Author Topic: 2 player game  (Read 20700 times)

Offline SRBO

• Chatelain
  • Merit: 40
  • The Robber Dragon King
    • View Profile
2 player game
« on: April 02, 2015, 02:31:45 PM »
Hello,

Im looking for a fun 2 player game..
not too childish,
a kind of serious game, a bit difficult
and not too long..

does anyone know something like this?

Linkback: https://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/index.php?topic=1658.0

Offline Decar

• Owner
  • Chatelain Grand Officier
  • Merit: 317
  • Shut up and take my money!
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net
Re: 2 player game
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2015, 02:52:06 PM »
I've recently ordered Orleans  - I was well received at Essen - there are some 2 player run throughs on Youtube.  It's quite long to play.

I've also ordered The Duke, which can be pretty quick and very strategic.

Offline Andrew the Ambo

• Count
  • Merit: 26
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2015, 03:32:59 PM »
Carcassonne would be a good game to try.

Offline ooh_jim

• Duke
  • Merit: 18
  • No, *you* haven't updated your profile yet.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2015, 03:42:40 PM »
My recommendations: Forbidden Island/Desert are both fun and can be fairly challenging. Tsuro of the seas is pretty quick and pretty basic. Hnefatafl is about as old-school as it gets and if you're quite crafty, its a fun set to make yourself. I really like Hive, but it can be an overly short/lengthy game depending on how well matched the players are. For even shorter games, zombie dice, timeline & bananagrams go down well at family gatherings.

Honestly though, I think the best two-player game I've played is Magic the Gathering. As long as you're just playing friends for fun and not planning on entering any competitions or anything, you can pick cards up at a fairly cheap price - my flatmate and I got a deck builder's toolkit each and bought a few lot collections of older cards for cheap on ebay. If you've not already tried it, I'd advise starting with someone else new to the game as deck building, trading and playing is much more fun when you're evenly matched with your opponents.

Are there any particular themes or mechanics you're interested in or want to avoid?
« Last Edit: April 02, 2015, 03:45:26 PM by ooh_jim »

Offline Hounk

• Baron
  • Merit: 15
  • I haven't updated my profile yet!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2015, 04:32:04 PM »
I like "Rivals of Catan" pretty much. Although I didn't have the opportunity yet, to play it a lot, just a few of the introduction games (it is only the starter deck, which is always used) with an uncle of mine. Game time should be around 30 minutes for the introduction game and 75 minutes for one of the other games, although it took us quite longer than half an hour. But it probably goes faster with practice.

Game is quite cheap as well (nice looking and with solid components, though) and I consider, it should have a lot of replayability with 3 theme packs in the base game and two expansions with another three decks each. You can play each of the decks on there own, or a combination of three of the decks (then reduced by aprox. half of the cards), like I wrote, always including the starter deck. I must say, I enjoy "Settlers of Catan" as well, but this is not mandatory, since it is totally a different game.

Edit: If you go on http://www.playcatan.com/en/ and select in the menu on top Games -> Play Introductory Games you can play the short game with AI and tutorial mode for free. This should give you the idea, if this game is for you or not.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2015, 04:53:07 PM by Hounk »

Offline Whaleyland

• Great Khan
  • Global Moderator
  • Marquis Chevalier
  • Merit: 101
  • Toulouse: Carcassonne's insignificant neighbor.
    • View Profile
    • Derek R. Whaley, PhD | Librarian, Historian, and Writer
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2015, 05:17:32 PM »
I second Rivals for Catan, but for the fact that it is quite different from Catan [formerly known as "The Settlers of Catan"]. The game is much more tight, and there are many more options available. I'd also recommend buying at least the second expansion for it, which adds a Seafarers component, though both expansions are really fun and improve the game's replayability.

Other than that, Ticket to Ride: Nordic Countries or Switzerland are pretty fun but brutal. If you want a co-op, try Flash Point—it can be quite challenging with two players. Zooloretto plays pretty well with two players, though I recommend buying at least one of the big-box expansions for it just to increase the strategy element of the game (Boss is probably the best in this regard, though Exotic may be the more fun). Lastly, Caverna and Agricola both scale well to two players, but Agricola: All Creatures Big and Small is an excellent small-scale version of them that I highly recommend.

Offline franks

• Marquis
  • Merit: 26
  • I love Carcassonne
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2015, 05:56:34 PM »
Splendor might fit the bill.

Very easy to learn, quick to play and has game depth

It is another favourite of ours. We mostly played 2 player so it is my preferred player count. Playing with more changes the game style. Some prefer a higher player count but I think the game play is just different.
Franks

Wanna play Carc? Can we add just one more expansion?

Offline Hounk

• Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2015, 02:57:58 AM »
But that's, what I also wrote, whaleyland, that the Rivals are quite different from the (former) Settlers? Although I also like the Settlers for there amount of options, not the vanilla game, though, and for more then 2 players.

I don't own "Ticket to Ride", so whenever playing it, it was always at least in a group of 3, but I agree, that the Swiss map is great for a small amount of players, much more fun with three then the plain European board.

Offline DLloyd09

• Vassal
  • Merit: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2015, 08:36:58 PM »
Highly recommend Dominion, if you haven't played it already. It's frequently the game that gets pulled out while dinner's cooking, as after you're familiar with the basics it can be played in 30 minutes with two. Play is very simple but can get very strategic and if you start to pick up expansions for it the depth of the game increases exponentially.

Also recommend the suggestions of The Duke and Ticket to Ride.

Offline Decar

• Owner
  • Chatelain Grand Officier
  • Merit: 317
  • Shut up and take my money!
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2015, 12:24:31 AM »
I've quite enjoyed what I've played on Dominion - you can play it online against some AI for free:
https://www.playdominion.com/ well worth a lok if you're interested   :(y)

Offline bloggins

• Vagabond
  • Merit: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2015, 03:14:33 AM »
At the risk of this turning into a Dominion fan forum, I'd recommend that too  ^-^. It's easy to pick up but has lots of variety and depth, even in the base game. As Decar says, playdominion.com gives you the chance to have a go for free and has a tutorial mode, so is well worth a look - it can be interesting to see some of the different tactics adopted by the bots depending on the combination of cards being used.

Offline Curt194

• Nobleman
  • Merit: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2015, 01:37:28 AM »
I would also highly recommend dominion. I have only owned it for a short while but the variety you can get between games is wonderful and it's just really fun to play. It's one that just feels really fun to play and can feel very satisfying when you manage to do loads in one turn.

Another great two player game is province. A tiny travel game but with loads of pieces/depth. I feel like it's a sort of miniature version of Agricola. It's tao player only but I picked it up for £9 and it's great fun. Can feel complicated at first, but really interesting little game if you find a copy!

The "forbidden" games as already mentioned above also recommend for some co-op gaming!

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
  • Merit: 293
  • "First to 4 points wins?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2015, 12:24:50 PM »
You didn't say whether you were looking for a co-op game or not?

If co-op:

+1 for Forbidden Island/ Desert
+1 for Flashpoint

Also, "Escape: Curse of the Temple" is a great co-op that I've been playing lately. It's a dice-rolling game but you don't take turns, you're just rolling and rolling and rolling until you get what you need. And although it's a co-op, everyone is playing independently at the same time. Also, there is an accompanying soundtrack which means games are always limited to exactly 10 minutes. It's very tense and chaotic!

If not co-op:

+1 for Carcassonne (obviously)
+1 for Dominion

Or perhaps something like Fluxx or Monopoly Deal if you like card games? My preference would be Fluxx although MD was something that my wife and I played a lot before we discovered Carcassonne.

Good luck!  :(y)

Offline SRBO

• Chatelain
  • Merit: 40
  • The Robber Dragon King
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2015, 03:14:47 PM »
Well i got some fun games, but when i play with my girl, she looses her focus pretty fast, with games like carcassonne,

Now we play 7 wonders which she really likes, but you need 3 players for it,
There is a two player version but its less fun, the same goes for saboteur, love letter and party games.

I definitly recommend 7 wonders to everyone, its a balanced game with very good explanation and for 4 years i has a lot of collectible promos and expansions

Thanks for the replies everyone,
However railroads is not in my theme, i like games with historical themes like middle ages, and before that.

Im going to look into the suggestions you guys gave to see if something intressting shows up!

Thanks again!

Offline Hounk

• Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2015, 03:31:22 PM »
I like "7 Wonders" very much as well. Have had some nice 3 player games with it already.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
xx
2 player 110 tiles game (Without the base game tiles)

Started by SRBO

3 Replies
Last post August 17, 2015, 02:01:56 AM
by SRBO
xx
Superbowl Sunday: 2-player game (base game + I&C)

Started by Scott

4 Replies
Last post January 31, 2015, 10:36:40 AM
by Scott
xx
Today's 5 player game Nov 9 2014

Started by Paul

9 Replies
Last post November 10, 2014, 11:16:49 AM
by Paul
xx
Tips for a 4-player Basic Game