Author Topic: Carcassonne tournament in Barcelona - 12/12/2015  (Read 9863 times)

Offline jungleboy

• Viscount Chevalier
  • Merit: 89
  • Nine points!
    • View Profile
    • Spirit of the Camino
Re: Carcassonne tournament in Barcelona - 12/12/2015
« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2015, 05:09:16 AM »
Just one last comment if I may, since it's been a while since I've complained about Carcassonne II.

The publishing of a new edition really has caused nothing but problems for the Carcassonne community, and that was never more evident for me than during this tournament. We played with the old artwork of course, because that's what everyone loves and because playing with the new artwork would mean we would have to introduce gardens (which strike me as a basically pointless element anyway). The promotional prize everyone received for participating (the Cundco halflings) was also in the old artwork. But if you wanted to buy the game at the festival shop, the only choice was the new artwork. Having these two versions of the game both in use at the same time is silly, and the tacit acknowledgement by publishers that the new artwork is unsuitable or unworthy for tournament play just adds to the confusion as to why this is otherwise being promoted so strongly at the expense of everyone's beloved old artwork.

I just think that this whole thing has unnecessarily divided the Carcassonne community, and I think that would still be true even if the new artwork were good, which of course it isn't (IMO).

Offline kettlefish

• Global Moderator
  • Chatelain Officier
  • Merit: 127
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2015, 01:20:41 AM »
Hi jungleboy,
thank you for this great report of this tournament.

It is interesting, that the Spanish tournament still uses the beloved Carcassonne graphics from Doris Matthäus.

The Carcassonne World-Cup 2015 used the Carcassonne II with the new graphic style.
It was played without the rules from the gardens and the Abbot figure. But the farmer rules were included.

Offline jungleboy

• Viscount Chevalier
  • Nine points!
    • View Profile
    • Spirit of the Camino
« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2015, 02:24:12 AM »
Thanks kettlefish.

The Carcassonne World-Cup 2015 used the Carcassonne II with the new graphic style.
It was played without the rules from the gardens and the Abbot figure. But the farmer rules were included.

What are the different farmer rules?

Offline Fritz_Spinne

• Authors
  • Viscount
  • Merit: 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2015, 08:42:33 AM »
The farmer rules of Carcassonne II are the same as in the last editions of Carcasssonne I, but in the rules they seem to be an extra- or expansion-rule for the game which is explained without any farmer rule.

Offline jungleboy

• Viscount Chevalier
  • Nine points!
    • View Profile
    • Spirit of the Camino
« Reply #19 on: December 22, 2015, 05:29:56 AM »
The farmer rules of Carcassonne II are the same as in the last editions of Carcasssonne I, but in the rules they seem to be an extra- or expansion-rule for the game which is explained without any farmer rule.

Do you mean that they give you the option of not playing with farmers at all?

Offline Fritz_Spinne

• Authors
  • Viscount
  • Merit: 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 22, 2015, 05:48:00 AM »

Do you mean that they give you the option of not playing with farmers at all?

Yes, they recommend it for the first games.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
clip
Surprise Carcassonne tournament in Barcelona today

Started by jungleboy

11 Replies
Last post December 21, 2014, 12:19:11 PM
by jungleboy
xx
[LV] Carcassonne mini-tournament 2015

Started by MrNumbers

15 Replies
Last post March 03, 2015, 11:25:48 PM