The Tower
Abbey & Mayor
Count, King & Robber
The Catapult
Bridges, Castles and Bazaars
Hills & Sheep
Under the Big Top
The Wheel of Fortune

Author Topic: Favorite Major Expansion  (Read 4443 times)

Offline Carcassonne0123

• Vassal
  • Merit: 0
  • :)
    • View Profile
Favorite Major Expansion
« on: September 17, 2020, 10:33:40 AM »
Just wanted to know what expansion you guys like the most.   :)

Linkback: https://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/index.php?topic=4799.0

Offline DrMeeple

• Baron
  • Merit: 33
  • I mix expansions at my own risk.
    • View Profile
Re: Favorite Major Expansion
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2020, 12:51:36 PM »
WoF I think it’s more like a carcassonne full game version.
I mix expansions at my own risk.

Offline Drodo

• Duke
  • Merit: 1
  • I haven't updated my profile yet!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2020, 01:23:13 PM »
Traders & Builders is a must have. Plus the big meeple from Inns.

Offline Willem

• Chatelain
  • Merit: 118
  • Keeper of the Carcassonne Museum
    • View Profile
    • The Carcassonne Museum
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2020, 01:54:35 PM »
I've gone with Abbey&Mayor this time.
I agree that Inns&Cathedrals are basically part of the base game for many, and Traders&Builders provide some very useful additions as well (in part by putting more focus on cities);
However I recently played a game with Abbey&Mayor expansion, and was a bit surprised on how much I liked it.
The Mayor is a bit of a downside to the expansion, as it's not always as useful as it's made out to be, but the barn is very much a tactical point. And, I always see how bad I am at that, as I can't remember ever winning a game with this expansion, as I just can't seem to predict barn placement, make use of existing barns nor play my own some times.
The wagon might be more used as just an extra meeple, it is at least still an extra meeple!
And the abbey can be very useful in its own right!

In my recent game I was relying on a crfr tile (starting tile), with which I could finish a long road (with an inn), place my barn in my main field, build on my city with cathedral and builder, and use the extra builder turn to finish said city with my Abbey. All came together at the end of the game, and it got me from really far behind to only just losing the game.

So I think it might be a bit of an underrated expansion (or at least in my previous experience), so I've gone for it now  :)
Join me on the journey through the history and oddities of Carcassonne, on My Instagram
1 0 days since i've bought more Carcassonne

Offline Halfling

• Chatelain
  • Merit: 49
  • Welcome tournament 2015 winner.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2020, 01:26:26 AM »
Wheel of Fortune for me. Scrap the base game, this is what it should have been. For a true expansion I would have voted Abbey & Mayor or for #10 the Circus.

Have to say I enjoy all except #7 and #8. The variety offered means that I can play this game no matter my mood.
The Geek shall inherit the earth if we get a good die role

Offline Meepledrone

• Owner
  • Chatelain Grand Officier
  • Merit: 456
  • It is full of... Meeples!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2020, 02:03:56 AM »
As a expansion, I&C may be the best forme due to its simplicity (it takes 2 minutes to explain) and, as KJW said in an interview, it contains stuff taken out from the original base game to keep it lean.

I don't have preferred expansions but preferred mechanics from major expansions:
- The large meeple (I&C)
- Inns and cathedrals (I&C)
- The builder (T&B)
- The abbeys (A&M)
- Bridges (BC&B)

...that I like to combine with some minis like the rivers, phantom, German castles,...  ;)
Questions about rules? Check WICA: wikicarpedia.com

Offline Bumsakalaka

• Count Chevalier
  • Merit: 31
  • Fan of Fan expansions
    • View Profile
    • www.scifi.sk
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2020, 02:34:36 AM »
According to Meepledrone my current favorite setup is:
Under the Big Top - full
Inns & Cathedrals & Large Meeple
Magic portals - P&D
Hills and Sheeps
Builder - T&B
Pantom
Fruits
Check JCloisterZone Add-ons with fan expansions and also some Slovak sci/fi projects in English https://www.scifi.sk/en/

Offline Whaleyland

• Great Khan
  • Global Moderator
  • Marquis Chevalier
  • Merit: 101
  • Toulouse: Carcassonne's insignificant neighbor.
    • View Profile
    • Derek R. Whaley, PhD | Librarian, Historian, and Writer
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2020, 03:53:11 AM »
I’m one of those strange people who doesn’t really like Traders & Builders at all and doesn’t use Inns & Cathedrals much. My favourite expansion is probably Hills & Sheep because all three elements are really fun. The Hills are nice because they make tile counting impossible (although I don’t think the tie breaker ability quite works). Shepherds are fun and use tiles creatively. Vineyards are also a welcome bonus for Monasteries.

Offline Windekind

• Nobleman
  • Merit: 12
  • keep smiling
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2020, 05:01:49 AM »
My top 5:
1) Bridges, Castles and Bazaars. (Without Bazaars. I do not like it. It breaks the game flow)
When I play with my partner, the bridges have the surprise effect when there is a farmer on the meadow. No, there is no place here because there is my farmer, the meadow is open along here and here ...
2) The Princess & The Dragon
3) Abbey & Mayor
4) Hills & Sheeps
5) The Tower

Inns & Cathedrals is actually the basic game for me. It is indispensable.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2020, 05:04:19 AM by Windekind »

Offline DIN0

• Viscount
  • Merit: 37
  • Carcassonne is only complete with 11th expansion:)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2020, 02:35:46 PM »
Hills and Sheep is the best, hands down! :white-meeple:
New and inovative tile configurations. New special figure along with brand new scoring option. Very well done push your luck mechanic. And finally after all those years cloisters get some boost in vineyards! Better late than never. The support from other expansions this recieved was also welcome.
The only thing I don't like (kind of hate in fact) is the hills depleting the tiles. But I just use blank tiles for that.
The other parts are just so good, they overshadow this lackluster portion.

This expansion should recieve more recognition!

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
  • Merit: 293
  • "First to 4 points wins?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2020, 03:13:10 PM »
I voted for The Tower because I felt sorry for it that nobody had voted for it. While I don't feel that it's entirely in keeping with the spirit of the game and can be a bit of an acquired taste, it certainly changes the way you play the game once you've gotten used to it.

Offline Meepledrone

• Owner
  • Chatelain Grand Officier
  • Merit: 456
  • It is full of... Meeples!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2020, 03:32:39 PM »
Dan, you are sentimental!  ;)
« Last Edit: September 23, 2020, 12:02:03 AM by Meepledrone »

Offline dirk2112

• Baron
  • Merit: 43
  • Filled with caffeine and hyperbole
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2020, 05:02:09 PM »
I voted for The Tower because I felt sorry for it that nobody had voted for it. While I don't feel that it's entirely in keeping with the spirit of the game and can be a bit of an acquired taste, it certainly changes the way you play the game once you've gotten used to it.

I'll never get used to it  :-[.  My wife and child put it and the Count, King, and Robber in the "no way we are ever playing that again" box. 

Offline Drodo

• Duke
  • Merit: 1
  • I haven't updated my profile yet!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2020, 10:20:06 PM »

I'll never get used to it  :-[.  My wife and child put it and the Count, King, and Robber in the "no way we are ever playing that again" box.

What's wrong with Count, King and Robber?

The Count adds a nice layer of strategy, the King and Robber is a minimal change and the River II is legit. Only the Cult tiles are kind of lame imo, more monasteries ????

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
  • Merit: 293
  • "First to 4 points wins?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2020, 01:15:24 AM »

What's wrong with Count, King and Robber?

The Count adds a nice layer of strategy, the King and Robber is a minimal change and the River II is legit. Only the Cult tiles are kind of lame imo, more monasteries ????

Totally with you dirk2112! Although thesteveallen was kind enough to teach me how to play with The Count and all of the tactical elements that it introduce/ changes, it doesn't quite sit right with me in terms of how easy it is to take features over for minimal effort (some effort, yes). For me, Carcassonne is about managing your meeples carefully, managing risk and cunningly and imaginatively creating opportunities for yourself. Certain expansions trample over this elegant simplicity in a way that I find difficult to enjoy without adjusting my expectations accordingly. Like someone turning up to a 100m sprint on a motorbike.

It's a similar situation for me with The Tower. But while I mentioned how you need to adjust your expectations depending on what expansions are included, I actually quite enjoy the required adjustments when The Tower is included, and don't feel so sorry for myself when my meeples get kidnapped if there were ways I could have defended them but which I didn't prioritise.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
xx
Poll: What's your favourite major expansion?

Started by jungleboy

31 Replies
Last post May 07, 2015, 10:05:43 PM
by CKorfmann
xx
WTB Major Carcassonne Expansions

Started by DavidY

1 Replies
Last post October 21, 2014, 01:47:46 AM
by Duncan90
xx
Favorite Tile-Laying Games

Started by kothmann

16 Replies
Last post October 10, 2023, 05:35:20 AM
by Decar
clip
What is your favorite tile in the basegame?

Started by Challa007

8 Replies
Last post February 15, 2023, 04:31:04 AM
by Decar
question
FAVORITE Expansions: Please VOTE! What are YOUR top 3???

Started by DOCTORawfulMD

34 Replies
Last post April 06, 2014, 01:00:19 PM
by Rosco