Author Topic: Carcassonne Advent Calendar 2016  (Read 14486 times)

Offline Decar

• Owner
  • Chatelain Grand Officier
  • Merit: 317
  • Shut up and take my money!
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net
Re: Carcassonne Advent Calendar 2016
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2016, 04:17:25 AM »
Some of you may have missed by update yesterday:

Day Five:
Doomsayers by Guy

Day Six:
Country Paths by Jan/Fährmann

Offline Decar

• Owner
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net
« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2016, 08:24:24 PM »
It's 11.26 here in the USA.  So not midnight yet - here's my contribution:

German Time Machines by Decar

Offline Decar

• Owner
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net
« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2016, 07:12:00 PM »
Sorry it's late:

I also forgot to mention a big thank you to Ratz for formatting the rules and providing the German translation for my expansion yesterday & also today's!

Pirates of the South Seas by Danisthirty

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
  • Merit: 293
  • "First to 4 points wins?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2016, 02:46:09 PM »
Merry 9th and 10th of December everyone! :(y)

Day Nine:
Wells in a Roundabout (by Jan)

Day Ten:
Groves (by Leven)

Offline Decar

• Owner
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net
« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2016, 03:30:11 AM »
Thanks for keeping Advent going Dan during my absence, it took a very long time to get home yesterday, and I'm pretty shattered.

Today we have:

The Labryrinths by stalcupojoy

Offline Decar

• Owner
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net
« Reply #20 on: December 12, 2016, 03:42:14 PM »
I have some very unfortunately news to share with you all.

It has come to our attention that because I have not verified the licenses of all of the assets used within the Advent Calendar expansions, the members, moderators, administrators and owners of Carcassonne Central may be infringing copyright laws.  As a result, these people may be liable for distributing said assets unlawfully.  Prior to being told, I think Carcassonne Central could at least plausibly deny responsibility, instead leaving liability with the individual; however, now that it has been brought to our attention, this is not the case.

Hopefully, you will understand that Carcassonne Central must take these matter seriously and as a result we must take heed and review the distribution policy we currently do not have.

As a result, I'm left with no alternative but to halt distribution of the advent expansions immediately.  At least until: i) The authors have confirm the sources of all their assets (including: artwork, fonts and file extensions), ii) I or another moderator has confirmed no license has been breached, prior to Carcassonne Central starting distribution.  As I explained earlier this month, I will have no time to do this until I begin my Christmas holiday.  We had already agreed that it was acceptable to distribute HiG copyright notices along side each expansions, but we have been told that even the open Workshop can be seen as distribution method by other owners.

I am extremely sorry to all the members of the community who have spent countless hours preparing their expansions.  I am deeply upset that such matters could not be postponed until the end of the month, especially as some of the best and most innovate expansions were left to share.  If those authors with expansions left to share wish to contact me regarding the first point above, I will be happy to receive them; however I cannot guarantee when I will have chance to verify them.

Once again I find my self apologizing, that I could not deliver the verified, vetted & polished expansions we had all hoped for at the beginning of 2016. Sorry.

Offline txema25

• Vassal
  • Merit: 3
  • I'm still haven't found what I looking for
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 12, 2016, 11:39:05 PM »
I only say, thanks for all, Decar!!!

If I'm enjoying Carccassone it's for jobs like yours. Don't give up.

Offline Leven

• Viscount
  • Merit: 49
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 13, 2016, 01:52:14 AM »
Does this also mean that the members of the forum may not even open new topics within the Expansion Workshop until a moderator pre-checks the content and confirms that everything is all right in terms of copyright?

Offline Decar

• Owner
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net
« Reply #23 on: December 19, 2016, 07:04:58 AM »
Thanks for all the emails I've had last week about the Advent Calendar.

Rest assured the moderators and admins of Carcassonne Central are working to ensure we have a Policy in place, so we will be able to continue soon.

I've had some questions about whether part of new expansions are effected.  I can tell you...everything is effected.

Leven, quite possibly; but it is yet to be confirmed.  Carcassonne Central cannot not be used to distribute material without some form of moderation.

Offline stalcupojoy

• Count
  • Merit: 21
  • คาคาร์ซอนน์ fan in Thailand
    • View Profile
    • Michael Stalcup (Poet)
« Reply #24 on: December 20, 2016, 06:13:58 PM »
Is this why The Labyrinths and The Schoolhouses (both posted in the past week) were recently removed from the Downloads section listing? If so, I can understand, although it would have been nice to get a little explanatory note, whether publicly or privately. As of now, I am still left confused....
« Last Edit: December 20, 2016, 06:17:15 PM by stalcupojoy »
Fan Expansions: Fiefs | Labyrinths | Schoolhouses | Vistas
Poetry Website: michaelstalcup.com

Offline Decar

• Owner
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net
« Reply #25 on: December 21, 2016, 02:07:17 AM »
Sorry stalcupojoy, I thought you were following this thread.  Currently Carcassonne Central has no policy in place to distribute expansions.  Your expansions are not removed, just placed into a pending state until they can be approved.  Even if the individual says their expansion is good to share, some responsibility still lies with Carcassonne Central and at this time it's not clear who precisely is responsible.

I know this effects you greatly as your expansions were some of the most carefully designed you had spent a huge amount of time getting them ready to share.  I really do appreciate your efforts and patience, I'm hoping we can resolve something soon and the Advent Calendar and other expansions can be shared again.

Offline stalcupojoy

• Count
    • View Profile
    • Michael Stalcup (Poet)
« Reply #26 on: January 20, 2017, 08:25:58 PM »
Hi Decar, thanks for your reply. I was following this thread, so I should have known.

Has there been any progress on this in the past month? I understand that there are some complex issues regarding where outside images are sourced from and whether copyrights are being infringed there. But is there any possibility of creating a preliminary system in the meantime while we figure those gray areas out?

For example, The School and The Labyrinths were created using nothing but original Carcassonne tile graphics (no outside images), which is fine by HiG as far as I know. Knowing this, could they be approved as a clearly copyright-infringement-free expansion? In contrast, expansions which fall into a legal "gray area" due to their use of outside images could be held until more detailed guidelines are specified. All we would need is a point person or two.

Just a suggestion... but most of all, I'm just curious where things are at with all of this, since 1. people have been contacting me requesting my expansions, 2. I'm aware of at least one other person who would like to move ahead with work on an expansion but is waiting/hoping for this issue to clear up, and 3. It would be really fun to see the rest of the Advent expansions -- I was super excited for them!

And since the Internet has a tendency to strip all the warmth from communications, let me say most of all: Thank you, thank you, thank you for all you do for this community, Decar! :) I hope you will not feel this post to be accusatory at all, but truly just inquiring and offering suggestions. If answers or solutions are not yet possible, I totally understand, and am grateful that you are working on this issue on behalf of the community.  :(y) :(y)
« Last Edit: January 20, 2017, 08:29:34 PM by stalcupojoy »

Offline Whaleyland

• Great Khan
  • Global Moderator
  • Marquis Chevalier
  • Merit: 101
  • Toulouse: Carcassonne's insignificant neighbor.
    • View Profile
    • Derek R. Whaley, PhD | Librarian, Historian, and Writer
« Reply #27 on: January 20, 2017, 11:45:33 PM »
I second stalcupojoy's comments. I already cleared both of my expansions for release as free of outside graphics. I still would like the second to see the light of day.

Offline Leven

• Viscount
  • Merit: 49
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 19, 2017, 12:07:16 PM »

Thanks for all the emails I've had last week about the Advent Calendar.

Rest assured the moderators and admins of Carcassonne Central are working to ensure we have a Policy in place, so we will be able to continue soon.

I've had some questions about whether part of new expansions are effected.  I can tell you...everything is effected.

Leven, quite possibly; but it is yet to be confirmed.  Carcassonne Central cannot not be used to distribute material without some form of moderation.
Decar, I'm confused about handling new fan-expansions here at CarcC. We stopped publishing our advent calendar expansions (even in the workshop, the files cannot be reached since mid-December), but meanwhile people are still opening new topics in the expansion workshop, and sharing stuff which may be just as effected by copyright issues as the advent calendar expansions could be. Or am I missing something?

Offline stalcupojoy

• Count
    • View Profile
    • Michael Stalcup (Poet)
« Reply #29 on: February 28, 2017, 06:26:40 AM »
Hi Decar,

Any updates or answers? I share Leven's confusion.

If I've been much less active here lately, it's in large part because my main draw to Carcassonne Central is enjoying/encouraging others' fan expansions and developing/sharing my own, and this long wait/confusion has really put a damper on things for me.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
clip
Brettspiel Advent Calendar 2018

Started by Decar

7 Replies
Last post October 30, 2018, 03:34:43 AM
by Decar
xx
Brettspiel Advent Calendar

Started by Whaleyland

52 Replies
Last post January 25, 2016, 05:58:39 AM