Author Topic: Carcassonne background pictures for phones/tablets/computers  (Read 6607 times)

Offline jungleboy

• Viscount Chevalier
  • Merit: 89
  • Nine points!
    • View Profile
    • Spirit of the Camino
Carcassonne background pictures for phones/tablets/computers
« on: November 02, 2014, 08:40:14 AM »
Hi everyone,

I often search for Carcassonne pictures to use as my background on my phone/tablet/laptop and I don’t find as many photos as I’d like. So I decided to make my own this morning with some nice sunlight coming through the window.

Here are the first 12 that I’ve ‘published’ on Flickr under the new account carcassonne_game. So far I have only done aerial shots from directly above. This showcases the tiles well but isn't as good for followers (except farmers). Also, I experimented with the light a bit - some have shadows on them and others don’t. I wanted to have the tiles in sunlight because it makes them more colourful and dynamic, but this means that the followers have (rather long) shadows.

This is what I’ve done so far:

- I made two different configurations for different screen sizes - 4x3 tiles and 3x2 tiles.

- I took some photos with followers and some without followers.

- For the 3x2 tile configuration, I made a ‘horizontal’ version and a ‘vertical’ version (which in this case just meant turning the cloister around).

- For all versions, I made one with a border (which is just the surrounding table) and one without.

I used only tiles from the base game, but I would love to make backgrounds for a lot of the expansions as well.

Are you guys interested in more of these? If so, I would appreciate feedback on the following (or any other feedback):
- Do you like them with followers or without?
- Do you like them with borders or without?
- Are the followers' shadows a problem?

Cheers,
jungleboy

Linkback: https://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/index.php?topic=1216.0

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
  • Merit: 293
  • "First to 4 points wins?"
    • View Profile
Re: Carcassonne background pictures for phones/tablets/computers
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2014, 03:00:46 PM »
I like these a lot! I often post Carcassonne pictures on the Twitter feed but there isn't really a lot out there. Not of this quality anyway. I will certainly be posting some of these tomorrow morning if that's OK with you?

I think what you include in the pictures depends on the style you're going for. If it's simply the landscape then you should probably ignore the meeples. If it's some element of a game that you want to depict then they're pretty much essential to it! Personally I prefer the ones with the meeples in (with shadows) but it would be interesting to see what kind of effect bridges, castles, towers, phantoms etc might have.

Finally, I like the way the photos were lit as well, and if the quality of all subsequent photos could match the quality of these then I'm very much looking forward to seeing what else you have in store!  :(y)

Offline Darwin

• Duke
  • Merit: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2014, 04:25:01 PM »
Looks nice - good pictures :(y)
I like it with the meeples. But in my opinion it’s too much shadow from the meeples, although the natural lighting makes the tiles look really beautiful. ^-^

I have a really big screen, so I need a lot more tiles as a desktop background. :o

Offline Paul

• Marquis Chevalier
  • Merit: 86
    • View Profile
    • sydby.com
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2014, 05:54:45 PM »
I like the shadows by meeples. Gives the image depth.  :(y)
World record holder for a single game of Carcassonne using 10 007 tiles!

Offline AlbinoAsian

• Count
  • Merit: 19
  • Living like a meeple
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2014, 06:18:39 PM »
This is awesome. Agree that the lighting and shadows are a beautiful touch. Here is a thankyou from me

Offline jungleboy

• Viscount Chevalier
  • Nine points!
    • View Profile
    • Spirit of the Camino
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2014, 11:08:39 PM »
Thanks for the feedback and nice comments guys.

@danisthirty - Yes, of course you can use them on the twitter feed. Thanks for the promotion :)

@Darwin - Is even the original size too small for you? In case you haven't found the original size, go to a photo page (like this one) and click the download arrow and then 'original size'.

Regarding the shadows, perhaps the solution is to take photos closer to the middle of the day when the the shadows will still be there to add some depth and effect but won't be as long. The problem is that as we approach winter, the only direct sunlight we get into our apartment is fairly early in the morning. So I might have to wait a few months, or take this project outside (which seems dangerous!).

Offline Darwin

• Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2014, 03:59:17 AM »
@Darwin - Is even the original size too small for you? In case you haven't found the original size, go to a photo page (like this one) and click the download arrow and then 'original size'.

It’s not the file, size but the number of tiles. I would like a lot more  ;D

Offline Paul

• Marquis Chevalier
  • Merit: 86
    • View Profile
    • sydby.com
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2014, 04:56:25 AM »
You can also use my 10k script to generate a random background:

http://www.sydby.com/carcassonne/10k/

Use printscreen for now to save it as one image. My new version will make this a permanent image for easy saving.

And... if you are a bit handy with html coding and Windows environment, you can set this script to randomly make a desktop background every time you boot up Windows!  :(y)

:meeple:

Offline Darwin

• Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2014, 09:01:17 AM »
You can also use my 10k script to generate a random background:

http://www.sydby.com/carcassonne/10k/
Cool :(y)

And... if you are a bit handy with html coding and Windows environment, you can set this script to randomly make a desktop background every time you boot up Windows!  :(y)
I am using Mac, but now I have a new desktop background thanks to you  ;D

Offline jungleboy

• Viscount Chevalier
  • Nine points!
    • View Profile
    • Spirit of the Camino
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2014, 06:55:58 AM »
Today I set myself up to take some more background/wallpaper photos - this time using tiles from Inns and Cathedrals - only for the sun to briefly appear and then disappear almost immediately. So I only got one shot:

If you want a high resolution shot, click on the image to go to flickr where you can download various sizes.

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
  • Merit: 293
  • "First to 4 points wins?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2014, 10:43:05 PM »
Very nice. Thanks jungleboy  :(y)

I especially like that you placed a farmer inside the cccc tile! I also really like the shadows, especially the shadow of the green follower.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
xx
The River III background

Started by Christianmocking

4 Replies
Last post June 13, 2017, 02:53:20 PM
by Just a Bill
xx
Background Images

Started by quevy

0 Replies
Last post December 25, 2014, 02:17:59 AM