Author Topic: About the vineyards  (Read 9591 times)

Offline BabyGamer

• Duke
  • Merit: 12
  • Aloha! =^_^=
    • View Profile
About the vineyards
« on: July 30, 2014, 03:19:21 PM »
Hello! :)

I have a question about the vineyards... :)

Is it enough that a vineyard tile is in one of the 9 tiles for a cloister, or does it have to be on the same field as the cloister? :) Like, I made this video, and in my example, I started to wonder will the cloister get 3 extra points for the vineyard or not, since they are on 2 different fields. :(

Here is what I mean, in the video:

Thank you in advance for your answers!  ;D

Linkback: https://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/index.php?topic=914.0

Gerry

Re: About the vineyards
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2014, 03:27:18 PM »
The rules make no mention of fields, just surrounding tiles.  So I would think that any vinyard on any part of a surrounding tile would score the 3 points.

I love the artwork of the vinyards, small but very clear.

Offline BabyGamer

• Duke
  • Aloha! =^_^=
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2014, 03:27:44 PM »
OH!!  :o

I just read another Vineyard topic, and it left me with one more question.. :)

It was a question about how Vineyards and Cult Places (mini and 6th expansion) goes together ... at that thread it said "yes".. that they DO work together..  ???

So does that mean that if you finish a cult with 9 pieces, and have a vineyard nearby, you get 3 points for that as well?
But... Why would a cult need vine? Only Christians use the vine as Jesus blood, to drink.. A cult would not need any vine to drink, since they might not believe it's Jesus blood, and therefore has no use for any nearby vineyards, right?

Because of this logic, I have played that only cloisters with vineyards gets the extra 3 points, not the cults. Is this wrong?  ??? Why do cults need the vine, if they are competing against cloisters?

Offline Paul

• Marquis Chevalier
  • Merit: 86
    • View Profile
    • sydby.com
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2014, 03:36:36 PM »
Unfortunately I do not have Hills and Sheep yet so I can't answer that.

But I did watch the video from start to finish. It was quite fun to watch and it has encouraged me to make a video as well! I also took the liberty of adding a comment (by OnePointSystem).  ^-^
World record holder for a single game of Carcassonne using 10 007 tiles!

Offline quevy

• Duke Chevalier
  • Merit: 105
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2014, 04:05:10 PM »
I think your question is well-argued, if I have to give my ideas, I agree. I defer to those who know better know the rules or the declaration of HiG :)
A knight is sworn to valour.
His heart knows only virtue.
His blade defends the helpless.
His might upholds the weak.
His word speaks only truth.
His wrath undoes the wicked.

:white-meeple: My works.

Offline Carcking

• Duke Chevalier
  • Merit: 33
  • I call Red!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2014, 06:08:22 PM »
...Is it enough that a vineyard tile is in one of the 9 tiles for a cloister, or does it have to be on the same field as the cloister?...

Hi, good questions. Yes, it is enough that the Vineyard is in the 9 tile vicinity of the Cloister. The rule does not indicate that the Vineyard must be in the same field as the Cloister.

...It was a question about how Vineyards and Cult Places (mini and 6th expansion) goes together ... at that thread it said "yes".. that they DO work together..  ???

So does that mean that if you finish a cult with 9 pieces, and have a vineyard nearby, you get 3 points for that as well?
But... Why would a cult need vine? Only Christians use the vine as Jesus blood, to drink.. A cult would not need any vine to drink, since they might not believe it's Jesus blood, and therefore has no use for any nearby vineyards, right?...

HiG has made the statement (somewhat of a trap statment perhaps) that the Cult Place is the same as the Cloister, as well as the Abbey and Monk occupied German Monastery, in all the essential ways relative to other mechanics. So those mechanics that affect and interact with the Cloister also affect and interact with the Cult Place in the same way. To resolve the mechanics you really have to put the religious "logic" aside. (There is one main difference and that is that a Cult Place may not challenge another Cult Place, and a Cloister may not challenge another Cloister. And of course one is occupied by a Heretic and one is occupied by a Monk.)
I just drew the perfect tile for my MonKnighThieFarmer!

Offline BabyGamer

• Duke
  • Aloha! =^_^=
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2014, 04:22:15 AM »
Ok.. :)

Thank you! :) So any vineyards next to the cult should be given extra 3 points then? OK, I will adapt this rule for next time I play. :) Thank you all!  :(y)

Offline Whaleyland

• Great Khan
  • Global Moderator
  • Marquis Chevalier
  • Merit: 101
  • Toulouse: Carcassonne's insignificant neighbor.
    • View Profile
    • Derek R. Whaley, PhD | Librarian, Historian, and Writer
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2014, 12:33:29 AM »
Think of the "Cults" not as pagan cults but as Christian heresies, like the Cathars or Arians.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
xx
9th expansion: Vineyards - German Monasteries - Abbeytile...

Started by kettlefish

7 Replies
Last post May 12, 2015, 11:53:56 AM
by petul
question
The Vineyards – Element of the Week #32

Started by Whaleyland

4 Replies
Last post March 01, 2016, 11:46:25 AM
by Christopher