Author Topic: WikiCarpedia: Official Updates  (Read 48782 times)

Offline Maj. Frost

• Nobleman
  • Merit: 12
  • Sit down and play
    • View Profile
    • My Carcassonne Blog
WikiCarpedia: Official Updates
« on: November 02, 2018, 02:26:30 AM »
Greetings from WICA team!
We have been working on WikiCarpedia for two months now, I decided it is good moment to post some update.
During those days we have been establishing many guidelines for WICA to be clear and consistent. We are in pretty constant communications on Slack channel. Supporting, advising and mocking each other.

http://www.wikicarpedia.com

Just a few notes:
  • English SAFARI rules are in place:
    http://wikicarpedia.com/index.php/Safari
  • C1 part is finished in terms of rules, we are polishing it now and addressing references. You can find all official C1 expansions up to date. There are also rules for some C2 bits.
  • You can find cool timeline here:
    http://wikicarpedia.com/index.php/Timeline
  • We have finally found a solution to export whole (or part) of WICA to pdf, to create a document similar in nature to CAR. Expect some update about that once we finish C1 part.

As always we welcome any new editors/translators with open arms. Even you have no time for that, you can still help by simply using WICA and commenting with “Add comment” button that is on the bottom of each page. Also please spread the new among non-CarC friends.

Big thanks to Wolnic, Sinscerly, MeepleDrone and Decar for their participation and devotion to the project!

Any remarks are welcomed.

Linkback: https://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/index.php?topic=4115.0
« Last Edit: January 28, 2022, 02:47:33 PM by Scott »

Offline totor66

• Count
  • Merit: 18
  • Carcassonne semi completionnist
    • View Profile
Re: WikiCarpedia update
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2018, 04:02:20 AM »
Looks like a fantastic job, thumbs up !  :(y)

I can't seem to evaluate the job it would take to translate it in FR, but I guess I would help if it comes to that

What would be the way to export to PDF ? I thought I would be clever enough to figure it out myself but ...
Carcassonne Fan since 2014

Offline Maj. Frost

• Nobleman
  • Sit down and play
    • View Profile
    • My Carcassonne Blog
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2018, 06:17:29 AM »
Looks like a fantastic job, thumbs up !  :(y)

I can't seem to evaluate the job it would take to translate it in FR, but I guess I would help if it comes to that

What would be the way to export to PDF ? I thought I would be clever enough to figure it out myself but ...

Thank you. Saving to pdf single page is no problem. With simple printing tools that every browser has. The problems starts when you try to export many pages at once and add TOC with pages (and some other stuff).

Offline aenima

• Viscount
  • Merit: 37
  • !!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2018, 10:46:31 AM »
Really a good work

Offline cidervampire

• Vassal
  • Merit: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2018, 02:21:28 PM »
Spotted an obscure expansion missing on the list, the winter scoreboard for 2nd edition!
« Last Edit: November 03, 2018, 02:27:23 PM by cidervampire »

Offline Meepledrone

• Owner
  • Chatelain Grand Officier
  • Merit: 456
  • It is full of... Meeples!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2018, 03:40:58 PM »
Spotted an obscure expansion missing on the list, the winter scoreboard for 2nd edition!

We've been discussing for weeks how to deal with this jewel. We'll keep you posted when we reach a conclusion  ;)

Thanks for the heads-up.
Questions about rules? Check WICA: wikicarpedia.com

Offline Meepledrone

• Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2018, 05:06:45 PM »
Hi all,

I wanted to share with you one of the features you'll find at Wikicarpedia (http://wikicarpedia.com/index.php/) and that we hope that will help you survive in the Carcassonne world so full of expansions: the Game Reference (http://wikicarpedia.com/index.php/Game_Reference).

It allows you to select expansions (fully or partially) from three editions of Carcassonne: the 1st Edition, the new Edition and the Winter Edition. Once you make your pick, the Game Reference sections update automatically so you get an adapted Carcassone Reference Guide to meet your needs. The Game Reference includes:
  • A Game Reference summary
  • A detailed description of the Preparation phase
  • A detailed description of the Final Scoring phase
  • A detailed description of the Order of Play to be used in several phases during the game: the River Rounds, the normal Game Rounds and the Extra Abbey Round
  • A detailed summary of the Scoring During the Game, applicable to the Order of Play rounds
  • A detailed summary of the Scoring After the Game, applicable to Final Scoring phase

Besides selecting expansions, you can also find other features such as:
  • Filtering out the expansions of a particular Carcassonne edition you may be not interested in.
  • Select expansions belonging to a particular Big Box, for example.
  • Clearing your selection or selecting all the visible expansions with just one click
  • Deciding what edition rules and graphics (if available) you want to see, that is, your preferred edition.
  • Highlighting all the rules that belong to other editions than the preferred one.
The Game Reference page relies on the Expansion Selector at the very top that is organized in several tabs:
  • "Expansions" tabs: The first three tabs from the left allow you to pick expansions in full or partially when possible:
    • Tab "Major expansions": lists all official major expansions by HiG.
    • Tab "Minor expansions": lists all official minor expansions by HiG and some of their licensed equivalents.
    • Tab "Other expansions": lists the rest of licensed expansions as well as some unofficial ones.[/li}
  • Tab "Quick Selectors": allows you to choose from a predefined list of available expansions sets.
  • Tab "Filters": allows you to choose what Carcassonne editions are displayed and your preferred edition. It also allows you to activate the highlighting feature.
  • Tab "?": provides a short user guide.
I invite to try it and share your comments. Thank you in advance.

Cheers!

Offline Whaleyland

• Great Khan
  • Global Moderator
  • Marquis Chevalier
  • Merit: 101
  • Toulouse: Carcassonne's insignificant neighbor.
    • View Profile
    • Derek R. Whaley, PhD | Librarian, Historian, and Writer
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2018, 11:49:58 PM »
I'm not able to get the Game References selection to work. Everything just says "Transmogrifying...". I'm running Safari 12.0.2 (latest edition).

Also, the home page says "First Edition rules" but that isn't accurate. The First edition only refers to the original game and, specifically, the original rules for Farming. I am not sure if you have the original Farming rules anywhere (you definitely should, if not) but I'd use some other term than "First edition" to refer to the older art. Perhaps "First Generation", "Doris Mätthaus Edition", or "Mätthaus Art Edition"

Offline Meepledrone

• Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2018, 03:13:07 AM »
I'm not able to get the Game References selection to work. Everything just says "Transmogrifying...". I'm running Safari 12.0.2 (latest edition).

I'm using Safari 10.1.2 on Mac. This is probably your browser cache that needs to be refreshed. Hold Shift while clicking Reload, or press either Ctrl-F5 or Ctrl-R (⌘-R on a Mac). Let me know if this woks for you.

Also, the home page says "First Edition rules" but that isn't accurate. The First edition only refers to the original game and, specifically, the original rules for Farming. I am not sure if you have the original Farming rules anywhere (you definitely should, if not) but I'd use some other term than "First edition" to refer to the older art. Perhaps "First Generation", "Doris Mätthaus Edition", or "Mätthaus Art Edition"

Good point! In the Carcassonne world, as you mentioned, the word "edition" has multiple meanings depending on the context:
  • 1st Edition, 2nd Edition and 3rd Edition refer to the different versions of scoring rules for two-tile cities and farms.
  • New Edition refers to new-artwork Carcassonne, New Carcassonne, Carcassonne 2.0, Carcassonne II, or CII for short
This leaves a gap regarding how to refer to Carcassonne I, so to speak. We tried to avoid the term "Old Edition", in contrast to "New Edition", as we assumed that HiG could surprise us with a "New New Edition" some day. So we opted to refer to Carcassonne I as "First Edition", so the current "New Edition" could become "Second Edition" eventually, and so on and so forth.

For the same reasons, we avoided talking about "old artwork" and "new artwork", so we never have to face an "old new artwork" situation.

So this is the rationale behind the naming convention. In any case, I shared your remarks with the whole team to open a discussion.

Regarding the three editions of scoring rules, we haven't included them yet, but it will happen soon.

Thanks for your comments.

Cheers!

« Last Edit: December 16, 2018, 03:26:42 AM by Meepledrone »

Offline Meepledrone

• Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2018, 04:16:49 PM »

Hi cidervampire,

I finally added this variant to the Wikicarpedia Variants page, completing the info and rewording a bit the rules too.

http://wikicarpedia.com/index.php/Variants

Thank you for your support and help.

Hope you enjoy it!

Offline Maj. Frost

• Nobleman
  • Sit down and play
    • View Profile
    • My Carcassonne Blog
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2019, 03:16:45 AM »
Short announcement

Up to this point I was the only one holding the keys  to WICA.

Today domain and hosting have been transferred to new home in GoDaddy cloud hosting. Access credentials will be hold by four of its admins.

This is to secure continuity of service in case of unexpected events.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2019, 03:20:19 AM by Maj. Frost »

Offline Meepledrone

• Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2019, 05:18:41 PM »
Hi all!!

The WICA reference pages have been updated for the the following Carcassonne editions: the old edition, the new edition and the Winter edition.

On the main page (http://wikicarpedia.com) and the Winter Edition hub (http://wikicarpedia.com/index.php/Winter_Edition), you'll find new entries covering:
  • Game Reference: A description of the game structure organized in phases according to the expansion selected
  • Order of Play: A detailed description of the player's turn according to the selected expanions
  • Scoring During the Game: A summary of all features and events that can be scored during the game according to the selected expansions
  • Scoring After the Game: A summary of all features and events that can be scored at the end of the game according to the selected expansions
  • Game Figures: A detail summary covering all the figures according to the selected expansions
All these entries benefit from a Expansion Selector located at the top of each page. It allows you to select full expansions or just parts of them in order to configure the game reference pages according to your preferences and needs, even combining elements from different editions as required. Adaptations between editions can be highlighted as a visual aid.

Additionally, two more pages are available for the old edition:
  • Summary of Rule Sets & Changes
  • Scoring: A Historical Perspective
All your feedback is welcome.

More to come soon...

Cheers!

Offline Meepledrone

• Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2019, 12:00:17 PM »
Hi all!

After a brief hiatus while collaborating with some noble members of this awesome forum, I stop by to introduce some new reference pages added to WICA recently.

For C1 only (source material from the CAR almost unchanged):

* Scoring: A Historical Perspective

For C1 & C2 (source material from the CAR for C1 extended and updated to cover C2):

* Summary of Rule Sets and Changes
* Mega-Carcassonne

All your comments are more than welcome. If I missed something, please let me know. Thank you so much in advance.

Enjoy!

Offline Meepledrone

• Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2019, 01:03:21 PM »
Hi all,

Now WikiCarpedia (WICA) is featured on the CarcC front page. This easy access will allow you to access the rules for any expansion, updated with the latest clarifications. All the rules for Carcassonne I and Carcassonne II are available. More to come soon.

As a bonus, you can check the Quizzes page that will help you access various scoring quizzes to test your knowledge of the interactions of several expansions. Pay attention to the details. Will you be able to get the right answer on the first try?

http://wikicarpedia.com/index.php/Quizzes

Hope you enjoy it.

If you would have any ideas for additional for additional quizzes, please let me know. Thank you in advance.

Cheers!

Offline Meepledrone

• Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2019, 06:01:31 PM »
Hi all,

WikiCarpedia (WICA) was updated to include the most recent additions to Carcassonne from Essen 2019:

* The Spiel 19 tile (along with the previous Spiel tiles)

http://wikicarpedia.com/index.php/Spiel_Promos

* The Tollkeepers:

http://wikicarpedia.com/index.php/The_Tollkeepers

* The new Carcassonne Maps rules and all the Map-Chips rules

http://wikicarpedia.com/index.php/Carcassonne_Maps

Notes:

For the time being, both the German and English rules in PDF format available on Cundco.de contain several mistakes: mistranslations and mismatches between both languages, missing rules in English, errors in images in both versions,... A total delight!

The corresponding WICA pages provide a reviewed version of the text and corrects those images with errors, The text was reviewed in order to provide an align set of rules using the German version as a guideline, when possible, in case of mismatch.

I also sent HiG a 7-page document with comments covering the mistakes I found and a few clarification questions. As soon as they reply and/or provide updated rules on Cundco, I will update the Carcassonne Maps and Map-Chips pages accordingly.

Cheers!

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
xx
WICA needs updates (Exp. 11, The Bets and others)

Started by NGC 54

9 Replies
Last post February 19, 2023, 01:46:24 AM
by Meepledrone
xx
JCloisterZone Updates

Started by rfielder

9 Replies
Last post June 23, 2014, 05:50:34 AM
by rfielder
question
WikiCarpedia or Wikicarpedia?