postman thread somewhere of the 2nd edition.  The liberties they took with the box are hilarious!  It also have an ever so slightly unique scoretrack.

Offline ozgurceylan

• Villein
  • Merit: 5
  • I haven't updated my profile yet!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2017, 04:43:28 PM »
Edit: Also the Brazilian first edition looks like a totally different game, more like a duelling card game than Carcassonne.

I only just saw this today for the first time. Edit: or at least I never remembered seeing it before, but surely I must have because it is on the first page of this thread.
No wonder Decar is desperate for a copy!

Picture from BGG.

You can see back side of the tiles in the photos attached. They seem quirky to me.

Offline Just a Bill

• Marquis
  • Merit: 47
  • I'm still in beta.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 19, 2017, 11:06:26 AM »
Early editions of the game come with a Knight and a Thief on the box art.

And a farmer, and a monk. I quite like that all four follower-types were represented, an this is probably my favorite cover for that reason. (It's also the cover I own, since I bought my base game in 2000 or 2001.)

The third box, is very different.  The castle has had a face lift and so have the Knight and Maiden - They're now smiling

And the maiden's neckline has dropped significantly. Sort of an intermediate step in moving from innocent peasant to the royal temptress we see on the CII box.

the new box art ... The (somewhat creepy) shadow of the player can even be seen, breaking the fourth wall.  It's clear there's adventure to be had in this box and you'll be part of it.

I've tried to interpret the story that's going on here. Clearly the princess is the only one aware of the player, and she's quite pleased about something. Meanwhile, her brother the prince, or her betrothed (some other land's prince), or perhaps the captain of the guard, is quite unhappy. The story this all suggests to me goes something like this:
  • You (the hormone-laden young human viewing the cover art) have had some inappropriate interactions with the princess, and you have been found out. The royal family was alerted and now a castle-wide manhunt is on to bring you to justice. You threw a makeshift bedcloth rope out your chamber window as a diversion, then quickly but quietly crept your way to a seldom-used upper tower to wait until the coast is clear. Soon, everyone will have assumed you got away — everyone, that is, except the princess, who gives you a cautious wink and awaits your next clandestine encounter.
The point of the story, then, is this marketing message: Buy this game now, you princess-wooing stud, you.

It looks a whole lot better than that Brazilian atrocity, but really both of these covers tell stories that are ridiculously inapplicable to the game.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2017, 11:07:57 AM by Just a Bill »
My stuff: The Caverns of Carcassonne | Wheel of Fortune versions | True North (wind roses) | Icon facelifts | Converting CII to CI | Signposts & the Château | The Vault | Riverboats & the Whirlpool | trade list

Offline franks

• Marquis
  • Merit: 26
  • I love Carcassonne
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 19, 2017, 11:36:33 AM »

The third box, is very different.  The castle has had a face lift and so have the Knight and Maiden - They're now smiling

And the maiden's neckline has dropped significantly. Sort of an intermediate step in moving from innocent peasant to the royal temptress we see on the CII box.

the new box art ... The (somewhat creepy) shadow of the player can even be seen, breaking the fourth wall.  It's clear there's adventure to be had in this box and you'll be part of it.

I've tried to interpret the story that's going on here. Clearly the princess is the only one aware of the player, and she's quite pleased about something. Meanwhile, her brother the prince, or her betrothed (some other land's prince), or perhaps the captain of the guard, is quite unhappy. The story this all suggests to me goes something like this:
  • You (the hormone-laden young human viewing the cover art) have had some inappropriate interactions with the princess, and you have been found out. The royal family was alerted and now a castle-wide manhunt is on to bring you to justice. You threw a makeshift bedcloth rope out your chamber window as a diversion, then quickly but quietly crept your way to a seldom-used upper tower to wait until the coast is clear. Soon, everyone will have assumed you got away — everyone, that is, except the princess, who gives you a cautious wink and awaits your next clandestine encounter.
The point of the story, then, is this marketing message: Buy this game now, you princess-wooing stud, you.

It looks a whole lot better than that Brazilian atrocity, but really both of these covers tell stories that are ridiculously inapplicable to the game.

Since you've revived this old thread and shared your speculative thoughts on the cover, it comes to mind that I don't think I ever shared my own story on the cover. For what it's worth, here it goes:

Love it or hate it there are some intriguing features on the new box cover!

I recall a BGG post when the first Zman edition came out of some fun banter on the cover and I thought the shadowy figure might be more reason to speculate on the stories behind the picture.

I know there have been some thoughts about this already but thought I would also offer up some ideas.

Who in fact is the shadowy figure…on the bottom right of the box?

Just behind the ‘Z’ in Z-man version there is a shadowy figure. Who could that be? Speculations say it is the Phantom but could it be ‘you’ the game player?

Is the Princess looking at you, with an engaging smile or could it be the shadowy figure, perhaps its in fact the scheming Mayor!?

And what’s with the Thief in the tower? Is he a prisoner? Is he signaling the Shadowy figure with the colored flags?

Perhaps the Princess is in on a scheme and they are setting up the knight for a big fall? He is looking a bit precarious to that wall edge!!!

Conversely the shadowy figure could actually be a monk or Abbot who is actually looking over and protecting them both?

???

Franks

Wanna play Carc? Can we add just one more expansion?

Offline LaPorxada (aka BigBoss)

• Count
  • Merit: 28
  • updated 2022
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 19, 2017, 04:50:16 PM »
A very good review of the german game boxes:
https://www.carcassonne-forum.de/viewtopic.php?f=277&t=2361

Credits: Heiko69@CarcF

;D
I'm looking for:
● Carcassonne shopdisplays (esp.dicegame.+ Minis ger.)
● Carcassonne Στα Κάστρα του Μυστρά (2002) Greek first edition
● Carcassonne - chinese Sur knight kings editions
● ETCOC / WTCOC 2020 commemorative tiles
& more -> https://ibb.co/cCcm4SB

Offline Whaleyland

• Great Khan
  • Global Moderator
  • Marquis Chevalier
  • Merit: 101
  • Toulouse: Carcassonne's insignificant neighbor.
    • View Profile
    • Derek R. Whaley, PhD | Librarian, Historian, and Writer
« Reply #25 on: September 19, 2017, 07:49:36 PM »
Wow! The woman's neckline does get lower. Granted, it just shows more of her undershirt, but still, that seemed unnecessary. I miss the thief, although I appreciate the presence of a woman on the cover.

Offline aenima

• Viscount
  • Merit: 37
  • !!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 19, 2017, 11:09:24 PM »
It also have an ever so slightly unique scoretrack.

On the 0 space there is the logo of the company, right?

And the only other relevant difference is the back of the tile?

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
clip
Favouritism Poll #8 : Large Expansion Box Art (Old Art)

Started by dirk2112

11 Replies
Last post February 10, 2017, 07:16:40 AM
by Karcalijn
grin
Favouritism Poll #2 - The Base Game Rules

Started by Decar

17 Replies
Last post March 23, 2016, 12:06:06 PM
by Decar
exclamation
Completionism Poll #10 - Favouritism Poll #3 : Die Schule