Author Topic: Carcassonne - new Edition - Is that true?  (Read 134719 times)

Offline kettlefish

• Global Moderator
  • Chatelain Officier
  • Merit: 127
    • View Profile
Re: Carcassonne - new Edition - Is that true?
« Reply #180 on: September 23, 2014, 01:20:02 PM »
A few minutes ago Moritz Brunnhofer (from Hans im Glück) posted a long comment in the german forum CarcF.
In the post he explained the reasons for the new edition with some good examples of the new tiles.
http://www.carcassonne-forum.de/viewtopic.php?f=155&t=1928&p=18534#p18534
I'm sorry, it's in german. Perhaps I could manage it to translate it or make a summary during the next day (german time MWSZ  ;))

Thanks Benny, I think Moritz will answer here directly too.

Offline kettlefish

• Global Moderator
  • Chatelain Officier
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: September 23, 2014, 02:21:55 PM »
Sorry, Gerry,
I have to delete it.
Moritz Brunnhofer from HiG will answer himself here at CarcC.

But he need some time to translate it in the correct form.

Please wait.

Offline JT Atomico

• Marquis
  • Merit: 61
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: September 23, 2014, 02:48:07 PM »
I think the new tiles look really good! Excited about this new edition. #UnpopularOpinion

Offline Rosco

• Duke Chevalier
  • Merit: 41
  • Racing, and playing hard!
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: September 23, 2014, 02:54:23 PM »
I think they look really good too - i do think it is a shame they dont gel well with the original artwork but i am not too bothered really.  the only thing that bothers me is the amount of hard earned cash i will need to spend on it!
Just lay the damn tile!

Gerry

« Reply #184 on: September 23, 2014, 03:49:38 PM »
well I expect there will be a deluxe BIG BIG Box in about 12 - 18 months in the new format with all the expansions

Offline Whaleyland

• Great Khan
  • Global Moderator
  • Marquis Chevalier
  • Merit: 101
  • Toulouse: Carcassonne's insignificant neighbor.
    • View Profile
    • Derek R. Whaley, PhD | Librarian, Historian, and Writer
« Reply #185 on: September 23, 2014, 07:20:36 PM »
That may not actually be a terrible deal – to include all the large expansions in one box. Not counting Wheel of Fortune, each expansion costs roughly $18 retail, I believe. The base game is $30 retail. Together, that would bring it to just under $200. Toss in the new River and maybe player pieces for up to 8 players, and that easily is $200. Then since a Big Box doesn't require as many boxes or rules sheets, there is a significant discount. It's roughly 30% off normally, though that varies from box to box. That would make the Carcassonne Big Box Complete $140. Not a bad deal at all for all new art and tiles.

Offline jungleboy

• Viscount Chevalier
  • Merit: 89
  • Nine points!
    • View Profile
    • Spirit of the Camino
« Reply #186 on: September 23, 2014, 10:09:45 PM »
I think the new tiles look really good! Excited about this new edition. #UnpopularOpinion

Looking at the images posted in the link to CarcF, I must also agree that these look very good. In the promo picture I was worried about the lightness of the walls (and I still am a bit, even though this was addressed in the post), but the details on the tiles look really nice. I don't think I have the same problem with blue and red roofs that others have posted here. Actually I really like the coloured turrets because they evoke the real Carcassonne.

As one of the 'negative' posters about 2.0, I think I've been fairly consistent in saying that regardless of whether I like the new design, my main issue is that I don't want to mix old and new tiles (i.e. if new expansions come out with new tiles but the old expansions aren't updated with new tiles). So this is still a concern for me but we'll have to wait and see.

Offline Guy

• Count
  • Merit: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: September 23, 2014, 11:49:35 PM »
I'm intrigued more by what they mean by 'liquid entry'.  What are people's thoughts on how the gameplay is affected in this new edition of Carcassonne?  Could it be that they're introducing a hand of tiles as an official rule so that new players have more options when placing tiles? I can't think of other ways to change entry into the game...

Guy
I play orange

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
  • Merit: 293
  • "First to 4 points wins?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: September 24, 2014, 12:07:52 AM »
I was intrigued by this too, although mostly by the way it was worded as much as anything else. I posted a couple of questions on one of the Facebook groups that announced it and was assured there that these were cosmetic changes only and that there would be no changes made to the basic rules, just an update to the rules booklet.

Offline jungleboy

• Viscount Chevalier
  • Merit: 89
  • Nine points!
    • View Profile
    • Spirit of the Camino
« Reply #189 on: September 24, 2014, 10:37:12 AM »
Could it be that they're introducing a hand of tiles as an official rule so that new players have more options when placing tiles?

I hope not. I don't like the hand of tiles option myself.

Offline kettlefish

• Global Moderator
  • Chatelain Officier
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: September 24, 2014, 10:58:48 AM »
Could it be that they're introducing a hand of tiles as an official rule so that new players have more options when placing tiles?

I hope not. I don't like the hand of tiles option myself.
No hand of tiles.

Offline Fritz_Spinne

• Authors
  • Viscount
  • Merit: 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: September 25, 2014, 03:58:03 AM »
According to this blog http://www.trictrac.net/news/carcassonne-die-neuauflage the mechanic of the Abbot is as follows:
You can place him on a cloister or a garden and take him back whenever you want, if you don't placed a follower in your turn (like in "South Sea" and "Discovery"). The scoring is like the final scoring in that case.
Gardens are a new element, I think we could make garden tiles for the old edition, too, and replace regular tiles to play with this mini expansion.

Offline Scott

• Administrator
  • Viscount Chevalier
  • Merit: 114
    • View Profile
    • CarcassonneCentral
« Reply #192 on: September 26, 2014, 07:19:14 PM »
I just read through Mortiz's post on CarcF. I wasn't able to understand everything, but I think I got 90% of it. In the Big Box thread I said I would never buy a Big Box, but now that I'm thinking more about the new artwork, I would be interested to buy a Big Box version with all new artwork.

I don't think we should be stressing out about things which are not firmly decided yet. However, I do think it's valid for us to express our concerns about the future of our favorite game. Even better would be a collaborative discussion between ourselves and the publishers. I see an opportunity to do some things differently with this new era of Carcassonne than what happened in the past. Maybe this time around, Spielbox won't get exclusive expansions that the other publishers can't sell. Maybe this time around there won't be a Catapult.

As with any work of art, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I like both the old art style as well as the new art style. Of course, my preference is for the old art style because I've been living with it for the past decade, but if the new art style will help the game remain popular for the next generation of gamers, then I'm supportive of it.

Offline Paul

• Marquis Chevalier
  • Merit: 86
    • View Profile
    • sydby.com
« Reply #193 on: September 27, 2014, 12:09:22 AM »
I just read through Mortiz's post on CarcF. I wasn't able to understand everything, but I think I got 90% of it. In the Big Box thread I said I would never buy a Big Box, but now that I'm thinking more about the new artwork, I would be interested to buy a Big Box version with all new artwork.

I don't think we should be stressing out about things which are not firmly decided yet. However, I do think it's valid for us to express our concerns about the future of our favorite game. Even better would be a collaborative discussion between ourselves and the publishers. I see an opportunity to do some things differently with this new era of Carcassonne than what happened in the past. Maybe this time around, Spielbox won't get exclusive expansions that the other publishers can't sell. Maybe this time around there won't be a Catapult.

As with any work of art, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I like both the old art style as well as the new art style. Of course, my preference is for the old art style because I've been living with it for the past decade, but if the new art style will help the game remain popular for the next generation of gamers, then I'm supportive of it.

I don't mind the re-release of the Catapult. Just leave out the wooden catapult, all those tokens, put in a few more tiles and some new rules.  ;)
World record holder for a single game of Carcassonne using 10 007 tiles!

Offline Whaleyland

• Great Khan
  • Global Moderator
  • Marquis Chevalier
  • Merit: 101
  • Toulouse: Carcassonne's insignificant neighbor.
    • View Profile
    • Derek R. Whaley, PhD | Librarian, Historian, and Writer
« Reply #194 on: September 27, 2014, 01:24:46 AM »

I don't mind the re-release of the Catapult. Just leave out the wooden catapult, all those tokens, put in a few more tiles and some new rules.  ;)
I think I'd prefer a retheme of the Catapult to be something like "The Travellers" or something suggestive of Gypsies/Roma. That would emphasize the tent aspect of the fair tiles rather than the catapult. The various tokens also need a repurposing. I still don't like the current alternate rules. Perhaps simply trying to toss the tiles onto the board would work.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
xx
6th expansion Count, King and Robber (German edition) for new edition is on sale

Started by ozgurceylan

24 Replies
Last post July 17, 2017, 08:27:58 AM
by Just a Bill
xx
Carcassonne first edition?? Is it first edition?

Started by JoeSesquipedalian

10 Replies
Last post May 28, 2016, 01:07:24 PM
by Halfling
xx
WTB: Carcassonne Limited Edition and Limited Edition Die Märkte zu Leipzig

Started by Frans0

0 Replies
Last post February 12, 2022, 09:13:14 AM
by Frans0
clip
New edition Carcassonne with "der Abot"