Author Topic: Watchtowers questions  (Read 16825 times)

Offline Ratz65

• Marquis
  • Merit: 11
    • View Profile
Watchtowers questions
« on: October 19, 2016, 12:00:43 AM »
I'm glad you like it However, some things need to be clarified:
Does the tower divide the streets?
Does the tower divide the fields?

After looking more closely at the new extension, I think that the tower will divide the fields and also the roads. What do you all mean?

Linkback: https://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/index.php?topic=2941.0

Offline Decar

• Owner
  • Chatelain Grand Officier
  • Merit: 317
  • Shut up and take my money!
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net
Re: Watchtowers questions
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2016, 12:03:04 AM »
Hi Ratz65!

Dan and I played and it seemed logical to split the farms and the roads (with junctions).

We also played that the tower scored when either connecting feature was completed. Otherwise the frfr tile makes no sense. This means towers can score more than once. Usually twice.

Offline stalcupojoy

• Count
  • Merit: 21
  • คาคาร์ซอนน์ fan in Thailand
    • View Profile
    • Michael Stalcup (Poet)
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2016, 08:07:42 PM »
Just noticed an apparent typo in the English rules. "Shuffle the six new land tiles..." should be twelve tiles, no?
Fan Expansions: Fiefs | Labyrinths | Schoolhouses | Vistas
Poetry Website: michaelstalcup.com

Offline JT Atomico

• Marquis
  • Merit: 61
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2016, 11:06:23 PM »
We also played that the tower scored when either connecting feature was completed. Otherwise the frfr tile makes no sense. This means towers can score more than once. Usually twice.

Interesting, that's not the way I read the rule. It seems to me that the watchtower should only trigger when you complete the feature that the meeple is actually standing on, according to the rule:

When a completed road or city contains a meeple on a watchtower

My understanding of "on a watchtower" is that they are on the same tile as a watchtower, either in a city or on a road, and only when the feature that they are contained in is complete do they score the watchtower bonus (before being scored and removed for the city or road feature).

i.e. In the image below, I think that the blue meeple only scores the watchtower bonus when the city on the right (that he is standing in) is completed and not when the road or the city at the top is completed:

Otherwise the frfr tile makes no sense.

I don't understand why there would be a problem for the frfr tile?
« Last Edit: July 20, 2018, 05:33:40 AM by MrNumbers, Reason: Link fixed »

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
  • Merit: 293
  • "First to 4 points wins?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2016, 12:53:12 AM »
It's difficult to make sense of rules which state "You may not place the meeple on the watchtower itself" in section 2 and then "When a completed road or city contains a meeple on a watchtower..." immediately after.

Decar's interpretation of the rules seem to make more sense to me having played a game using this expansion.

Offline Decar

• Owner
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2016, 01:25:47 AM »
I was originally referring to what it means when a feature with a watchtower is completed.

Your image contains 2 cities and a road all connecting to the watchtower.
I think this watchtower can score 3 times, when each of these features is completed: the two cities and the road; assuming there is a meeple in said feature.

If not, you'll need to keep track of when watchtowers have or haven't been invoked.

I wouldn't worry too much there won't be any official rules published anyway.

Offline JT Atomico

• Marquis
  • Merit: 61
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2016, 03:15:50 AM »
It's difficult to make sense of rules which state "You may not place the meeple on the watchtower itself" in section 2 and then "When a completed road or city contains a meeple on a watchtower..." immediately after.

Decar's interpretation of the rules seem to make more sense to me having played a game using this expansion.

I expect that the intention of the rule is that "a meeple on a watchtower" means "a meeple on a watchtower tile", so the blue meeple counts in my version. Then when that meeple's feature completes, that meeple (and only that meeple, no other meeples in the feature) can score the bonus points for the watchtower.

I think that makes everything straightforward, with no need to track which watchtowers have scored and no possibility of scoring a watchtower twice (unless, of course, there are multiple meeples on a watchtower tile by means of some other expansion mechanic).

The rules could have benefitted a lot from an extra example or two!

Maybe some of our German speakers can help shed some light on things, in case there are translation issues?
« Last Edit: October 25, 2016, 06:18:58 AM by JT Atomico »

Offline kettlefish

• Global Moderator
  • Chatelain Officier
  • Merit: 127
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2016, 09:41:44 AM »
I don't know. The example shows a meeple on the placed watchtower tile.
But the rules don't say in the section scoring if it is needed that a meeple has to be placed on the watchtower tile if a road/city which are finished and the watchtower tile is part of that feature...
????

I think the the score for the watchtower take only place if a meeple is on that tile - but it is also possible that it is only important that the watchtower tile is a part of a finished city/road and the meeple doesn't stand on the watchtower tile itself.... - If this is the right way to play then the score for the watchtower is more than once.
???

Perhaps you can choose what you like to play.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2016, 09:59:10 AM by kettlefish »

Offline Decar

• Owner
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2016, 12:40:02 PM »
Thanks both :)

Offline dirk2112

• Baron
  • Merit: 43
  • Filled with caffeine and hyperbole
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2016, 04:47:24 AM »
Wow these are some open ended rules.  I would think the bonus is only for the meeple on the tile.  Imagine placing the tile in Dan's post and having it complete 2 of your cities at once.  If the bonus only affected the meeple on the tile, it may force the player to start a new city instead of completing one of their already controlled cities.

Offline MrNumbers

• Duke Chevalier
  • Merit: 91
    • View Profile
    • Carcassonne Latvia
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2016, 05:18:23 AM »
...and don't forget the Wagon... ;)
"I never lose. Either I win or I learn." (Nelson Mandela)

Offline Cobyhectic

• Labourer
  • Merit: 1
  • I haven't updated my profile yet!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2016, 01:50:14 PM »
Maybe a ridiculous question: where can I see the English rules for this expansion guys? Can't seem to locate any translation

Offline MrNumbers

• Duke Chevalier
  • Merit: 91
    • View Profile
    • Carcassonne Latvia
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2016, 01:58:41 PM »
Maybe a ridiculous question: where can I see the English rules for this expansion guys? Can't seem to locate any translation
Decar posted them here.

Offline Cobyhectic

• Labourer
  • Merit: 1
  • I haven't updated my profile yet!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2016, 02:21:19 PM »
Decar posted them here.

Ah, thanks.

I think the intent of the rules are clear enough (though are indeed open to some interpretation of people want to argue)

1. When placing a watch tower tile, to gain the scoring of the watch tower you must place a meeple on a road or city.
2. When a city or road connected to the watchtower is completed, if a meeple is on that feature and on the watchtower tile, then watchtower scoring happens, followed by scoring of that feature.

Therefore, each watchtower only scores once, and always by the person who placed the tile.

I think they can easily be cut off by opponents (e.g. next opponent finishes the road I started that is on the watchtower tile, and halts any plans), so aren't open to much abuse unless opponents completely ignore what you're doing.

Offline Halfling

• Chatelain
  • Merit: 49
  • Welcome tournament 2015 winner.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2016, 12:32:18 AM »
I agree with the implied intent to score each watchtower once for the player who picked the tile and placed a meeple on it.

The first game I played was skewed in my favour as I drew 8 of the 12 tiles.  Nice until I ran out of meeples. :o

An idea to equalise the distribution is to allocate one or two tiles each by blind draw a la Halflings and then either ditch the rest or place the rest in the bag.
The Geek shall inherit the earth if we get a good die role

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
xx
The Barbarian Report: All Along the Watchtowers (The Watchtowers)

Started by Whaleyland

1 Replies
Last post July 25, 2022, 12:05:06 PM
by Meepledrone
xx
UtBT, Watchtowers v1 Art

Started by CorporalRutland

7 Replies
Last post July 27, 2019, 04:30:06 AM
by DrMeeple
xx
Watchtowers in the Classic Artwork

Started by Ry4Christ

2 Replies
Last post November 12, 2016, 10:13:54 PM
by Ry4Christ
xx
Watchtowers Expansion and Old Carcassonne Together?

Started by ARabidMeerkat

7 Replies
Last post August 10, 2019, 03:51:24 AM
by Meepledrone
xx
Controversial Interactions #01 - Watchtowers and meeples in castles

Started by Meepledrone

4 Replies
Last post May 04, 2020, 11:05:30 PM
by DrMeeple