Author Topic: Tak – A Beautiful Game.  (Read 2656 times)

Offline Squiffything

• Duke
  • Merit: 21
  • Do I smell onions?
    • View Profile
Tak – A Beautiful Game.
« on: June 15, 2017, 08:16:10 AM »
Although I haven’t been on the forum long I have read through a great number of the threads and I visit daily to see what is happening in the Carcassonne world.

One topic that I have enjoyed reading is the review section of other games. As a games club member I get to play various games ranging from small two player card games to large complicated engrossing multiplayer epics. I do like the interaction of the Co-op games, more so when an evil secret task option is thrown in to add a little bit of sinisterness to the proceedings. I also enjoy the battle of wits between yourself and the other players to see who comes out the top dog in a one verses other/s game.

Tak – A Beautiful Game.

One game that I have come across and enjoy playing regularly is Tak from James Earnest of Cheapass Games and the Author Patrick Rothfuss. A very simple abstract game to learn but difficult to master. It’s a little like chess/drafts and it’s a two player game. It can be played on a varying sized board from 3x3 to 8x8. Each player has a set number of player pieces or stones and a single cap stone. The cap stone is not used in the smaller 3x3 or 4x4 boards. The object of the game is to make a continuous run across the board running horizontally or vertically whilst attempting to stop your opponent from making his run. Stones maybe played flat or standing which then works as a blocker. Standing stones may only be flattened by playing the cap stone. The rules are available for viewing on the Cheapass Games website and, should you wish, you can make your own version using their print your own board. You can also give the game a try on the online site.
I have a Tavern set which comes with a cloth board and a small bag. I can pretty much take this in my pocket and get a game going anywhere.

I also made a set using the print and play option for the board. My capstones follow the hare and tortoise theme and are small carved stone figures

Give it a try and hope you enjoy.

Linkback: https://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/index.php?topic=3402.0
« Last Edit: June 15, 2017, 09:11:18 AM by Squiffything »
Oooo, look at all the meeples

Offline Decar

• Owner
  • Chatelain Grand Officier
  • Merit: 317
  • Shut up and take my money!
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net
Re: Tak – A Beautiful Game.
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2017, 02:39:18 PM »
I did enjoy the look of this, but all the boxes and options on the kickstarter seemed expensive to me.  I built a small Print and Play using Carcassonne tiles (for the board) and tower blocks.  I've yet to sit down and play it properly.

Have you tried GIPF, if you like Tak, you'll love Gipf!

Edit: should say that the photo you provided does explain some of the cost, it does look well presented!

Offline Decar

• Owner
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2017, 02:44:42 PM »
Sorry: way past my bedtime  :-[ 

I forgot to say Thanks for taking the time to write up something about TAK.

I really like how you printed your own board - is it mounted in a frame?

Offline Squiffything

• Duke
  • Merit: 21
  • Do I smell onions?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2017, 03:20:35 PM »
Hi Decar, the first pic in the post is the Cheapass website pic. The second pic is my home made version. I came across a picture frame in a charity shop which was square and fitted the board perfectly. Colour copier printout stuck onto a board and fitted into the frame.

I bought the wooden playing pieces and shaped them to have a flat for standing.

Sorted a couple of pieces of foam and found the stone figures on ebay.  Made the box to fit the 8x8 chess board (another charity shop find) and done. The box could have been better but I'm happy.

You should give your home made board a run out and get a few games played.it does become very addictive.

Offline Decar

• Owner
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2017, 12:02:51 AM »
I realized after I posted.   :-[ Your photo looked good enough to be in the box!

I thought your wooden pieces were from your travel set - hearing you altered them yourself is quite amazing!

I'll definitely have to dust out my copy - here's what it looked like:

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
xx
FS Beautiful Colourful, Glittery, Resin Meeples and Exp Sets FS

Started by Meeples.for.the.Peoples

13 Replies
Last post March 05, 2021, 09:44:59 PM
by corinthiens13
xx
2 player 110 tiles game (Without the base game tiles)

Started by SRBO

3 Replies
Last post August 17, 2015, 02:01:56 AM
by SRBO
xx
Superbowl Sunday: 2-player game (base game + I&C)

Started by Scott

4 Replies
Last post January 31, 2015, 10:36:40 AM
by Scott
xx
WTS: Original art Base game by Rio Grande Games

Started by Halfling

1 Replies
Last post April 18, 2019, 03:07:17 PM
by DrMeeple
xx
Table Talk - how does this happen at your game?

Started by Allan in Brisbane

10 Replies
Last post January 16, 2015, 06:05:28 AM
by Durbs