Author Topic: The Plague  (Read 13601 times)

Offline AlbinoAsian

• Count
  • Merit: 19
  • Living like a meeple
    • View Profile
The Plague
« on: August 23, 2013, 09:02:49 AM »
My copy of the plague arrived yesterday. A friend and I play-tested it tonight.

We had one question regarding the rules.

It says the active player can choose at what point during his turn he will move a flea and move a follower away from the flea.
Does this include in between drawing a tile and place a meeple. Is it meant to be this powerful that you can grab your tile, find out its a city cap, use a flee to remove someone from that city, then place a tile to complete a city, place a meeple and score the points.

Is that how the rules should be interpreted? Have any of you used a houserule where you can choose when to do those two things, but if you draw a tile you must place it first?

Linkback: https://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/index.php?topic=400.0
« Last Edit: August 23, 2013, 09:15:05 AM by AlbinoAsian »

Offline obervet

• Authors
  • Count
  • Merit: 36
    • View Profile
Re: The Plague
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2013, 09:43:07 AM »

It says the active player can choose at what point during his turn he will move a flea and move a follower away from the flea.
Does this include in between drawing a tile and place a meeple. Is it meant to be this powerful that you can grab your tile, find out its a city cap, use a flee to remove someone from that city, then place a tile to complete a city, place a meeple and score the points.

Is that how the rules should be interpreted? Have any of you used a houserule where you can choose when to do those two things, but if you draw a tile you must place it first?

An interesting question, and pretty devious. As far as spreading the Plague between the time you draw a tile and the time you place it, I would say that's probably allowed. After all, the base rules state that you should draw a tile, show it to other players for advice, then place it. It's not like the drawing and placement happen simultaneously, so it seems like flea addition could go in between.

However, even if you don't like that interpretation, you can still get the same effects. In AlbinoAsian's example, the active player places the city cap onto a city that had been claimed by an opponent, finishing the city. Before the Move Wood phase, the active player places a flea token, bouncing the opponent's follower. Then on the Move Wood phase, the active player puts a follower on the city cap that he/she just placed, on the now-unclaimed and ready-to-be-scored city. Easy points! Then, after the game, if the opponent was the active player's significant other, the active player will be sleeping on the couch.

Of course, the presumption here is that the opponent's follower was already next to a tile that had an outbreak or a flea token, so the Plague could spread to that follower's tile.

Offline AlbinoAsian

• Count
  • Merit: 19
  • Living like a meeple
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2013, 09:51:42 AM »
Thanks for the clarification :)

I used to feel hard done by that my wife didn't like Carc. Now I count myself lucky that I don't need to worry about hurting her because she won't play Carc with me...ever

Offline Carcking

• Duke Chevalier
  • Merit: 33
  • I call Red!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2013, 06:06:22 PM »
Now I count myself lucky that I don't need to worry about hurting her because she won't play Carc with me...ever

How tragic. This is affecting me not in a good way...
I just drew the perfect tile for my MonKnighThieFarmer!

Offline SRBO

• Chatelain
  • Merit: 40
  • The Robber Dragon King
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2014, 10:32:47 AM »
Hello guys,

I've just the the rules for the first time. (according the CAR) but wow, this is an difficult expansion!

i have no idea how these parts work:

so as i understand, you pull the plague card, then it starts with the "1" outbreak token.

then.. the plague spreads with EVERY next player. the player can choose to put 1 flea token either above, under, left or right from the outbreak token. if a flea token hits a follower. these are "killed"
now. how does this stop?

i understand the flight part.

when another plague starts.. you take plague "2"
from now on players can choose which region they expand.

then comes the eradicating part.. i just don't understand it :( can someone explain it in easy english?

Then about merging regions.
when 1 region is eradicated but a active outbreak hits (a line of) the inactive outbreak. the whole inactive outbreak becomes active? or only the tokens that are next to 1 other token?

so the last region never stops expanding? even when all tokens are played?

Offline jungleboy

• Viscount Chevalier
  • Merit: 89
  • Nine points!
    • View Profile
    • Spirit of the Camino
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2014, 12:28:02 PM »
then.. the plague spreads with EVERY next player. the player can choose to put 1 flea token either above, under, left or right from the outbreak token. if a flea token hits a follower. these are "killed"
now. how does this stop?

It doesn't really stop. The process of placing flea tokens every turn continues until there are no more flea tokens left off the board. Then one of the outbreaks (the one in play with the lowest number) is made inactive, with all the flea tokens turned upside down. Then these tokens are placed as active flea tokens every turn to extend an active outbreak, until there are no more of them left. Then another outbreak is made inactive, and so on.

SRBO: Does that help?
Everyone else: Is what I said actually correct? I've only played with the Plague once!

Offline MrNumbers

• Duke Chevalier
  • Merit: 91
    • View Profile
    • Carcassonne Latvia
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2014, 11:56:50 PM »
Everyone else: Is what I said actually correct?

Yes, you are correct. I can only add, that when the last outbreak is made active and all tokens belong to that outbreak, then next player can choose any token and place it anywhere, adjacent to any other token. If in the result of such placement some tokens became split from the active outbreak, they are turned to their latent side and used in the next moves.
The most annoying thing playing with Plague was situations when one player takes token from the middle of outbreak and we must turn around half of token, but the next player joins them again to the active outbreak and we must turn them all back!
"I never lose. Either I win or I learn." (Nelson Mandela)

Offline SRBO

• Chatelain
  • The Robber Dragon King
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2014, 12:36:53 AM »
So you always have a "line" of tokens just like the monasteries right?

Offline jungleboy

• Viscount Chevalier
  • Merit: 89
  • Nine points!
    • View Profile
    • Spirit of the Camino
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2014, 12:50:50 AM »

No, not always a line. A token can be placed on the next horizontal or vertical tile from any other token in the outbreak. So the outbreak expands the same way that the dragon moves.

Offline SRBO

• Chatelain
  • The Robber Dragon King
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2014, 01:25:24 AM »

No, not always a line. A token can be placed on the next horizontal or vertical tile from any other token in the outbreak. So the outbreak expands the same way that the dragon moves.

Okay! Thank you very much guys,

I think i start to understand this one! :)

Offline Tilemaker

• Vagabond
  • Merit: 0
  • I haven't updated my profile yet!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2016, 01:46:11 PM »
Could someone assist with another question regarding eradicating Plague outbreaks please ? We've had the expansion and played with it for about a year, but still don't fully understand this part of the rules. The question is this:

If the first Outbreak tile is placed and subsequently all 18 flea tokens are placed before the second Outbreak tile emerges, does this Outbreak get eradicated and all the flea tokens turned over (to wait for the next Outbreak tile) or does the Outbreak token get turned over and the fleas remain active ? If they remain active, do subsequent players continue spreading the 18 flea tokens around the game or do they need to remain connected in some way to the now eradicated outbreak ? The 7.4 version of the rules (p177) seem ambiguous.

Many thanks

Offline Halfling

• Chatelain
  • Merit: 49
  • Welcome tournament 2015 winner.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2016, 01:51:42 PM »
There always has to be an active outbreak, so this initial outbreak remains active.  See the Exception in the Wiping out an Outbreak section of the rules from Spielbox magazine.

Once no fleas are left in the supply at the start of a players turn, the Outbreak with the lowest number  is eliminated - that is , it is turned over to show the field.  (Exception: Once the first Plague tile has appeared, there must always be at least one active region, so at least one Outbreak must always be active).
« Last Edit: June 21, 2016, 02:00:09 PM by Halfling »
The Geek shall inherit the earth if we get a good die role

Offline Tilemaker

• Vagabond
  • Merit: 0
  • I haven't updated my profile yet!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2016, 01:57:22 PM »
Thanks so much - and for the pointer to the exception.

So this means that even though the first Outbreak is eradicated the fleas/plague remain active and continues to spread - I assume that it has to remain connected to the now latent Outbreak though ? If that link is severed, do the separated fleas then get turned over ?

Thanks

Offline Halfling

• Chatelain
  • Merit: 49
  • Welcome tournament 2015 winner.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2016, 02:01:45 PM »
The first Outbreak remains active (not turned over).  Only when a second Outbreak has occurred does it become possible to consider making the initial outbreak inactive.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
xx
The plague, inactive plague region

Started by drone2

7 Replies
Last post February 18, 2017, 05:39:12 AM
by asparagus
xx
WTT Die Plague against Cult, siege or creativity

Started by lr

1 Replies
Last post October 06, 2023, 04:51:57 AM