Poll

How do you primarily use Solovei Razboynik and Vodyanoy?

Whenever I draw one of these tiles, I place them where they can cause the most damage to my opponents.
I use them to block other players from developing or claiming specific features.
I use Solovei Razboynik to retrieve a Follower from an undesirable Road.
I use it in some other creatively strategic manner (describe below).
I don't ever play with or do not use Solovei Razboynik and Vodyanoy.

Author Topic: Element of the Week #59 – Solovei Razboynik and Vodyanoy  (Read 3805 times)

Offline Whaleyland

• Great Khan
  • Global Moderator
  • Marquis Chevalier
  • Merit: 101
  • Toulouse: Carcassonne's insignificant neighbor.
    • View Profile
    • Derek R. Whaley, PhD | Librarian, Historian, and Writer
ELEMENT OF THE WEEK: SOLOVEI RAZBOYNIK & VODYANOY

Each week, a specific element from an expansion or spin-off is chosen for deeper discussion. This is an opportunity for you, Carcassonne's biggest English-language fans, to discuss strategies and problems you have encountered through the years regarding specific expansion elements. All forms of critique – from the most joyous to the most scathing – are encouraged.

This week's element is SOLOVEI RAZBOYNIK & VODYANOY. In the word of the weird, most gamers did not expect a Russian Carcassonne distributor to double as an expansion designer, but with Solovei Razboynik and Vodyanoy, they have now released two (okay, "officially" one) expansion that is entirely unique to Hobby World. These are in fact two separate elements, but for the sake of avoiding confusion, they are discussed together. Whenever a player finds their Follower on a Road connected to the Solovei Razboynik (the tree) tile, they must move their Follower to the tree. As an action on a later turn, a player may return a Follower from the tree rather than "move wood". Thus Solovei Razboynik acts as a meeple magnet, and is definitely more of a weapon than your usual tile. Similarly, when a player places the Vodyanoy (the lake) tile, all Followers on the eight adjacent tiles are pulled into the lake permanently until the end of the game. Just to make things worse: each Follower earns -2 points at game end. Trust the Russians to remind us of the brutality of life.

Clearly these are aggressive tiles unlike any others in Carcassonne. The fact that they are also one-shot tiles means that luck is everything with them – once a tile is out, nobody else will get that advantage. But could they serve other purposes too? Could they be used to block people from claiming advantageous features? These are mean tiles, but also strategic tiles.

Discuss your relationship with The Solovei Razboynik and Vodyanoy, as well as your strategies for taking advantage of this element.

Next Week's Topic: The Acrobats   :@   ;)

Linkback: https://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/index.php?topic=3315.0

Offline Valheru

• Marquis
  • Merit: 19
  • More tiles, less rules!
    • View Profile
Re: Element of the Week #59 – Solovei Razboynik and Vodyanoy
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2017, 10:37:56 AM »
I choose 'other' ;)

I have them because I think they are beautiful. Still need to play with them tho. I'd use the official rules.

"In his house at R'lyeh, dead Cthulhu waits dreaming..."

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
xx
Russian Promos Vodyanoy and Solovei Razboynik in JCloisterZone 5.5.0

Started by Bumsakalaka

0 Replies
Last post February 21, 2021, 03:31:23 AM
by Bumsakalaka
xx
WTS LATEST RUSSIAN PROMOS (Solovei Razboynik & Vodyanoy)

Started by DavidY

16 Replies
Last post July 02, 2018, 09:25:07 AM
by asp204
lamp
WTS: Russian promo tiles Vodyanoy and Solovei razboinic

Started by Push

8 Replies
Last post November 23, 2017, 04:40:58 AM
by danisthirty
xx
Russian Solovei Razboynik (Tree) question.

Started by Drodo

37 Replies
Last post July 11, 2020, 09:41:31 AM
by Meepledrone
xx
Castles - Element of the Weak (unofficial Element of the Week)

Started by Gerry

2 Replies
Last post December 29, 2014, 01:37:18 AM
by danisthirty