Author Topic: Two castles next to each other  (Read 4064 times)

Offline Leven

• Viscount
  • Merit: 49
    • View Profile
Two castles next to each other
« on: February 05, 2017, 12:51:51 PM »
Initial situation:
These two castles (occupied by RED and GREEN) are in the vicinity of each other. Besides, there are some incomplete roads on the adjacent tiles.

GREEN places an RRRF tile to complete two roads: one of them is worth 4 pts and is in the vicinity of GREEN's castle, the other one is worth 3 pts and is in the vicinity of RED's castle.

Question: how many points do the players score for their castles considering that both castles are in the vicinity of each other?

Linkback: https://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/index.php?topic=3151.0
« Last Edit: January 20, 2020, 02:41:29 PM by Leven »

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
  • Merit: 293
  • "First to 4 points wins?"
    • View Profile
Re: Two castles next to each other
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2017, 01:07:55 PM »
My take on it has always been that if a player could be awarded x points or y points due to some sequence of events, they can take whichever is the higher.

PS - Green should point the spare road on that t-junction in to the middle to lessen the chances of an easy 9 points for the next player who draws a cloister... >:D
« Last Edit: February 05, 2017, 01:09:31 PM by danisthirty »

Offline dirk2112

• Baron
  • Merit: 43
  • Filled with caffeine and hyperbole
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2017, 01:10:51 PM »
My wife and I had a similar situation with a cloister and a city.  The tile that closed the city also finished the cloister.  I don't know the real rule, but we went with what gave us both the least points for our castles.  My son was also playing and didn't benefit from the scoring, so it seemed more fair to take fewer points. 

Offline Leven

• Viscount
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2017, 01:25:44 PM »
My take on it has always been that if a player could be awarded x points or y points due to some sequence of events, they can take whichever is the higher.
The problem is that this time you only know the value of x (the road), y is the value of the other castle but that depends on the other player's choice. But the rules don't define which player's castle should be scored first.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2017, 02:00:33 PM by Leven »

Offline MrNumbers

• Duke Chevalier
  • Merit: 91
    • View Profile
    • Carcassonne Latvia
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2017, 01:39:25 PM »
Assuming, that scoring order starts from active player (which is kinda obvious for me), Green castle receives 4 points (for the road), but Red castle may choose to receive either 3 points (for the road) or 4 points (for Green castle).
"I never lose. Either I win or I learn." (Nelson Mandela)

Offline Leven

• Viscount
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2017, 02:00:05 PM »
Assuming, that scoring order starts from active player (which is kinda obvious for me), Green castle receives 4 points (for the road), but Red castle may choose to receive either 3 points (for the road) or 4 points (for Green castle).
That sounds good* but how does it work in the following situation?
GREEN's castle should be scored first but there are only castles in its vicinity. Should GREEN decide without knowing the values of the other two castles?

* What you are suggesting is that when a player decides which structure to receive points for then he/she may choose an other castle only if it has already been scored? On the one hand I can't find such restriction in the rules, on the other hand would that mean 0 points for GREEN in my current example?
« Last Edit: February 05, 2017, 02:28:15 PM by Leven »

Offline Leven

• Viscount
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2017, 02:58:54 PM »
It seems the implementation in JCloisterZone is very simple: each affected castle scores for the most valuable feature (that is, all score the same points).
That's good to know before starting the BCB expansion league.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2017, 03:02:15 PM by Leven »

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
question
Two castles close to each other: what happens in this case?

Started by carca82

38 Replies
Last post December 14, 2022, 01:09:27 PM
by Bumsakalaka
xx
Two Scoring Rules on Castles

Started by JGreystone

4 Replies
Last post May 11, 2015, 05:43:35 AM
by danisthirty
xx
Two doubts about German Castles expansion