Author Topic: Light Rail  (Read 2395 times)

Offline Decar

• Owner
  • Chatelain Grand Officier
  • Merit: 317
  • Shut up and take my money!
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net
Light Rail
« on: June 26, 2016, 08:28:33 AM »
We played this game a few days ago and I thought I'd share the experience:

The game is a blend or Carcassonne, Tsuro and probably Metro.  Player take it in turn to lay cards; to complete a high-tech rail line.  Each player has their own deck & colour and is trying to complete a majority stake in a track.  A track scores based on the number of different types of building on each line.  Players also have hidden objective cards, giving them additional ways to score.

It's very quick to play an interesting mechanic is that depending on the number of players, the shape of the play area changes.  In 2-players it looks like a diamond; the widest segment must be width 4, but it is not clear at the start of the game which column MUST be the widest, this can change about 1/3 of the way though the game.

Here's a quick photo:

Though, I understood the board-shape mechanic, I actually found it quite tricky - My wife nailed it; and took the gaming crown once again.  We both managed to complete our objectives, but my wife had completed more rail lines.

It's a very fast playing game, There's some really interesting opportunities to wreak havoc with each other's strategy.  The cards are beautifully designed and also include colour-blind safe 'hatching' in the centre of the line.

There's also an expansion that allows 2-players to play on a large board, the additional cards have more buildings & a cards that count as two segments of track when scoring majority.

There are a few suggested advanced-variants including map-wrapping and larger maps.

Bit thumbs up from our household!

Linkback: https://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/index.php?topic=2806.0

Offline jungleboy

• Viscount Chevalier
  • Merit: 89
  • Nine points!
    • View Profile
    • Spirit of the Camino
Re: Light Rail
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2016, 09:49:06 AM »
I thought it was Carcassonne Star Wars from the photo :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Lord_Wishmaster

• Count
  • Merit: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2016, 04:11:28 AM »
Looks interesting, but apart from a page on Board Game Geek I can't find anything for it. No sellers in UK come up in google.

Offline Decar

• Owner
  • Chatelain Grand Officier
  • Merit: 317
  • Shut up and take my money!
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2016, 12:11:03 AM »
It's a print on demand game available from DriveThruCards

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
xx
WTB: New coloured Phantoms, Light Green Monasteries

Started by Caciej

9 Replies
Last post April 23, 2017, 01:40:16 AM
by Halfling