Author Topic: Axis & Allies Europe game session  (Read 2334 times)

Offline Paul

• Marquis Chevalier
  • Merit: 86
    • View Profile
    • sydby.com
Axis & Allies Europe game session
« on: January 01, 2016, 03:45:54 PM »
Today, January 1st, some of us hit the new year of 2016 head on with the toughest thing we knew in the world of board games: Axis & Allies Europe edition.

It took us little over 2 hours to set up the game, including reading the rules!  :-X

What really baffles you is the very first turn that Germany does, for us that never played it before. It managed to conquer vast amount of areas and the turn was over after like an 1 hour.  :))

I was Great Britain myself and tried to survive German submarines wreaking havoc. Eventually I ended up with just building Fighters and Bombers allied with United States Bombers to give support to Russia that was marching troops on land.
  I think the Allies had a good chance of winning. Maybe 3-4 turns but that would have taken us like another hour to play.  :@

Unfortunately we had to abort the game as it was getting late. We started prepping the game at 3:30 pm and then played from 6 pm - 11:30 pm.

Linkback: https://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/index.php?topic=2290.0
World record holder for a single game of Carcassonne using 10 007 tiles!

Offline Decar

• Owner
  • Chatelain Grand Officier
  • Merit: 317
  • Shut up and take my money!
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net
Re: Axis & Allies Europe game session
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2016, 02:08:32 AM »
Sounds like you were following ww2 events pretty closely.  I quite like it when games follow real events/battles and they force you to make the same decisions in order to win.  It means you can attempt to explore alternative strategies and get an idea how successful they might have been.

I like the photo. All those pointing fingers, really does reinforce how complicated it all looked!

Offline Whaleyland

• Great Khan
  • Global Moderator
  • Marquis Chevalier
  • Merit: 101
  • Toulouse: Carcassonne's insignificant neighbor.
    • View Profile
    • Derek R. Whaley, PhD | Librarian, Historian, and Writer
Re: Axis & Allies Europe game session
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2016, 04:18:01 PM »
Rule #1 of Axis & Allies: You never finish the game.
Rule #2: You REALLY never finish the game.

Literally, I have played this game about six times over the years and I've never finished it once. I've played the original Avalon Hill version, the original Europe, the anniversary edition, the original Pacific, the new world map, and the combined new Europe & Pacific maps. The game takes forever! Last time we played, we literally were playing a game of Catan on the side because each turn took so long. I love the idea and the complexity, but the game just isn't fun in the long run. I much prefer 1-2 hour games that eventually end.

That all being said, I totally destroyed Russia using Italian forces in the combined Europe-Pacific map. It was amazing. I snuck through the Middle East and just rallied them. Silly Russians.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
clip
Mega Civilization (Advanced Civilization) 9 player game session.

Started by Paul

4 Replies
Last post June 18, 2016, 10:07:47 PM
by franks
xx
7 player session

Started by Carcking

6 Replies
Last post May 17, 2014, 08:41:26 PM
by Carcking
xx
Monday Session with TOWER NCV (NOW WITH PICS)

Started by Big Guy

5 Replies
Last post May 09, 2013, 02:29:59 PM
by Carcking
clip
Valheru's session reports

Started by Valheru

1 Replies
Last post February 25, 2016, 03:50:59 PM
by danisthirty
xx
My first Discovery session