Firefly
0 (0%)
Power Grid
5 (11.1%)
Midnight Party
1 (2.2%)
Red dragon Inn?
0 (0%)
Ticket to Ride (inc: Europe or Nordic Countries)
11 (24.4%)
Fields of Arle
0 (0%)
Exceed
0 (0%)
The Game of 49
1 (2.2%)

Total Members Voted: 22

Voting closed: June 05, 2017, 09:33:47 AM

Author Topic: Top 10 Games - Poll #8  (Read 6077 times)

Offline Decar

• Owner
  • Chatelain Grand Officier
  • Merit: 317
  • Shut up and take my money!
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net
Top 10 Games - Poll #8
« on: May 29, 2017, 09:33:47 AM »
If you've been following Carcassonne Central lately, you'll know I've been collecting nominations for the Carcassonne Fan's top 10 games (which are not Carcassonne).  Who better than to ask than you, members of the largest Carcassonne Community!

Nominations are now closed, with a whopping ~166 gaming franchises chosen by you all.  But that does leave us with a difficult question....Which are the top 10 games!

To be clear, I'm not going to attempt to rank all the games, just find those top 10 games we all enjoy.

I'll cut to the chase:  I've grouped the games up randomly into batches of ~20 games.  Every voter has 3 votes they may cast against any games.

You have 7 days to vote, voting will close and The top 2-3 games will be moved into the next knock-out round.  The other games, will be left forgotten.  Hopefully this will help us determine which games are our most favourite.

Here is today's poll - which will close on the 5th June. 

There's time to vote on Poll #7 which is open until 31st May!

Don't vote hastily though, now is the time to persuade others to cast their votes wisely and back your game!

This is our last Poll.

Linkback: https://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/index.php?topic=3363.0

Offline Decar

• Owner
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net
Re: Top 10 Games - Poll #8
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2017, 09:38:03 AM »
Some great games in this list to finish the preliminary round with a bang!

My last nomination was Above and Below - which I reviewed briefly in a post last year.

Offline Paul

• Marquis Chevalier
  • Merit: 86
    • View Profile
    • sydby.com
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2017, 11:13:32 AM »
I can't seem to find any info on "Dungeon Strike". Sounds like the computer game series (Desert Strike, Jungle Strike, Urban Strike etc.)
World record holder for a single game of Carcassonne using 10 007 tiles!

Offline dirk2112

• Baron
  • Merit: 43
  • Filled with caffeine and hyperbole
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2017, 11:34:38 AM »
We just found out that we have been playing Ticket to Ride wrong.  When someone has 2 trains or less, everyone gets another turn including the player who first had 2 trains or less.  This means that if the first player achieves this condition, he or she has 1 more turn than everyone else.  If the last person achieves this condition, everyone has the same number of turns.  What a terrible rule that allows for some serious first player advantage.   

Offline Halfling

• Chatelain
  • Merit: 49
  • Welcome tournament 2015 winner.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2017, 11:56:27 AM »
Not played any, so no vote from me.
The Geek shall inherit the earth if we get a good die role

Offline franks

• Marquis
  • Merit: 26
  • I love Carcassonne
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2017, 04:58:43 PM »
More good to great games.

Vikings is another easy choice for my #1 spot in this list. I've recently upgraded my BGG rating to a 10. We've only just starting playing this game this year, specifically from Feb 4 2017 to present and have already played 25 times. Its' become a go to game for a quick fun match. Mostly recommend for 2 but have recently brought it to work and a 3 player game played very well. Here is a link to my local review: http://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/index.php?topic=3155.msg46728#msg46728

Ticket to Ride series is a bit of an obvious choice as highly recommend game. It is approachable and I have a feeling that it's converted more new gamers to the hobby on this side of the pond!

Kingdomino gets the last vote for me. I think the SDJ nomination shows the accessibility and potential appeal to a wide audience. I'm surprised for the simplicity that it has legs to last as a gateway / filler standard.

More games that I own on the list and wish to play: Fields of Arle, Pandemic Legacy, Above & Below and Firefly.

Franks

Wanna play Carc? Can we add just one more expansion?

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
  • Merit: 293
  • "First to 4 points wins?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2017, 02:59:34 AM »
I've voted! 8) :(y)

Glux is a very light tile-laying game (sort of). Each turn, you place a double-sided tile with a number of pips on it (like the pips on the face of a dice) somewhere on the board depending on where you have previously placed your tiles. Tiles can only be placed the corresponding number of pips away from a previously placed tile of your own colour, but you can’t jump over any other tiles in the process. So the game starts off quite slowly, but builds quickly as the more tiles you place, the more options you have for subsequent turns. The goal of the game is to have the most pips of your colour in as many of the “rooms” (distinct areas of the board – there are about 9 in total) as possible. You get a certain number of points per room, and the player with most points at the end of the game is the winner. I played it with Tom and - (insert name of random German woman who walked up and joined in here) – and I enjoyed it so much that I bought it there and then. Even though it was from Queens Games. And even though I’d vowed never to buy anything from Queens Games ever again after seeing Escape: Zombie City available to buy (I backed this on KickStarter and am still waiting for it) in a shop moments earlier.

Was really pleased to see Dungeon Strike included in this as I still rate it very highly. I really like the art (some of my favourite cards/ tiles/ tokens shown in the photos below) and the theme is not only exciting but it just seems to fit the game so well. The mechanics work well with two (which is fortunate as it’s usually just Becky and I playing) but it scales up to 6 players without there being too much downtime between turns, and the game length always feels just about right. I can’t comment on the strategic side as it’s so deep that I’m still trying to master it, but I know we’re going to continue playing this a lot over the next few years! If anyone is thinking about getting the “Collector’s Edition” box then I highly recommend it. The expansions aren’t so difficult to get hold of now that they’re back in print, but it’s worth getting everything together as it saves a bit of money and Aftermath and Guardians of Fire both integrate with the game so seamlessly that we literally never play it without them anymore.

| |

My final vote went to Dice City. I haven’t played this as much as I’d like to and am only vaguely familiar with the rules, but I love the dice drafting/ engine building mechanics, the theme (building cities is a favourite of mine) and also the amount of interaction between players. I know that Rahdo isn’t a fan of the “take that” element but since I’m usually on the receiving end, Becky and I don’t mind it so much...
« Last Edit: May 30, 2017, 03:43:21 AM by danisthirty »

Offline Paul

• Marquis Chevalier
  • Merit: 86
    • View Profile
    • sydby.com
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2017, 06:15:25 AM »
Any links to Dungeon Strike? I can't find anything, not even thru Google.

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
  • Merit: 293
  • "First to 4 points wins?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2017, 06:37:08 AM »
Any links to Dungeon Strike? I can't find anything, not even thru Google.

Yeah, the makers are kind of exclusive. So much so that I believe they managed to withdraw themselves from Google searches (and all other search engines!) in order to maintain that exclusivity. Their ethos seems to be that you've got to earn your right to play their game...

You can still find stuff about it on BGG and occasionally on eBay though.

Offline Decar

• Owner
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2017, 07:11:54 AM »
I was lucky enough to play it with Dan at Essen last year. In hind sight i wish I bought a copy when I had the chance.  Seems like Dan's photos have been removed too!

Rumour has it another publisher has obtained the rights hence the purging that's taken place.

I really thought the drafting mechanic was innovative, in fact better than 7 wonders duel at 2 players, but it supports more like Dan says.

Hopefully we'll see more soon, but maybe under a different guise.

Offline Hounk

• Baron
  • Merit: 15
  • I haven't updated my profile yet!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2017, 05:59:13 AM »
There are two "Bangs": "The Card Game" and "The Dice Game", which one is meant? Didn't play either anyway. Only vote from me this round goes to "Power Grid". Yes, I have played TtR as well, but am not a big fan of that game.

Offline Decar

• Owner
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2017, 06:22:50 AM »
No idea - Here is the nomination

Here are mine additional nominates:
Power Grid (any map and/or expansion)
Ticket to Ride (any map and/or expansion). I understand you've listed three maps of TTR as separate games, but I'm a lumper as opposed to splitter. It's just a personal taste, but may I overwhelm the list with every map and expansion I know of >:D?
Bang! (any expansion, but no spin-offs)
Saboteur with the expansion. Geologist is my favourite role in the game, and I happen to a geologist in my real life. Well, not really a traditional geologist, but close enough.
6 nimmt!
No Thanks
Coup with the expansion

Offline Decar

• Owner
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2017, 02:16:02 AM »
Here's the result for Poll 8:

1) Ticket to Ride - 11 votes
2) Kingdomino - 6 votes
3) Pandemic Legacy, Power Grid - vote 5
5) Sushi Go! Party - 3 votes
6) Bang!?, Scoville, Above & Below, Dice City, Dungeon Strike - 2 votes
11) Midnight Party, The Game of 49, Kubb, Glüx, Admiral - 1 vote
16) Vikings, Firefly, Fields of Arle, Exceed

So Ticket to Ride and Kingdomino will go through to the final round.

I'll be posting a poll up shortly to determine what our most popular non-Carcassonne game is!

Offline Decar

• Owner
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2017, 02:29:09 AM »

Offline franks

• Marquis
  • Merit: 26
  • I love Carcassonne
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2017, 07:03:56 PM »
Hmmm could have sworn Vikings had at least one of my votes. Perhaps I checked of the wrong box, not that it would have made a difference!

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
question
Top 10 Games - Poll #3

Started by Decar

13 Replies
Last post May 12, 2017, 12:46:43 PM
by Decar
question
Top 10 Games - Poll #6

Started by Decar

17 Replies
Last post June 22, 2017, 04:36:58 AM