Author Topic: Carcassonne Central: Advent Quiz MMXVIII  (Read 23999 times)

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
  • Merit: 293
  • "First to 4 points wins?"
    • View Profile
Re: Carcassonne Central: Advent Quiz MMXVIII
« Reply #60 on: December 28, 2018, 07:25:36 AM »
It's not too late to have points taken away y'know... C:-)

Offline Decar

• Owner
  • Chatelain Grand Officier
  • Merit: 317
  • Shut up and take my money!
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net
« Reply #61 on: December 28, 2018, 07:27:19 AM »
so long as it's not too late to earn an extra one, it's not too late.

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: December 28, 2018, 07:28:24 AM »
Q17:
Although it's been a quiet year for online tournaments, TheAwesomeTheSteveAllen has worked hard establishing our all-new Carcassonne Central Divisional League system which is already proving popular among those players who have been able to schedule any matches ::). In the premiership meanwhile, at least one player was keen to get some practice games in after making a startling revelation that he's only ever played three games of Carcassonne; all three resulting in victories over yours truly! Who was this?

This claim was contradicted by some pretty convincing evidence such as screenshots and photographs of the person in question actually playing Carcassonne against other people who weren't me, and even in some rare cases where he was playing against me but I won! This could all be #fakenews of course, but I'm inclined to believe that jungleboy was merely having a senior moment! (link)

(winning response time was: 5m28s)
« Last Edit: December 28, 2018, 08:01:28 AM by danisthirty »

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: December 28, 2018, 07:59:09 AM »
Q18:
With 18 questions asked (including the one that's currently in the process of being asked) and 6 left to go, we're three quarters of the way through this years advent quiz and Christmas will be with us very soon! :o I've been excitedly checking my postbox every morning for the last week or so to see if there's any sign of my Secret Santa present yet, but sadly I'm still waiting. :'( Who was the first person to receive their Secret Santa present this year? O:-)

The Secret Santa hasn't worked out as well this year as it did last year, but seeing all the wonderful gifts that were made and given in 2017 meant it would be a shame not to at least try to repeat last year's success again this year. Still, we're not all on the naughty list, especially not... Willem (link)

(winning response time was: 4m7s)

Blimey, that's half the quiz answered in one day! More than I intended to get through today, but we're on track for an early finish next Monday now with just 6 questions left to go and the quiz at a very exciting stage. Piet Agoras may have lost his grip of first place to dronedrone, but is still within striking distance if he can utilise his blistering speed for just 2 or 3 more questions. Meanwhile, Decar and Meepledrone are still within spitting distance of the title too. Anything can, and probably will, happen over the course of the final 6 questions of the quiz so stay tuned for the final installment due new year's eve... :(y)

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: December 31, 2018, 02:16:57 AM »
Q19:
I haven't mentioned it so far, but it would be remiss of me not to mention one of this year's major highlights for Carcassonne fans around the world... the International Fan Meeting held in Saxony in July! For those of us who couldn't make it, Decar wrote an excellent photo-filled account of the week which covered all games played as well as all the extra activities/ excursions. Among MANY other games, Decar mentions that he enjoyed a game of Go against someone who "absolutely mashed" him. Who was this?

Scroll scroll scroll and scroll some more. Nearly there. A bit further. Is that it? No, not quite, a bit more. Next one. There it is! This was probably one of the longest posts of the year from anyone, but that's to be expected considering what he was writing about and all the many wonderful activities and events Decar had to describe in his account of the 1st international fan meeting. It may have been a bit tricky to find, but I did quote him where he said that he'd been "absolutely mashed" so hopefully this would have been enough to help anyone who didn't already know that the answer to this question was: PresetM (link)...

(winning response time was: 1m15s)

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: December 31, 2018, 02:36:21 AM »
Q20:
The year isn't over yet, but 2018 has been one of our lowest in terms of new membership. :( This said, our average hasn't dipped below 2 new members per day yet and we've certainly got quality over quantity anyway! :(y) One of our "new for 2018" members introduced himself in August. He discovered Carcassonne for the first time eight months previously and hadn't obsessed this much about a game for 30 years! Who was this?

No advent quiz would be complete without a quick visit to the Meet the Members forum as it's always nice to be reminded that the community is growing even if we don't often hear very much from some of the newer members. It was a fairly straightforward question, and even though dirk2112 didn't post the answer for everyone to see this time ::) (-6000pts btw dirk) everybody still managed to get that the answer was: Dungeonmasterjoe (link)...

(winning response time was: 4m21s)

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: December 31, 2018, 02:49:52 AM »
Q21:
One of the nice things about being a global community is, by definition, that we have members all around the world. And there's no better way to be reminded of this than when people post about their meetups with fellow members of CarcC. With this in mind, who sought out the Chilean national champion (and world number #16) in September during a year-long tour of South America with his girlfriend, for a game or two of Carcassonne?

I tried to complicate this slightly by not mentioning Xanderx12 by name, but despite this it would have been obvious (if you looked in either of the places that gave this away) that the correct answer to this question was JoeSesquipedalian (link)...

^ 3 x 1st/2nds for Decar and Rich_the_Fish in a row! 8)

(winning response time was: 2m54s)
« Last Edit: December 31, 2018, 02:51:28 AM by danisthirty »

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: December 31, 2018, 03:08:27 AM »
Q22:
Back in February, The Steve suggested that it might be a good idea for some of us to assist farin (author of JCloisterZone) by forming a squad of elite testers to playtest the interactions between the numerous expansions and to ensure that they behave as intended: "The Defenders of the Cloisterzone". Who came up with this name?

While it's true that The Defenders of the Cloisterzone haven't seen a lot of action so far, I do feel that any potential bugs that may otherwise have crept into JCloisterZone since our formation have been kept at bay mostly through fear of how quickly they'd be identified and brought to farin's attention through this elite force, and that's mostly because of our cool name. Thanks Sinscerly! (link)...

(winning response time was: 2m52s)

A copy/paste error cost Decar dearly here, as the correct answer was not "Paddy Ashdown" (leader of the Liberal Democrats 1988 - 1999) and he dropped a couple of places while he corrected his mistake! He remains ahead of dronedrone for the time being, but only by 1 point, and with just 2 questions left to go!
« Last Edit: December 31, 2018, 03:12:05 AM by danisthirty »

Offline Decar

• Owner
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net
« Reply #68 on: December 31, 2018, 03:12:44 AM »
I was obviously in a state of deep shock  :( :( :(

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: December 31, 2018, 03:27:39 AM »
Q23:
It's been a little while now since our Complete Annotated Rules document was last updated, and as such it's beginning to show it's age in terms of the growing list of expansions it doesn't mention. However, a small but dedicated team of Carcassonne rules gurus led by the almost competent Maj. Frost ;) was established in September and their progress on the brand new WikiCarpedia has been incredible (so be sure to check it out if you haven't already)! They're always glad of any assistance from anyone who wishes to help, but which WikiCarpedia volunteer admitted that the existing CAR had been their bedtime reading over the summer?

I think it would take me many, many nights to get through the existing version of the printed CAR as a book for bedtime. I'm sure parts of it could really help me to sleep, but some of the less consistent rules clarifications would cause outrage and subsequent rampages that would make it hard to sleep at all! And imagine the nightmares. Dreaming of being a tiny wooden person being pursued by a wooden dragon?! No thanks! Good luck to you Meepledrone (link), you're welcome to it!

(winning response time was: 12m44s)

Offline dirk2112

• Baron
  • Merit: 43
  • Filled with caffeine and hyperbole
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: December 31, 2018, 03:44:20 AM »
(-6000pts btw dirk)

So I am at -5,975.  Somehow my odds of beating Decar did not go down any.   :P

Offline Decar

• Owner
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net
« Reply #71 on: December 31, 2018, 03:46:06 AM »
Don't be so sure, there's still one question to mess up!

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: December 31, 2018, 03:46:53 AM »
Q24:
I didn't do a "spare bits giveaway" this year as I haven't got much in the way of spare bits left after 3 years of giving them all away! I did however give away a selection of tiles for both artwork editions that had been signed by Carcassonne's designer: Klaus-Jürgen Wrede 8). All of the tiles were claimed, but one lucky CarcC member was able to claim a signed river tile through this giveaway even though I didn't have one to give away to begin with! Who was this?

There were a couple of posts on the thread which all added to this as the plan was forming, but it eventually came to pass that I would send one of my signed new-art tiles to Halfling and he would send an old-art river tile to... Chartreusito! (link)

(winning response time was: 8m44s)

This brings us to the end of the Advent Quiz results for another year. Congratulations to Decar and dronedrone for their epic battle to the finish line, and of course to everyone else who took part. 8) :(y)

All that remains for me now is to wish everyone a happy new year, and for lots of boardgame-filled fun and excitement (and perhaps even some luck too!) in 2019 to you all.

Look after yourselves and each other,
Dan :blue-meeple: :(y)

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: December 31, 2018, 03:47:57 AM »
(-6000pts btw dirk)

So I am at -5,975.  Somehow my odds of beating Decar did not go down any.   :P

You finished at -5,974 so not the worst result we've ever seen... ;)

Offline Rich_The_Fish

• Marquis
  • Merit: 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: December 31, 2018, 03:52:35 AM »
Thanks so much for taking the time to do this Dan, it was very enjoyable.

Of course, congrats to everyone who took part and especially well done to Decar and dronedrone for a good battle.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2018, 04:44:01 AM by Rich_The_Fish, Reason: Added congratulations »

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
clip
Carcassonne Central: Advent Quiz MMXXII coming soon...

Started by Meepledrone

7 Replies
Last post November 14, 2022, 01:44:55 AM
by Challa007
xx
Carcassonne Central: Advent Quiz MMXVI

Started by danisthirty

102 Replies
Last post April 04, 2017, 09:07:40 AM
by danisthirty
xx
Carcassonne Central: Advent Quiz