Author Topic: Cundco old art request?  (Read 17917 times)

Offline Fritz_Spinne

• Authors
  • Viscount
  • Merit: 21
    • View Profile
Re: Cundco old art request?
« Reply #30 on: January 08, 2017, 08:30:09 AM »
The translation in German is not good - but the English sentences were proper. I think they don't use any automatic translator at HiG or Cundco, they have staff speaking english as second language.

Offline dirk2112

• Baron
  • Merit: 43
  • Filled with caffeine and hyperbole
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 08, 2017, 08:46:06 AM »
The translation in German is not good - but the English sentences were proper. I think they don't use any automatic translator at HiG or Cundco, they have staff speaking english as second language.

Translation services are terrible.  Where I work, we are not allowed to use them.  I imagine you are correct, but with my luck I will submit my email when the English speaking staff are all on vacation.   :)

By the way kudos to all of the folks on this forum who speak multiple languages.  I have been trying to improve my Spanish, but I am not close to being able to participate in a Spanish language forum. 

Offline kettlefish

• Global Moderator
  • Chatelain Officier
  • Merit: 127
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 08, 2017, 09:41:27 AM »
I say this as always again and again....
sometimes they reprint this and that - it could be some of your wishes but it needs time.
The BigBox5 is  still in our shops here in Germany. And a new BigBox is not yet outside.
That means not yet a river I with items from the Hills & Sheep expansion - many people say it will be the river III but HiG use it as River I.

Ofen they "fill" the CundCo Shop with mini expansions to the Easter (March/April) time, to the "Spiel"(Occtober) and to the christmas time (December).

A print run needs 6-8 weeks for example. Mostly a print run will be more than only a hundred mini expansions.
---------------------------
And as the other members have said - the stuff at CundCo and at HiG can speak, read and write a good English.

Offline Decar

• Owner
  • Chatelain Grand Officier
  • Merit: 317
  • Shut up and take my money!
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net
« Reply #33 on: January 08, 2017, 10:42:49 AM »
I can certainly confirm kettlefish's word about HiG Staff's use of excellent English.  Everyone I spoke too at Essen were more than fluent!

I'm sorry, I didn't want to come across negatively, as I think your idea is admirable, but many have mentioned the economic issues; from the printer and the the publisher - these are two different organizations.

I'm not aware of the industrial scale of the printers HiG use, but I suspect they wouldn't even turn their printer on for less than a $250k batch.  These are the same printers which have printed the ~2-million copies of the base game of Carcassonne that have sold since the new art work was introduced less than 2 years ago.  That's the scale of the printer used.

I don't think these guys turn up at work at 9am and print 100 copies of a game in a morning when they're ordered from suppliers.  I think it's more likely they create a batch of 10s or 100s of thousands of copies.  The publisher has to judge how many copies will sell over a period of time, before starting a new print run.  I suspect, given the 16 years of experience HiG have publishing Carcassonne, they can model this very well.  They how many and how quickly a print run will sell and when the optimal time to produce, in order to see the return on their investments.  HiG are experts in this field.

But back to the printers:
Every print run will require proofing to check the colour and alignment is correct.  I suspect the Carcassonne tile printer also feeds directly into a machine that cuts them.  Once everything starts the printer will run continuously, day and night until the order is complete.

If you had a printer which could print vast copies of something in a consistent way; would you:
i) Spend time preparing a print run of 100 copies or
ii) Spend the same duration preparing a print run of 100k copies?
The wastage of proofing print runs will be the same.   :(y)

The printer doesn't care so long as their paid, so the publisher would have to absorb that cost.  But the issue is the vast overhead in creating every print run.

From the publisher's perspective - If you had to pick between printing a brand-new expansion no one has, or printing an expansion 98% of the people who-would-ever-buy-it already have, which would you opt for- remember that overhead we have to cover?

I suspect all the Besieger tiles were printed in a single run in 2013.  And shared between a panels and included with the Müller Exklusiv-Edition.
Crop Circles (Not Corn Circles as you stated) was issued twice, in only two runs.  This is clear because of the differences in green in both copies/editions.

Also the Easter 2016 Cundco Newsletter included:

During the spring cleaning a partner merchant appeared a mysterious small box, on closer inspection, it contained ... drumroll ... 100 mini-expansions "The besiegers'! This rarity we no longer produced and not reissued. But at Easter, we can offer you these 100 copies still, of course, only as long as this same stock. And please: Only once the besiegers per household order, there are as many have a chance.

I admire the passion and work - but I don't comprehend where the the economic incentive HiG would need to print these expansions; unless you're offering to but 100k editions for 10Euros each!

It you need someone to boost the numbers, put me down for a copy of anything produced - but I can't do more than that.

I would have picked you up a copy of BB5 at Essen for 20Euro if I'd known.  I suspect there will be some left next year too!

Offline Paul

• Marquis Chevalier
  • Merit: 86
    • View Profile
    • sydby.com
« Reply #34 on: January 08, 2017, 11:22:32 AM »
We can only speculate on how much they require to make a printing run worthwhile. Best thing would simply mail them and ask, or if someone knows a person there who can answer this directly.

Once we have this figure and how many prints there would be for this and for what expansions available for print, we can determine how viable this is.
World record holder for a single game of Carcassonne using 10 007 tiles!

Offline dirk2112

• Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 08, 2017, 11:36:30 AM »
We can only speculate on how much they require to make a printing run worthwhile. Best thing would simply mail them and ask, or if someone knows a person there who can answer this directly.

That is what I am planning to do.   I'll send them a message on Monday.

Offline jungleboy

• Viscount Chevalier
  • Merit: 89
  • Nine points!
    • View Profile
    • Spirit of the Camino
« Reply #36 on: January 08, 2017, 11:53:18 AM »
I would have picked you up a copy of BB5 at Essen for 20Euro if I'd known.  I suspect there will be some left next year too!

20 euros, really? I probably should have picked one up!

Offline Decar

• Owner
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net
« Reply #37 on: January 08, 2017, 11:55:37 AM »
It was during the last 20 minutes of Essen when all the stalls were closing.  They were dirt cheap.  The only thing that stopped me was the weight of everything else bearing down on my shoulders....that and I've already got  two :-[

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
  • Merit: 293
  • "First to 4 points wins?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 08, 2017, 11:57:16 AM »
It was during the last 20 minutes of Essen when all the stalls were closing.  They were dirt cheap.  The only thing that stopped me was the weight of everything else bearing down on my shoulders....that and I've already got  two :-[

And that we only had about 3 Euros left between us (that we knew about)...

Offline Decar

• Owner
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net
« Reply #39 on: January 08, 2017, 12:01:20 PM »
Oh yes! I'd forgotten about the Egg-Laying-Woolen-Milk-Pig that cleared my wallet out.

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
  • Merit: 293
  • "First to 4 points wins?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 08, 2017, 01:33:54 PM »
Thanks and I agree.  Though I don't expect forum users to give me their real names and I feel using forum names is ultimately weak, so there is not much to be done to address that.

I don't mind you using my name on this but obviously you'd need everyone's name to make a different and I can understand there being some who weren't willing.

I'm not going to make a long post as there isn't much I can add to what's already been said, but I too am impressed by your enthusiasm and your willingness to try and make something happen, even if it doesn't work out. A lot of people talk about stuff and complain about stuff but when it really comes down to it, few of us are willing to try to make a positive difference. Merit to you for settle an example and trying to do something, regardless of the outcome! :)

Offline Whaleyland

• Great Khan
  • Global Moderator
  • Marquis Chevalier
  • Merit: 101
  • Toulouse: Carcassonne's insignificant neighbor.
    • View Profile
    • Derek R. Whaley, PhD | Librarian, Historian, and Writer
« Reply #41 on: January 08, 2017, 03:24:55 PM »
I too will forward my name. Even before Carc II, I have always been in favour of making uncommon expansions more publicly accessible. I was a huge fan of the Crop Circles, Tunnels & Plague expansion when Rio Grande proposed it and was very sad to see that project disappear when Z-Man took over.

Offline dirk2112

• Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 08, 2017, 03:35:14 PM »
d

A lot of people talk about stuff and complain about stuff but when it really comes down to it, few of us are willing to try to make a positive difference. Merit to you for settle an example and trying to do something, regardless of the outcome! :)

Sending them a request is no big deal.  If they agree to it and I have to put my money where my mouth is, that will be the real trick. 

Offline Decar

• Owner
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net
« Reply #43 on: January 08, 2017, 03:40:27 PM »
Please dont order 100k copies of Besiegers- unless you're secretly a millionaire  :(y) :(y) :(y)

Offline dirk2112

• Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 08, 2017, 04:03:10 PM »
Please dont order 100k copies of Besiegers- unless you're secretly a millionaire  :(y) :(y) :(y)

If I was secretly a millionaire, I'd hire Doris Matthaus to free-hand me some crop circles on blank tiles. :))

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
xx
New Art vs Old Art...a Solution

Started by Reggie777

3 Replies
Last post February 17, 2015, 08:31:46 AM
by Hounk
clip
Favouritism Poll #8 : Large Expansion Box Art (Old Art)

Started by dirk2112

11 Replies
Last post February 10, 2017, 07:16:40 AM
by Karcalijn
xx
New Art vs Original Art Dividers

Started by Clownfeet

15 Replies
Last post July 14, 2016, 02:47:23 AM
by lomdr
xx
WTB: Abbey & Mayor, Hills & Sheep in "old" art style