Author Topic: 150 Points?  (Read 14151 times)

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
  • Merit: 293
  • "First to 4 points wins?"
    • View Profile
150 Points?
« on: January 06, 2014, 09:11:13 AM »
I downloaded the Carcassonne app for Android recently and have been working my way through the list of "Achievements" which form a kind of career mode of sorts. Some of them are very simple and can be won almost straight away whereas others such as accumulating 20,000 points or winning 500 games are simply a matter of time. The one I've been struggling with though is scoring 150 points or more in a single game. This seems like a lot to me so I'm interested to know what others would consider to be a good score for a standard 72-tile game for two players?

I've come close enough to 150 to know it's achievable but it does seem to depend on at least one valuable farm combined with probably four or five cloisters and good use of roads. Does anybody here regularly go three or more times round the scoretrack when they play? If so, what's your best advice for a high-scoring game?

Linkback: https://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/index.php?topic=574.0

Offline Paul

• Marquis Chevalier
  • Merit: 86
    • View Profile
    • sydby.com
Re: 150 Points?
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2014, 10:33:58 AM »
In a two-player game it's not that hard. As you are facing an AI opponent (artifical intelligence) you can deploy some tricks that will get you a lot of points.

One major tip, and probably only one needed, be cruel. Once you know what tile combinations there are (and you can see remainder tile list with one button as well) you can trap opponents meeples so they can't score and be returned.
  The program will always deploy it's meeples and when it has none left to deploy and all are stuck, you then have the entire board for yourself and simply score here and there until game ends.
  The AI often goes for a farm or two early on so you can try trap those as well.

Hope it helps!  :meeple:

Some of the achievements I myself do not yet understand (bugged?).

One is to deploy all your followers and then regain them all again. I tried variations and none of them worked. I even managed to put all my meeples into one giant city and score them all back and did not get it.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2014, 10:51:01 AM by Yellow, Reason: Spelling correction. »
World record holder for a single game of Carcassonne using 10 007 tiles!

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2014, 02:26:32 AM »
Hi Yellow, thanks for the tips!

I must disagree with you on one point though, as my experience of the AI opponents within the Carcassonne app leads me to believe that AI actually stands for "Actual Idiots". The fact that they place meeples whenever they're able to seems like a major flaw to me, especially since they often end up trapping themselves in the process. They're far too eager to farm as well (in my opinion) and have usually run out of meeples by the end of the first third of the game! This said, it took me a while to get the award for winning five games in a row against three or more opponents so I probably shouldn't criticise too much...

The award you're talking about where you have to deploy everyone and then get them all back again confused me a little too, but I got it on my second or third attempt. I placed my meeples in different features as quickly as possible without scoring any of them until all seven were down. Then I started completing those features and didn't place anyone again until I'd got them all back (not even on short roads or 4-point cities etc where you get them back again straight away). I guess you've probably tried this, but it seemed to do the trick for me.

When I asked about whether people thought 150 points was a high score I wasn't talking specifically about the app though, I meant for Carcassonne in general. My wife and I had a game last night and I won 120 vs 100 (one of my better games as she's normally very difficult to beat). I felt that I'd been quite lucky with the tiles I'd drawn and yet I still only scored 120 from them so an extra 30 points (to reach 150) would have felt like a big ask!

Offline Paul

• Marquis Chevalier
    • View Profile
    • sydby.com
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2014, 08:55:40 AM »
I haven't tried that, for the deploy all seven and regain them again achievement. But I will! Thank you.

The basegame for Carcassonne actual boardgame is quite challenging to score a lot. In a three player game, it's amazing if anyone even scores 50 before the farm recount. We are quite competitive, might explain this.

We do not play basic games these days, not even with new players. We add Traders and Builders because it's such an easy expansion to learn. With it an average score is around 90.

:meeple:

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2014, 09:43:11 AM »
I agree with your thoughts on the basic game. With two young children at home it's difficult to find the time to play games, so if my wife and I are going to play Carcassonne then I usually want to make the most of it by throwing in at least Inns & Cathedrals, preferably Traders & Builders and River 1/ 2 too. This is why I tend to play far more Carcassonne either on Facebook or now via the Carcassonne app (albeit against computer opponents) as I can play pretty much whenever I like.

Good luck with the "Together Again" achievement. I'm sure you'll crack it. I managed to complete the "Conqueror" achievement this morning with a score of 157 points so thanks for your tips!

Offline Paul

• Marquis Chevalier
    • View Profile
    • sydby.com
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2014, 01:36:52 PM »
Just to let you guys know I finally got the Together Again achievement on the Carcassonne mobile app.  8)

I believe it has to do with that you need to deploy all your followers the first seven turns which was the only time I managed to trigger it. Midgame, that's when the achievement popped up after I completed a feature.

On another note, there are two achievements that has stopped progressing. Those are win amount of games and score amount of points. These does not seem to count if you are not playing a four player game.

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2014, 08:59:32 AM »
Well done!

It sounds as though the two you have left were the last two awards that I ended up going for too. "Top-Notch" is the one where you have to reach a total score of 20,000 or more. I've got this now but it took 180 games or so and I've now reached 54,688! "No-Mercy" is the other one but this requires winning 500 games against at least one AI opponent. I always play against a single AI opponent which I have on random and I've worked out that I lose roughly 1 in 12 games. I've won 453 games so far so hopefully it shouldn't be long before I clock this one too. Maybe another couple of weeks.

I don't know what I'll do once I've won this award. Get a life hopefully.

Offline Paul

• Marquis Chevalier
    • View Profile
    • sydby.com
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2014, 11:55:31 AM »
I don't know what I'll do once I've won this award. Get a life hopefully.

You can always set your own achievements, like trying to make the largest city possible or overcome the last biggest city done.  O0

Then there are some fun challenges like having all 7 followers next to one another in a straight line, horizontal, vertical or diagonal.  ^-^

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2014, 03:30:11 PM »
I finally won the "No Mercy" award (image attached) after about 4 months and a combined score of 60,119. I'm glad to say that that's all of the achievements now.

This can only be good news for the battery life of my phone!

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
xx
150-200 points

Started by aenima

8 Replies
Last post October 22, 2014, 10:35:41 PM
by danisthirty
smiley
Triple points for 3 robbers on one road?

Started by ghomeztown

1 Replies
Last post March 01, 2014, 10:34:36 PM
by Fritz_Spinne
xx
Fairy points

Started by Tani Mai

2 Replies
Last post November 13, 2014, 01:58:08 AM
by Tani Mai
xx
Question about messages and negative points

Started by corinthiens13

80 Replies
Last post October 04, 2021, 07:55:55 AM
by Meepledrone
xx
Can you get Message when you get negative points?

Started by Bumsakalaka

8 Replies
Last post August 14, 2022, 10:49:21 PM
by Scott