Author Topic: JCoisterZone Suggestion - Host Mode  (Read 10329 times)

Offline rfielder

• Marquis
  • Merit: 10
  • Carcassonne Beginner
    • View Profile
    • Cool Country Nights
JCoisterZone Suggestion - Host Mode
« on: July 08, 2014, 09:55:11 AM »
To: farin, JCoisterZone author

Given that a lot of the gameplay with JCloisterZone is across the internet - and often across many, many internlational borders! - I would like to suggest a Host Mode for the game.

This would be a mode for the normal game, not a separate edition of the game, if my vision of how it works is possible.

The only difference between normal play and Host Mode, is that JCZ will automatically start a new game after a game ends.  The delay before the new game starts would be user selectable, but I would suggest it should be short.

This would be used in situations where the players are all connecting to a host PC.  The host PC is ONLY hosting the game.  No players are using the host PC.  Someone may be watching the game on the host PC, and using it for screen captures, but they are not interacting with the host PC during the game.

A lot of games in the recent competition have been played like this.  A few of us can host games, but many can not, so we have helped out by letting others connect to our PCs.  In these situations, we are acting as hosts, or game servers, not as players.

Once a game ends, there is no point in the host PC staying on the game, showing the results and the ending board.  Those also appear on the player's PCs.  The host PC can start the new game, ready for others to link in and make their selections.

I have JCZ running on my home server.  When my partner and I play, we both link to the server, not to each other.  This works well for us, but it would be even better if I did not have to go to the server and restart the game after she finishes kicking me to the curb YET AGAIN!   :)  Yeah, I ended up at the bottom of the recent competition for valid reasons....  :(

How I see Host Mode working:
Two new controls added to the JCZ opening screen:
Host Mode checkbox
Host Mode restart time - set the time, in seconds, before JCZ starts a new game

When JCZ is started on the hosting PC, the opening screen has a checkmark for Host Mode.  Once this has been checked, all other controls (except the timeout) are locked out.  It would be assumed that all interactions will come from the players linking to the hosting PC.

After the game, the host mode PC displays a count down time.  The timer would appear in a movable window, the same as the end game results window.  The timer window would have a Pause button.  This in case the person who is watching the game on the host PC wants to stop the timeout while they do screen captures.  Making the count down time use a movable window means it could be moved off the playing surface, thus not blocking the board.

After the count down timer reaches zero, a new game starts.  By default, if Host Mode is checked, it remains checked until the person at the keyboard of the host PC unchecks it.  This means there needs to be persistence of the Host Mode check box and the count down timer interval.  I am not sure how a Java application can achieve such persistence, but since JCZ does write an error file and game configuration files and can save games, I am sure it can write and read a setup file.

farin - do you think this can be done?  What is your evaluation of this suggestion?

Thanks!

Linkback: https://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/index.php?topic=864.0
Robert Fielder
Brampton, Ontario, Canada  EST

Offline Paul

• Marquis Chevalier
  • Merit: 86
    • View Profile
    • sydby.com
Re: JCoisterZone Suggestion - Host Mode
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2014, 10:57:00 AM »
There is also the possibility to have a Java program run from a server online if we can get a little file or code added to the original source.
  Don't have all the info as I only read about it briefly. I'd be happy to have it on my server and everyone could then play thru it there.
World record holder for a single game of Carcassonne using 10 007 tiles!

Offline farin

• Duke
  • Merit: 44
  • JCloisterZone maintainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2014, 04:18:03 AM »
Support regular server is one nice to have feature. Current implementation allows running server alone, but it can hosts only single game.
Proper imoplementation should support game list and a lobby. Only problem is significant amount of time. Maybe I should start kickstarter project :)

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
  • Merit: 293
  • "First to 4 points wins?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2014, 02:58:38 PM »
I would sponsor it if it did! :)
« Last Edit: July 21, 2014, 05:38:20 AM by danisthirty »

Offline rfielder

• Marquis
  • Merit: 10
  • Carcassonne Beginner
    • View Profile
    • Cool Country Nights
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2014, 07:12:55 PM »
Support regular server is one nice to have feature. Current implementation allows running server alone, but it can hosts only single game.
Proper imoplementation should support game list and a lobby. Only problem is significant amount of time. Maybe I should start kickstarter project :)
Yes, a full server version would be nice.   But, that is a "nice to have, someday" sort of thing.

My suggestion should be (I am a programmer, but not in Java) easy.  Just wrap the entire app in a loop controlled by the one flag.  If the flag is set, ending a game starts another game, with delays per the first message.

Having it support only one game at a time is not a limitation yet - the game is gaining popularity, but JCZ is not so huge that the game list and lobby are really needed.  What is needed for the present is the ability to have a server reset after the game, so that it can be used more than once.

Offline farin

• Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2014, 12:57:33 AM »
It's really time to focus on play server. It will be priority. Minimal viable product - connect, display list of games, crate or join and play.
But based on robust architecture. I want to have MVP done at least in 2 months.

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2014, 08:53:35 AM »
@rfielder - thanks for the update. What expansions were you using that meant your game took five and a half hours?!
Less the expansions than everyone taking a LOT of time to review rules, and make decisions.

Sitting around waiting for someone to lay a tile, turn after turn, can really suck the enjoyment out of a game. Especially if it’s always the same person or if it’s a big game with 4 or more players and you seem to spend forever waiting for your turn. Ditto with the constant referring back to the rules although this is perfectly acceptable in my opinion, if (and only if) it’s someone who is new to either the game in general or any of the expansions being used.

I like the idea of using a timer, and when your time runs out (perhaps 1 or 2 minutes?) you lose your turn if you haven’t placed your tile. I wouldn’t ever do this when I’m playing a game in person but it works well online. The Carcassonne app on Facebook allows you to specify a time limit per turn which can be 90 secs, 60 secs, 30 secs or even 10 secs! 10 secs is too rushed, but the default is 30 secs which feels about right under most circumstances as you know a game is going to be over in 20 – 30 mins most of the time.

A timer might be quite an interesting idea for JCloisterZone, either as a time-limit per turn that you specify at the start of the game or as an in-built timer which logs “thinking time” so that the player who has used the least thinking time can be determined the winner in the event of a draw. Maybe.

Offline farin

• Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2014, 05:26:52 AM »
I would like to start game time limit, because there is not complication what to do when limit time is depleted.
(JCloisterZone can just do nothing just display time. It depends on players, but common rule is that player lost his game

And I am also used to player's  20min (using chess clock)  from Czech Carcassonne Championship

Offline Jéré

• Chatelain
  • Merit: 62
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2014, 06:53:33 AM »
Hi Farin,

You might want to have a look at this application.
http://dominategame.com

It's quite old (used to play more than 10 years ago) but it is very functional and - in my opinion - has everything JCloisterZone should have to create an enjoyable online experience:
- dedicated server
- global and game chats
- list of online players
- list of created games
- possibily to join a game as an observer (even if game already started)
- player ratings
- etc (many other things I forget)

I think this could give you some ideas. Keep up your amazing work!

Offline Paul

• Marquis Chevalier
    • View Profile
    • sydby.com
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2014, 06:03:10 AM »
Alas, my attempts to open up the game for me to host has failed.

I'm not a savvy tech, but following online guides has never been an issue before. As far as I can remember.

I can confirm the port has been opened.
  Using this guide below I've set a static IP by opening up the /cmd prompt using ipconfig /all data shown with the IPv4 properties etc. (For those who know what I'm talking about.)

http://portforward.com/networking/staticip.htm (I have Windows 7)

Sorry I can't get this to work (yet).  O:-)

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2014, 06:12:28 AM »
I can host a game for you now if you're both still available?

Offline Paul

• Marquis Chevalier
    • View Profile
    • sydby.com
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2014, 06:14:32 AM »
I can host a game for you now if you're both still available?

Unfortunately I'm off in 45 mins or so. Won't be back until late evening. I'm on irc chat if you can join me there for a quick test if you can join my host. It's already up'n'running.

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2014, 06:18:59 AM »
Sorry, I'm off out in 5 mins too. There was just the opportunity to set it up before I went, but I'm sure there will be others.

Offline MrNumbers

• Duke Chevalier
  • Merit: 91
    • View Profile
    • Carcassonne Latvia
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2014, 07:40:31 AM »
Yellow, please, inform me when you will be in irc chat again, I will try to help you in diagnosing your connection problems.
"I never lose. Either I win or I learn." (Nelson Mandela)

Offline Paul

• Marquis Chevalier
    • View Profile
    • sydby.com
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2014, 02:05:56 PM »
Yellow, please, inform me when you will be in irc chat again, I will try to help you in diagnosing your connection problems.

Much appreciated, thank you!

It's 11pm here and I got home few mins ago. Sadly off again and probably won't be online for (at least to) chat until Monday afternoon earliest.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
xx
can anyone host now??

Started by Rosco

4 Replies
Last post August 31, 2014, 02:25:44 PM
by Andrew the Ambo
xx
Suggestion:COVID-19 for Spiel 20 Tile

Started by MeepleFan

21 Replies
Last post April 09, 2020, 02:03:51 AM