Author Topic: Using the C2 Circus with C1 Catapult tiles  (Read 1741 times)

Offline Drodo

• Duke
  • Merit: 1
  • I haven't updated my profile yet!
    • View Profile
Using the C2 Circus with C1 Catapult tiles
« on: September 02, 2020, 08:12:31 AM »
So I got all expansions on both C1 and C2, amd C1 is by far my favorite version, so much that I dont want to use any C2 tiles in my games.

The Catapult, however, is as terrible as they say. I looked for fan-made rules but none of them were exactly fun in my opinion. There's also C2 Under the Big Top, and I thought about using the Circus rules on the Catapult tiles instead and it worked pretty well! I think Under the Big Top was intended to be C2's catapult after its failure anyway. The theme (jesters, circus) is very similar.

Has anyone done this? Also what's your opinion about Under the Big Top? Personally I like the Circus. They can give a lot of points and you can prevent other players from scoring any points if you complete their features around the circus before it goes.

The Ringmaster is a little useless I think, especially in games with a lot of expansions used. Not many Circus and Acrobat tiles will come out often, and he cant score too many extra points. Just another meeple.

The Acrobats are definitely the worst. You have to commit 1 to 3 meeples, leave them in there for a while and THEN forfeit placing a meeple one more turn to score the pyramid, for only 5 points per meeple. They require you to invest so much on them for only a few points. The worst part? If other players put tiles around it quickly, they can be trapped for the rest of the game on an incomplete pyramid. Not gonna miss these tiles when playing C1 games.

Linkback: https://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/index.php?topic=4783.0
« Last Edit: September 02, 2020, 08:15:10 AM by Drodo »

Offline Bumsakalaka

• Count Chevalier
  • Merit: 31
  • Fan of Fan expansions
    • View Profile
    • www.scifi.sk
Re: Using the C2 Circus with C1 Catapult tiles
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2020, 09:15:17 AM »
Haha. I love pyramids.
Bud it depends on number of players. Ideal for 2-players game. It can not be trapped. And eventually check if opponents has free meeple.
Best playable is with phantom. Than you don't miss feature on placed tile arround pyramid.
So it's just point of view and moment when and WHERE  you place accrobats tile.

My daughter won against me because of acrobats. I had meeples in other features and she had always three meeples free for acrobats.

Interesting strategy, now I always need to find how to protect for this :)

Odoslané z SM-A202F pomocou Tapatalku

Check JCloisterZone Add-ons with fan expansions and also some Slovak sci/fi projects in English https://www.scifi.sk/en/

Offline Meepledrone

• Owner
  • Chatelain Grand Officier
  • Merit: 456
  • It is full of... Meeples!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2020, 09:48:23 AM »
Acrobats and the big top can be a nasty combination: big tops can provide a lot of points to nearby meeples. You usually have one meeple per tile but, with acrobats, you can have up to 3 meeples on a tile for starters. This means that you may place acrobat tiles adjacent to a circus tile with the big top just to let your acrobat score big top points before  scoring the pyramid itself. So here you have another conflict to deal with: shall you score a completed acrobat pyramid as a potential damage control measure even if other players get acrobat points?

I find the combination very interesting but I agree points can be too high. When first playing Exp. 10 with my wife she got most of the acrobat and circus tiles and her score when through the roof. Maybe 3 points per acrobat and keeping animal tokens under 5 points per meeple would keep points from sky rocketing.

BTW, did you come across this variant using the Catapult tiles to implement Exp. 10? It also uses gold ingots as placeholders for the acrobats.
http://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/index.php?topic=3216.0
Questions about rules? Check WICA: wikicarpedia.com

Offline Drodo

• Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2020, 01:01:54 PM »
Hadnt thought about using acrobats in combination with the circus. Lots of points but it depends on the number of players indeed.

In my group it's usually 5 or 6 players and a lot of expansions. Acrobats would be tough to use effectively.

Offline Whaleyland

• Great Khan
  • Global Moderator
  • Marquis Chevalier
  • Merit: 101
  • Toulouse: Carcassonne's insignificant neighbor.
    • View Profile
    • Derek R. Whaley, PhD | Librarian, Historian, and Writer
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2020, 05:46:43 PM »
I agree on all points re:Catapult. One option with using Under the Big Top is that you could treat all tiles with yellow straw features as Circus tiles. So that would include both Catapult tiles and Bazaar tiles. It would make both sets of tiles more useful since nobody I know enjoys Bazaars much and obviously Catapult is just a joke. Mind you, the features would retain their normal functions (or not if ignoring Catapult rules) but would just count as circus tiles for the Ringmaster. East house rule that visually and thematically works.

Offline Drodo

• Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2020, 07:26:29 PM »
I agree on all points re:Catapult. One option with using Under the Big Top is that you could treat all tiles with yellow straw features as Circus tiles. So that would include both Catapult tiles and Bazaar tiles. It would make both sets of tiles more useful since nobody I know enjoys Bazaars much and obviously Catapult is just a joke. Mind you, the features would retain their normal functions (or not if ignoring Catapult rules) but would just count as circus tiles for the Ringmaster. East house rule that visually and thematically works.

We use the Fortune Teller rules with the Bazaar tiles. One of the best fan expansions.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
xx
The North American circus?

Started by Halfling

5 Replies
Last post March 05, 2018, 11:29:42 AM
by Christianmocking
xx
The Circus comes to a town full of fruit trees

Started by dirk2112

0 Replies
Last post January 30, 2019, 06:31:13 AM