Author Topic: A strange brand of completionism  (Read 3346 times)

Offline CKorfmann

• Authors
  • Count Chevalier
  • Merit: 39
  • Pigs are meeple too.
    • View Profile
A strange brand of completionism
« on: January 27, 2017, 01:21:02 PM »
I am not interested in making the investment in all the new art or Carcassonne.  I guess, at least to me, it really becomes more of a collection than a game at that point, and while I certainly enjoy collecting games and their promos, my main purpose in doing so is to play them. 

I'm weird because while I'm a completionist, there are a few expansions I know I don't need.  Mostly, these are the repeats (I'm looking at you Windroses II).  They aren't necessary.  I have the Siege expansion, so I don't need the Kathers (though it would be nice to have), but I did get Die Belagerer because there are unique tiles in it.  I also don't need things that are terribly gimmicky.  I did buy Klosters and Kloosters, but I don't feel the need to buy German Cathedrals. 

Here's the point.  Convince me why I should or shouldn't get the following expansions:
German Cathedrals
Darmstadt
Russian tiles

What I know I want/need:
Corn Circles I
La Porxada
Labyrinth

Linkback: https://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/index.php?topic=3122.0
Flee the fleas.

Offline jungleboy

• Viscount Chevalier
  • Merit: 89
  • Nine points!
    • View Profile
    • Spirit of the Camino
Re: A strange brand of completionism
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2017, 01:39:46 PM »
Here's the point.  Convince me why I should or shouldn't get the following expansions:

This sounds fun! My two cents:

German Cathedrals

Should: The artwork of actual historical buildings from the 'German' series is very nice in my opinion. The fact that it is a 'full-sized mini-expansion' (if such a thing exists) and not just a promo is also a good reason. Not sure about the gameplay because I haven't played it yet.

Darmstadt

Shouldn't: It's an abomination, adds nothing to the game and is just a silly gimmick. Just my opinion, of course  >:D. I don't own it.

Russian tiles

Either way. The quality of the official tiles is quite poor in my view, and the rounded corners and K on the back don't help. Decar's homemade tiles are actually much better. I don't really consider these official tiles. I have the first two but I won't actively chase the second set.

Offline dirk2112

• Baron
  • Merit: 43
  • Filled with caffeine and hyperbole
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2017, 02:23:02 PM »
German Cathedrals
My wife likes the German Cathedrals for whatever reason.  The rule changes aren't significant, but fun.  They are still available at cundco, so the next time you order something, spend the 5 Euros.  I like the German Castles much more, so if you don't have those, get them both. 

Darmstadt
I have never played with this expansion, but it is way too much $$$   :(n)

Russian tiles
If I can get my hands on these I will.  I don't care much for the rules, but I really like the artwork.  We play with the T&B bag, so the "K" on the back isn't an issue.  Hopefully if HobbyWorld sells them, we can get a bulk order because shipping out of Russia was unbelievable if I remember correctly. 

Offline kettlefish

• Global Moderator
  • Chatelain Officier
  • Merit: 127
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2017, 03:48:21 PM »
German Cathedrals:
This mini expansion is together with the Labyrinth tile the last graphic work from Doris Matthäus. There will be no more landscape tiles in the design from her.

The graphics from the German Cathedrals are very beautiful and I know you have the German Monasteries and De Kloosters also the German Castles - I think to complete this series is to get the last mini expansion: German Cathedrals.

Some of the Cathedrals has been build with great history:  "Karl der Große" - "Aachener Dom"
And the graphics for the "Kölner Dom" are fantastic.

Here is a link to the CundCo Shop which shows the picture of the German Cathedrals.
CundCo - German Cathedrals

Offline CKorfmann

• Authors
  • Count Chevalier
  • Merit: 39
  • Pigs are meeple too.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2017, 06:21:32 PM »
German Cathedrals:
This mini expansion is together with the Labyrinth tile the last graphic work from Doris Matthäus. There will be no more landscape tiles in the design from her.

The graphics from the German Cathedrals are very beautiful and I know you have the German Monasteries and De Kloosters also the German Castles - I think to complete this series is to get the last mini expansion: German Cathedrals.

This seems like the best reason so far.

Offline SRBO

• Chatelain
  • Merit: 40
  • The Robber Dragon King
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2017, 10:58:01 AM »
German Cathedrals
Darmstadt
Russian tiles

What I know I want/need:
Corn Circles I
La Porxada
Labyrinth

German Cathedrals, they are really nice in every aspect, unique mechanism, nice artwork, and just like kettlefish said, the last graphic from Doris.
Darmstadt. If you got everything. just get this one also.. the tiles aren't that great, the scoring is boring. but it's an official expansion.
Russian tiles. Just don't, the back is different and in my opinion not official.

La porxada is impossible to get, it's unofficial. Only a print to play tile. So you either need to make it yourself or let someone make it for you..

Offline Decar

• Owner
  • Chatelain Grand Officier
  • Merit: 317
  • Shut up and take my money!
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2017, 02:27:02 PM »
Darmstadt
Shouldn't - it's out of print and very expensive when available on ebay.

Russian tiles
Should - the art work is great and give a folkie feel; the mechanics are quirky, but interesting.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
clip
WTS Brand New Carcassonne Mini Expansions (German/Dutch/English)

Started by The-Edge

5 Replies
Last post May 18, 2021, 03:45:09 PM
by Allograft
xx
Big Box 7: A brand new Big Box with an already long history?!

Started by Willem

4 Replies
Last post January 18, 2022, 11:49:15 AM
by Meepledrone
clip
Misprints or strange expansions

Started by The-Edge

4 Replies
Last post October 10, 2021, 11:04:07 AM
by The-Edge
thumbup
9 Strange Uses for Beer