Author Topic: Carcassonne for 8 Players  (Read 34214 times)

Offline Christopher

• Count
  • Merit: 12
  • It's not the years, it's the mileage.
    • View Profile
Re: Carcassonne for 8 Players
« Reply #45 on: March 09, 2015, 03:12:18 AM »
But, if they were thinking about scaling sheep and wolves, don't you think, that they would have started with that right from the beginning? Providing rules, that you, lets say, have to include only 9 sheep tokens, when playing with 2 players, 12 when playing with 3, etc? After all, the difference in the likeness of drawing wolfs is bigger between 2 and 6 players, then between 6 and 8 players.

Possibly, but I don't know that scaling would suit the Sheep mechanism (I realise that contradicts what I said earlier, but let me explain). Things such as castles and towers were scaled to prevent them from being too powerful. This doesn't really apply to the sheep because you'd be hard pressed to come up with a way to use your flock of sheep against another player. The numbers of sheep and wolf tokens given in the expansion have (hopefully) been tested with numbers up to six players. I have played with two, three and four players, and the only noticeable difference is that that your flock is smaller. Scaling the expansion would be unnecessarily complex. This falls apart, however, when you add more players, because the difference which was largely negligible with up to six players becomes more and more prominent.

So you could keep the numbers static for up to six players, but add more as you add more players.   
Look to the north. Keep looking. There's nothing coming from the south.

Offline Whaleyland

• Great Khan
  • Global Moderator
  • Marquis Chevalier
  • Merit: 101
  • Toulouse: Carcassonne's insignificant neighbor.
    • View Profile
    • Derek R. Whaley, PhD | Librarian, Historian, and Writer
« Reply #46 on: March 09, 2015, 03:27:39 AM »
Well, I didn't say it was well thought out scaling. But I don't see a marketing value to the new River I features. The special version of River I is only in Big Box 5 and the expansion is not even advertised on the box as unique. The addition is clearly not for marketing purposes or they would have made a bigger deal about it. The fact that they didn't and still haven't made these tiles available outside the BB5 suggests to me that they were intended for integration and scaling within the box and not for anything else.

Offline Christopher

• Count
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 09, 2015, 06:00:47 AM »
I agree with the unique River I being included for integration. It could be done to make the individual expansions more compatible. Or, not compatible, exactly, but interlinked. Most expansions are completely independent of one another, which is great because it means you can play them separately, but it also means there is less play-ability when combining. The sheep and the vineyard being present on the River I are akin to the volcano in the River II and the inn in Bridges, Castles and Bazaars.

Offline Christopher

• Count
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 18, 2016, 01:52:44 AM »
I thought I'd continue this thread rather than start a new one, because, well, why the devil not?

I've just placed a large Cundco order to make my Carcassonne collection playable for ten players. Why I have done this, I'm not quite sure, as I usually play with six people. I did once play with about 12 people, but we did teams of two.

Anyway. Initially I was just going to order the additional meeples I needed to complete the purple set I have from BB5. Then I thought that it was little use having a complete set of pink and purple followers if I didn't have the other means to support them playing. So I ordered some more tower pieces, castle tokens, abbey tiles and bridges. Then for completion, I also ordered catapult tokens (yes, I know). Then I thought, I might as well go all in, and ordered white and orange followers. And the additional pieces I needed for them to play. Which also included an additional set of phantoms I had to procure from elsewhere.

Then I realised I would need halfling tiles for everyone. Fortunately, I already have both sets of halflings, which solves that little problem. However.

Does anyone see where I'm going with this?

I realised I also needed a second set of German Castles. If each player is to be given one at the beginning of the game, one set isn't enough for even an eight player game. So, also in my order was a second set of German Castles. I hadn't considered this when initially thinking of expanding. It's also a shame to have the same castles twice, do you think we can ask Mrs Matthaus and the nice people at HIG to do another set of castles for us so we can play with more people?  >:D

The order ended up being rather large. Still, I am short tunnel tokens, which I'll probably make myself, and Little Buildings, so if anyone has a spare copy of the latter they are willing to part with, please let me know!

Oh, and in addition, if anyone has been following my slow descent into madness as I wrestle with my inner demons on the matter of to buy or not to buy Carcassonne II, and is wondering...

Yes, I did order abbots in the additional colours.

Damn myself twelve ways.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2016, 04:52:36 AM by MrNumbers, Reason: Merged 2 posts »

Offline Decar

• Owner
  • Chatelain Grand Officier
  • Merit: 317
  • Shut up and take my money!
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net
« Reply #49 on: March 18, 2016, 04:31:43 AM »
You'll feel much better once you've popped those tiles and played a game or two with them.

Safari, sent me some lovely extra tunnel pieces for Christmas.  I meant to take a photo!  He might be able to offer some tunnel clues :)

Offline Karcalijn

• Freeman
  • Merit: 3
  • I call purple!
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 18, 2016, 05:54:40 AM »
I thought I'd continue this thread rather than start a new one, because, well, why the devil not?

I've just placed a large Cundco order to make my Carcassonne collection playable for ten players.

Smart thinking in both statements. I have a ten player set and i have read this topic several times.

So I ordered some more tower pieces, castle tokens, abbey tiles and bridges. Then for completion, I also ordered catapult tokens (yes, I know).

My problem is that we discoverd Carcassonne pretty late so i just recently got the remaining big expansions i still missed. That means that i keep running after the facts with the 10 player sets. I have enough scoring tiles, all the meeples from all the expansions and extra abbey tiles. But i'm still missing extra bridges, castles, tower pieces and catapult tokens. I get why you want those to, it's just having the possibility to play catapult with 10 players and to have a complete set  ;)

I take it you ordered 8 extra bridges and castles? Thats what i was thinking about since reading this topic. Two per person extra. But how meany tower pieces did you order? I'm still not sure, i get why people say that you need 5 per person, since thats what the rules say for six players. But the rules also downscale the numbers of pieces when you ad more players. So maybe 5 is to much. But how many then, since 2 or phiewer doesnt get the result you want in the game.

Which also included an additional set of phantoms I had to procure from elsewhere.

Really?! In alernate colours? Where did you get those? I'm looking for these a while now! I don't want to buy the original phantoms unless i can get the 4 alternate colours to (i have the same colours as you have)
This is the game, those are the rules and that is how it should be played!

Offline Christopher

• Count
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 18, 2016, 06:27:26 AM »
So I ordered some more tower pieces, castle tokens, abbey tiles and bridges. Then for completion, I also ordered catapult tokens (yes, I know).

My problem is that we discoverd Carcassonne pretty late so i just recently got the remaining big expansions i still missed. That means that i keep running after the facts with the 10 player sets. I have enough scoring tiles, all the meeples from all the expansions and extra abbey tiles. But i'm still missing extra bridges, castles, tower pieces and catapult tokens. I get why you want those to, it's just having the possibility to play catapult with 10 players and to have a complete set  ;)

I take it you ordered 8 extra bridges and castles? Thats what i was thinking about since reading this topic. Two per person extra. But how meany tower pieces did you order? I'm still not sure, i get why people say that you need 5 per person, since thats what the rules say for six players. But the rules also downscale the numbers of pieces when you ad more players. So maybe 5 is to much. But how many then, since 2 or phiewer doesnt get the result you want in the game.

Eight bridges and eight castles, so that each player can have two. I know it scales, but only having one of each wouldn't seem like enough to me. I even thought about ordering more, so that players can have more than two or even more than three in large games. If you consider that in a game with the base game and BC&B players have two or three castle tokens to 84 tiles, in a several-hundred tiled game, that isn't very much. But I digress.

I did order 20 additional tower pieces so that each player could have five. However, I may yet scale it down. I play to do some play testing. Five may turn out to be far too many with ten players. But, again, I would probably base it on how many tiles we are using.

Which also included an additional set of phantoms I had to procure from elsewhere.

Really?! In alernate colours? Where did you get those? I'm looking for these a while now! I don't want to buy the original phantoms unless i can get the 4 alternate colours to (i have the same colours as you have)

Standard colours, I'm afraid. I plan to mark them in some way to differentiate them. I just didn't want the alternate coloured players to miss out!
« Last Edit: March 18, 2016, 09:05:01 AM by Christopher »

Offline Karcalijn

• Freeman
  • Merit: 3
  • I call purple!
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 18, 2016, 08:48:08 AM »
So eight bridges and castles. I think i'm gonna go with that to. Although you make a good point about the big games. Do you have 20 tunnel tokens or tower pieces? That bit is a little confusing to me. We don't play with the tunnels (so far) so i'm not going to need them. On the other hand, the last time i thought i had everything it didn't go so well with all the expanding since then.

To bad that the phantoms are standard colours. But i think it's a nice solution you came up with. If i would have the base set of phantoms i would do that to. Now i'm just restraining myself from buying the phantoms :P

Offline Christopher

• Count
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 18, 2016, 09:05:39 AM »
So eight bridges and castles. I think i'm gonna go with that to. Although you make a good point about the big games. Do you have 20 tunnel tokens or tower pieces? That bit is a little confusing to me. We don't play with the tunnels (so far) so i'm not going to need them. On the other hand, the last time i thought i had everything it didn't go so well with all the expanding since then.

Sorry, I meant 20 tower pieces. I was in a hurry  :P

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
xx
Carcassonne with Teams of 2 (or more players)

Started by Halfling

6 Replies
Last post November 05, 2017, 05:07:00 AM
by SamoolSamosa
xx
How many players in your normal Carcassonne games?

Started by PapaGeek

11 Replies
Last post October 08, 2022, 11:23:52 AM
by DIN0
clip
(Translated) Labyrinths of Carcassonne - Official Advanced Players Variant Rules

Started by ozgurceylan

11 Replies
Last post April 27, 2017, 09:10:43 AM
by Just a Bill
question
Carcassonne for more than 6 players?

Started by Nebus

19 Replies
Last post September 22, 2014, 11:12:47 AM
by SRBO
xx
Preparations for National championships (4-players game)

Started by Halfling

11 Replies
Last post April 27, 2017, 10:28:54 AM
by Halfling