Author Topic: [Ideas | Predictions] Upcoming Expansions  (Read 16235 times)

Offline Whaleyland

• Great Khan
  • Global Moderator
  • Marquis Chevalier
  • Merit: 101
  • Toulouse: Carcassonne's insignificant neighbor.
    • View Profile
    • Derek R. Whaley, PhD | Librarian, Historian, and Writer
Re: [Ideas | Predictions] Upcoming Expansions
« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2017, 05:13:42 PM »
I'm just going to predict that the annual promo expansions will never be released in the new art. No German Monasteries (or Dutch/Belgian), no German Castles, no German Cathedrals, and no Windroses. Similarly, I don't think the Spielbox expansions will ever be re-released in new art, so no Little Buildings, no Plague, and no Tunnels. Just to add to this list, I very much doubt The School will be released in this art simply because of its purpose as a fundraiser promo.

That still leaves a number of small expansions that could plausibly be re-released in the new art including Besiegers, Corn Circles I, and Halflings I and/or II. Add to those The Phantom and you would actually have a very nice little Expansion 11 combo pack à la Count, King & Cult (Expansion 6).

Offline Vinçon

• Vassal
  • Merit: 5
  • Why you have to be mad?
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2017, 05:19:19 PM »
That still leaves a number of small expansions that could plausibly be re-released in the new art including Besiegers, Corn Circles I, and Halflings I and/or II. Add to those The Phantom and you would actually have a very nice little Expansion 11 combo pack à la Count, King & Cult (Expansion 6).

I wish!

Offline Xanderx12

• Nobleman
  • Merit: 1
  • Meh
    • View Profile
    • Instagram
« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2017, 05:38:04 PM »
Every board game has one of these:

Carcassonne: Call of Cthulhu Edition

Offline Vinçon

• Vassal
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2017, 07:01:10 PM »
Eagerly waiting for it then  ;D

Offline InTheDark

• Nobleman
  • Merit: 6
  • Carcassonne! Where?
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2017, 02:00:02 AM »

I think this would be a great replacement for the Catapult as the 7th expansion.
Also do people think the new 7th expansion will come in a regular or tall box (tower/catapult box)?
"Where Is the French Monasteries Mini Expansion At?" -Guy Wondering Why Game Set In France Gets Expansions Set In Other Countries.

Offline Decar

• Owner
  • Chatelain Grand Officier
  • Merit: 317
  • Shut up and take my money!
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net
« Reply #20 on: December 08, 2017, 03:21:51 AM »
Welcome to the forum InTheDark!

I predict we'll see the continued invasion of Southern France with famous German buildings  :(y)

Perhaps they are too expensive to maintain, so leaving them in France means the local authority will have to pay for up-keep.

Offline flipshot

• Freeman
  • Merit: 4
  • Is it time to play or sleep?
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 08, 2017, 06:18:39 AM »
I can definitely see Wheel Of Fortune and Hills & Sheep being released in the new art style.  I too would love to see a new collection of smaller expansions: Siege, German Cathedrals and German castles in the new art style would be awesome!  I just don't know how they would name it, since there are Cathedrals in Inns & Cathedrals and Castles in Bridges Castles and Bazaars.
Well they have German Castles, German Cathedrals and German Monasteries so far, so maybe combine all these and release in the new art as Carcassonne: Germany Takes Over.
hey wait is BCB released in the new art style yet?
In German, yes. In English, not yet announced. Not sure about other languages.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2017, 06:26:26 AM by flipshot, Reason: add a note »

Offline Vinçon

• Vassal
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 08, 2017, 06:30:53 AM »
I predict we'll see the continued invasion of Southern France with famous German buildings  :(y)

Well they have German Castles, German Cathedrals and German Monasteries so far, so maybe combine all these and release in the new art as Carcassonne: Germany Takes Over.

I've seen that movie, didn't end well for Germany  :-X

Offline Rickk

• Labourer
  • Merit: 0
  • Hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 08, 2017, 06:32:00 AM »
hey wait is BCB released in the new art style yet?

In German, yes. In English, not yet announced. Not sure about other languages.

In the Netherlands 999games have BCB released in the new art style

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
  • Merit: 293
  • "First to 4 points wins?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 08, 2017, 07:13:24 AM »
Great topic Vinçon - +1 merit for getting people talking! :)

A new large expansion came out this year so it's not certain another one will come next year. If I had to guess, I'd say that there won't be another large expansion next year. There was a three-year gap between Expansions 9 and 10.

Yeah but they had a lot of work on their hands with the new artwork edition coming out at the time. I don't think it will be 3 years before we see major expansion #11. In fact I wouldn't be surprised to see it next year. And it will probably be available in time for Essen alongside the African-themed "Around the World" spin-off.

Regarding separate availability of the minis, this is, unfortunately, one of the ongoing issues of Carcassonne fandom - namely that small things often come inside Big Boxes or paired with the base game and are often not made available separately - the River (III) is one example from Big Box 5. Sometimes these things are made available separately online at Cundco (the official shop of the publisher HiG), and sometimes they aren't. This dilemma has resulted, by pure coincidence, in danisthirty owning exactly as many copies of the base game as his age in years (37 in both cases).

:P

But also, it would surprise me if they didn't release the mini expansions separately as they're a lot more than just an alternative version of the river with 1 or 2 slight differences. What's more likely is that they'll release them in a slightly different way (perhaps with a new/ different CC tile in each box making up CC3) forcing the completionists among us to buy both BB6 and the new artwork minis, and leaving all the normal people to choose one or the other depending on what they own.

PS - Welcome to the forums Rickk and InTheDark! It's great to have you joining our little community! :)

PPS:

I have read some posts by danisthirty regarding him shooting for some world records. Pretty sure he is on the good road to achieving them if he hasn't achieved them already!

Pretty sure you haven't! You might be confusing me with someone else :'(
« Last Edit: December 08, 2017, 07:25:43 AM by danisthirty »

Offline Vinçon

• Vassal
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 08, 2017, 07:31:33 AM »
Wohooooo! Thanks!!

Did they did something similar before where they "forced" people to buy a Big Box to complete something else?

And regarding the World Records. I would swear I read something in this very same forum. I'm probably way wrong though!

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 08, 2017, 07:38:17 AM »
Did they did something similar before where they "forced" people to buy a Big Box to complete something else?

And regarding the World Records. I would swear I read something in this very same forum. I'm probably way wrong though!

Personally I've never been forced to buy anything for any game. But HiG do have an irritating habit of releasing special editions of the game with certain exclusive tiles that are very difficult to get hold of elsewhere. And so, if you're someone who *needs* to own *everything* then you end up with multiple copies purely to keep yourself complete... ::)

Maybe it was Paul?

Offline Vinçon

• Vassal
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 08, 2017, 07:44:45 AM »

Personally, I've never been forced to buy anything for any game. But HiG do have an irritating habit of releasing special editions of the game with certain exclusive tiles that are very difficult to get hold of elsewhere. And so, if you're someone who *needs* to own *everything* then you end up with multiple copies purely to keep yourself complete... ::)

Maybe it was Paul?

Yes, it could be!

And reading this, I'm getting afraid my wallet will be emptier than it used to :-\

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 08, 2017, 07:58:20 AM »
And reading this, I'm getting afraid my wallet will be emptier than it used to :-\

But your life will be so much fuller! :@ :(y)

Offline Halfling

• Chatelain
  • Merit: 49
  • Welcome tournament 2015 winner.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 08, 2017, 08:08:31 AM »
Any chance of a Second Star Wars expansion - The Star Traders and Empire Builders?
The Geek shall inherit the earth if we get a good die role

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
xx
Predictions and hopes for the next Carcassonne Around the world

Started by quevy

11 Replies
Last post October 19, 2014, 04:58:10 PM
by Scott
xx
Spring and Summer 2017 Predictions and Wishes from Cundco

Started by Ry4Christ

16 Replies
Last post June 01, 2017, 06:16:46 AM
by Just a Bill
xx
2019 Predictions / Hopes for Carc II :)

Started by Eloniel

6 Replies
Last post December 29, 2018, 05:14:27 PM
by Eloniel
clip
Ideas for additional levels for Mists over Carcassonne

Started by Buselaar

6 Replies
Last post April 05, 2023, 11:28:54 PM
by Challa007
xx
Special Edition of Carcassonne for HiG's 40th birthday - IDEAS PLEASE!

Started by danisthirty

76 Replies
Last post May 28, 2023, 03:22:45 PM
by Ker42