Author Topic: Road Madness - 2 & 3 player quick game - 118 Tiles (german kathedrals)  (Read 4478 times)

Offline SRBO

• Chatelain
  • Merit: 40
  • The Robber Dragon King
    • View Profile
Hello People,

Today I tried one of my suggestions from the Carcassonne Collection Counter: Road Madness.

It consists of the following expansions:
1 x Carcassonne Base Game
1 x Inns & Kathedrals
1 x Bridges (B, C & B)
1 x The School
1 x German Kathedrals
1 x German Castles
1 x Ferries
1 x Robbers
1 x Labyrinth
1 x The Wagon (A & M)
1 x The Phantom

Game has 113 drawtiles and a total of 118 tiles in play.

I don't own The Tunnel yet, so I replaced it with the phantom, which actually is a very good addition to this game.
Short game of maximum 45 min to set up and play it.

I have to admit that both me and my girlfriend (It_sme) had one of the best games we've ever played.

Because this set-up is totally fixed on completing and getting roads, this game is really fun, for the first time we played with german kathedrals. And wow, what a nice complex expansion this is. It really makes roads a thing you want to play with. Your strategy is changed a lot. you're not focussed on cities, because well, the kathedrals make up to around 15-20 points each and then i didn't even count the roads leading to the kathedrals.

Try this set-up dear members, trust me, I liked it, my girlfriend liked it and my brother did too..

So the games:

We did 2 games: 1 with It_sme and me, 1 with It_sme, me and my little brother.

The first game we were really surprised, the new rules really had us working on roads, roads and roads. Which we mostly just quickly end in our regular 200-300 games.
We wanted to do a quick game, with more balance, with my app I recently created, I was thinking of balanced games. This was one of them. And I have to admit, I wasn't disappointed.

The combination of The school and the ferries took us by surprise, the same with the school and the robbers. It made us use the teacher a lot more times. and the robber and the teacher made some really fun combinations. (Player A scored the same points as player B, But the Robber gave Player A, half of those points again. NICE!!)

This game gave us a lot of interactions.
Eventually ending the scoring with:

SRBO (black): 250
It_sme (green): 165

The second game (sorry for bad quality picture)

SRBO (black): 258
It_sme (green): 254
Brother (orange): 206

It was a close call, our concentration was a little lost. But It_sme got more used to the new rules.
at some point all the sides were roads, throwing 2 tiles away because they couldn't be connected.

The Labyrinth was a nice thing with the kathedrals, making large interesting roads.
In the end we were very very close to eachother.
It were 2 fun games.

Grtz,

Steven

Linkback: https://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/index.php?topic=2605.0
« Last Edit: April 08, 2016, 02:03:12 PM by SRBO »

Offline Curt194

• Nobleman
  • Merit: 8
    • View Profile
Sounds great!

I played with German Cathedrals, the labyrinth and bridges the other day and even just with those we were surprised by how much we were concentrating on roads!

I definitely need to try with this mix of expansions as well, ferries I think could have a really big impact on labyrinths and cathedrals.

Great report, I need to give your app a try soon :D

Offline jungleboy

• Viscount Chevalier
  • Merit: 89
  • Nine points!
    • View Profile
    • Spirit of the Camino
Great idea! I've always liked expansions that reward roads to even the balance between roads and cities but I'd never thought about using all these at once to make roads the dominant feature on the board. I'm keen to try it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Christopher

• Count
  • Merit: 12
  • It's not the years, it's the mileage.
    • View Profile
This is fantastic! I was thrilled to read about your game. I love roads, I like anything which makes them more interesting. It's always bugged me that cities are the dominant feature. Interesting to hear that adding all of these made players ignore cities. I look forward to trying this myself!
Look to the north. Keep looking. There's nothing coming from the south.

Offline Whaleyland

• Great Khan
  • Global Moderator
  • Marquis Chevalier
  • Merit: 101
  • Toulouse: Carcassonne's insignificant neighbor.
    • View Profile
    • Derek R. Whaley, PhD | Librarian, Historian, and Writer
Wow! I am honestly impressed. I think you could tighten things up a bit, though.
1 x Carcassonne Base Game
1 x Inns & Kathedrals
1 x Bridges (B, C & B)
1 x The School
1 x German Kathedrals
1 x German Castles
1 x Ferries
1 x Robbers (These don't really benefit Roads in any way)
1 x Labyrinth
1 x The Wagon (A & M)
1 x The Phantom
1 x The Robber Baron (For maximum reward)
1 x The Tunnels (With the double-placement variant)
1 x Crop Circles I & Crop Circle II, but just the tiles with the Baton symbols
1 x The River II (because of the Inn tile)

Offline SRBO

• Chatelain
  • Merit: 40
  • The Robber Dragon King
    • View Profile
Good idead whaley although I have to defend on the following things:
Robbers gives a really fun and nice combinations with the school and has some road tiles. Thats why I added them, (and it gave me a reason to play this expansion haha)
I dont own the tunnel. But it should indeed be in there too.

As for the river 2 it has a lot of tiles without roads, if you begin with the school as a start the you immediately get interactions with roads. Thats what I like about it.

(Tunnels) Corn and baron and no kathedrals true, I should have seen that haha

Offline stalcupojoy

• Count
  • Merit: 21
  • คาคาร์ซอนน์ fan in Thailand
    • View Profile
    • Michael Stalcup (Poet)
Oooh this sounds like a fun idea. I don't have all the expansions you mentioned, but I am thinking of throwing meepleeater's Wells in there once I get that printed soon... and maybe even Detour & Impasse and Roads to Victory to spice it up even more if I ever get around to printing those fan-expansions.

This also makes me want to go back and take a look at what German Cathedrals do, which I will go look up right now!
« Last Edit: June 20, 2016, 12:00:32 AM by stalcupojoy »
Fan Expansions: Fiefs | Labyrinths | Schoolhouses | Vistas
Poetry Website: michaelstalcup.com

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
clip
River Madness - 2 player - 144 tiles (5 Rivers + GQ#11)

Started by SRBO

0 Replies
Last post April 19, 2016, 09:46:39 AM
by SRBO
xx
2 player 110 tiles game (Without the base game tiles)

Started by SRBO

3 Replies
Last post August 17, 2015, 02:01:56 AM
by SRBO
xx
Mini-Expansion "German Kathedrals" for Carcassonne-on-Tour 2016

Started by kettlefish

160 Replies
Last post June 19, 2016, 12:18:12 AM
by stalcupojoy
xx
Superbowl Sunday: 2-player game (base game + I&C)

Started by Scott

4 Replies
Last post January 31, 2015, 10:36:40 AM
by Scott
clip
Quick lunchtime game

Started by Rosco

3 Replies
Last post May 02, 2014, 12:06:53 AM
by danisthirty