Author Topic: A Welcome Tournament for New Members  (Read 93043 times)

Offline Rich_The_Fish

• Marquis
  • Merit: 21
    • View Profile
Re: A Welcome Tournament for New Members
« Reply #30 on: July 14, 2015, 11:25:49 AM »
Hi guys. Not sure if I should post this here but wasn't sure where else and it's kinda relevant to newbies who might be reading this thread (like me).

I'm really struggling to get a game (against the computer) started on JCloisterZone. I'm running 3.2.0 and using the latest Java, but after selecting 'New Game' and picking a meeple for myself (local player) and then selecting another as a computer player, not a lot happens when I click 'Start Game'. The title bar changes to state my player name and says how many tiles are left, but that's about it! If I click on the icon on the Win taskbar (which has changed to indicate my meeple colour), the game screen loads up with the menus across the top but everything else is black.

Please can someone tell me what I'm doing wrong. I have tried it get it to work on both a Win 8.1 and Win 7 laptop, and have tried using v3.1.1 (along with selecting various different options on the settings screen too). Please help, as I was really looking forward to playing.

Happy to post screenshots if it helps.

Cheers, Rich.

Offline jungleboy

• Viscount Chevalier
  • Merit: 89
  • Nine points!
    • View Profile
    • Spirit of the Camino
« Reply #31 on: July 14, 2015, 11:32:04 AM »
If you come to the chat room now, there are a few of us there, including some people who should be able to help you.
http://sydby.com/carcassonne/irc/index.html

Offline Rich_The_Fish

• Marquis
  • Merit: 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 14, 2015, 12:08:54 PM »
If you come to the chat room now, there are a few of us there, including some people who should be able to help you.
Thanks guys for your help, really appreciate it. I can't believe it was that simple - I guess it shows that I don't use a PC for gaming (just spreadsheets)!! For anyone else who might experience the same problem, it was a really easy fix - I just needed to install (i.e. uncompress the downloaded zip folder), rather than trying to run JCZ directly from the downloaded folder!

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
  • Merit: 293
  • "First to 4 points wins?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 14, 2015, 12:13:28 PM »
Thanks guys for your help, really appreciate it. I can't believe it was that simple - I guess it shows that I don't use a PC for gaming (just spreadsheets)!! For anyone else who might experience the same problem, it was a really easy fix - I just needed to install (i.e. uncompress the downloaded zip folder), rather than trying to run JCZ directly from the downloaded folder!

Although I didn't help to solve the problem for you, I can at least point out that I know of several people doing exactly the same thing so don't feel too bad about it! :)

Offline jma03

• Count
  • Merit: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 14, 2015, 04:29:28 PM »
I happened to me the same.jejeje
and thanks to the kindness of the people who make this forum makes everything easier
( Especially for people like me who am little skilled for computing and gaming lines)
When you lose, do not look at what you lost, but what's left to win ..

Offline Merlin_89

• Nobleman
  • Merit: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 15, 2015, 11:07:50 AM »
I confirm my participation, I'm waiting for your instructions (especially how and when to enter tournament games).

Offline spikey_dino

• Freeman
  • Merit: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 15, 2015, 11:47:11 AM »
I'm interested in participating in this tournament :)

Offline kettlefish

• Global Moderator
  • Chatelain Officier
  • Merit: 127
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 15, 2015, 12:38:05 PM »
So - here is the list with the members who likes to play here in the "Welcome Tournament"
At the moment we have here 12 members - a perfect number of people for a small tournament.

- lomdr
- franks
- Koremu
- Curt194
- toastytoast
- Safari
- Merlin_89
- spikey_dino
- Halfling - does he confirmed?
- Ailurus
- Rich_The_Fish
- QueenAlkie

Decar - should they play in 3 groups - each group with 4 participants?

Participants for the "Welcome Tournament":
- please install the software JCloisterZone version 3.1.1. The folder needs to unzip at your computer.
- before the tournament starts - please have some test games
- you can test some games also with the community online - please come first online in the chatroom:
- If you like to play some test games you can post here or at following topic:
  We organize a game now?
The test games are great to learn how does the software JCloisterZone (JCZ) work.

Offline Safari

• Count
  • Merit: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 15, 2015, 02:22:59 PM »
Well, I have version 3.1.0, do I have to update too? You know: Never touch a running sistem.  >:D
If yes: Where can I download it? I only can find the possibility to download 3.2.

Do we need to prepare anything in order to be able to connect to the game server? I don't have any idea how to play via Host/Port system.
Safari

(\__/)
 (O.o )
 (> < )
 This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination.

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 15, 2015, 02:51:12 PM »
Well, I have version 3.1.0, do I have to update too? You know: Never touch a running sistem.  >:D
If yes: Where can I download it? I only can find the possibility to download 3.2.

Decar posted a link to the download for version 3.1.1 here in his previous post here (point 2):

http://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/index.php?topic=1920.msg25667#msg25667

All you need to do to connect to a running game (provided someone else is hosting it - which will be arranged) is an IP address and a port number which you type in after clicking "Connect".  :(y)
« Last Edit: July 15, 2015, 03:07:09 PM by danisthirty »

Offline franks

• Marquis
  • Merit: 26
  • I love Carcassonne
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 15, 2015, 11:12:44 PM »
Hi Gang,

As per the edit on my original post. I'm traveling on business and holiday until July 29th. Participating will be a challenge. I will attempt the call up but please prepare if I can't make it.

Cheers,
Franks

Wanna play Carc? Can we add just one more expansion?

Offline Decar

• Owner
  • Chatelain Grand Officier
  • Merit: 317
  • Shut up and take my money!
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net
« Reply #41 on: July 16, 2015, 01:57:44 AM »
We should be starting at some point this evening; I'll publish a fool-proof guide for you all to follow  :(y)

I just wanted to check with: QueenAlkie that she's able to use a PC/mac/linux rather than her phone to play.  I don't think you'll need phenomenal service to JCZ online.

Offline jma03

• Count
  • Merit: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 16, 2015, 02:00:05 AM »
If someone wants to have a practice game before the competition, I would be delighted. My name is Jacobo.

Offline Decar

• Owner
  • Chatelain Grand Officier
  • Merit: 317
  • Shut up and take my money!
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net
« Reply #43 on: July 16, 2015, 10:14:33 AM »
Firstly:

Thank you for everyone who has decided to take part. For many of you it's the first time you've played Carcassonne Online and for me it is the first time I've tried to run a tournament.  So, I suspect they'll be a few mistakes, but hopefully nothing we can't resolve and hopefully we'll have fun in the process.

As we discussed before the tournament will be broken up into Rounds. 

Round 1: Basic Game only 1v1.

The 12 participants we have split into 2 groups as follows:

Group1: lomdr, franks, Halfling, Curt, Merlin_89, Safari
Group2:toastytoast, spikey_dino, Koremu, Ailurus, Rich_The_Fish, QueenAlkie

The 6 players in each group have been selected at random.

I understand that scheduling time to play is difficult for everyone, especially during this time of year with holidays etc.  As a result, The groups have been made large, so there should be games to play while another person is on holiday or unavailable for a few weeks. 

My recommendation is to take your time between games, there's no point trying to rush them all into one afternoon.  You'll may be left waiting several days.  If you are on holiday bare in mind that people may be waiting for you to play.

Organizing a Game
As I already mentioned, each player must play every other player in their group.  Please PM someone in the group to organize a game.  Be mindful of constraints on time-zones etc -  I'm sure everyone can be accomodating.

Please let us know here if you have problems scheduling a game with any player.  It would be helpful if you could share the time of your games here as well, so we can see who has been proactive etc.

If for whatever reason, you cannot attend the game please let us and your partner know As Soon As Possible.  It does not mean you will have to forfeit your game, possibly you can arrange for a more suitable time.

Carcassonne Medium
I don't strictly impose a Carcassonne medium that must be played.  In this round, only the BASIC set is required.  Generally, given the distances between players we recommend JCloisterZone 3.1.1 (see below).  If you wish to meet in person to play you're welcome to do so.  If you wish to arrange an iPhone/Android game, you're also welcome to do so.  If you wish to play by email/forum...which is very slow...you're welcome to do so.  In our experience, JCloisterZone is the most widely supported medium.

JCloisterZone 3.1.1
This is currently the recommended version which runs on Java which will run on Windows/Mac/Linux.
You can download it here:
http://jcloisterzone.com/builds/JCloisterZone-3.1.1.zip
Remember to extract the zip before executing the Runtime.

If you have any problems please contact us in the Chatroom (see below), we can help.  :(y)

Before your Game - Meet in the chatroom
It's generally a good idea to try and meet in the CarcassonneCentral Chatroom before your game is meant to begin:  http://sydby.com/carcassonne/irc/index.html

When your partner arrives, one of you will have to HOST the game.  Hosting the game means your machine running JCZ will manage the game and the other player  must connect to your machine from their location.  This usually means they have to traverse the firewall on your home's router.  If this is all sounding alien to you, don't be scared, visit us in the chatroom, we can try and help you.

If neither party can host a game - I or Danisthirty (plus others) will happily host your game.  Which means both players will connect to another person's machine to play their game.

If your player does not turn up, please give them a few minutes grace.  If they have not arrived 15-minutes after your start time, please comment here and we'll try to work out what happened.  It does not mean you will automatically win the game.  There are many reasonable circumstances, why you may miss your game and we'll need to assess.

Setting Up the Game
Once you've connected to the game, the following Settings must be applied to JCZ.  No Expansions,  Randomize Seating Order[ x ]

Here is a screenshot of the configuration:

You should be ready to Start.

Enjoy Your Game  :(y) :(y)

After Your Game
You must record the results.  The best way to do this is, take a screenshot/printscreen and attach the picture to a reply on this forum thread.
This lets me check the scores and shows everyone else your game.

Once your score has been recorded, I will be able to update the Results Sheet.

You can all view the results sheet here:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1AaY3-ik5omWhpN0HgZHPgygGuceS2jNjtEWYvi988-o/edit?usp=sharing

I'll take the occasional screenshot and share this with everyone here:

Tournament Format
I described this before, but I will summarize again:

You'll score 2 league points for a win; 1 point for a draw, 0 points for a loss. 
Positive Points Difference will also be used to break tie breaks.
Positive Points Difference will also be used to break tie breaks.  To confirm:  If PlayerA scores 150 points, while PlayerB scores 125 points.  PlayerA's PPD will be +25.  PlayerB's PPD will be 0 (NOT -25).

Wrap-Up

Try and enjoy your games, my personal tactic is to give everything you've got.  If you're going to lose you might as well lose by 50points rather than 5 ;)  There's plenty more games for you to try.

Remember, if you've got any questions you can contact me here, on PM or find us in the chatroom- http://sydby.com/carcassonne/irc/index.html

You're also welcome to ask for a practice game with anyone, if you need to test JCZ.

Without further ado:  I now declare the First Carcassonne Central Welcome Tournament.......OPEN
« Last Edit: June 08, 2016, 09:19:19 AM by Decar »

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 16, 2015, 10:26:48 AM »
Good luck to all involved. I hope you have a great tournament!

My best advise is not to be intimidated by the competition. I've learnt a lot from my numerous losses to people from these forums, so enjoy the experience and try to make the most of it (even when you lose)!  :)

Finally, do post here if you have any problems or difficulties. There are lots of people who can help out regardless of the nature of the problem.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
grin
Welcome Tournament

Started by Decar

11 Replies
Last post August 23, 2015, 09:24:51 AM
by Decar
xx
Welcome Tournament 2016

Started by Decar

256 Replies
Last post January 07, 2017, 02:36:52 AM