Author Topic: Ha ha ha  (Read 3714 times)

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
  • Merit: 293
  • "First to 4 points wins?"
    • View Profile
Ha ha ha
« on: March 21, 2015, 04:16:25 AM »
 >:D

Although it's obviously possible, I always wondered how easy it would be to capture all of my opponent's followers using The Tower. Answer: certainly not that difficult against an AI opponent!

I didn't place any meeples unless they could be scored immediately as I didn't want any of mine getting kidnapped and having to ransom one of my opponent's back. Plus, with just the basic game and The Tower, the percentage of tiles with tower foundations on them is pretty high (20% I think) which provided me with plenty of opportunities to capture the Red meeples.

Anyway, I had managed to capture all 7 Red meeples with 50 tiles to go and so spent the rest of the game building things but not claiming them until they could be closed with the tile I was about to play. The AI opponent couldn't really do anything against this, but it did at least realise when I trapped 2 of his meeples adjacent to a tower and captured them back for himself before I'd got to them.

The end result is that I finished the game with all the meeples and now the AI refuses to play against me...

Linkback: https://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/index.php?topic=1629.0
« Last Edit: October 24, 2017, 02:30:40 PM by danisthirty »

Offline Rosco

• Duke Chevalier
  • Merit: 41
  • Racing, and playing hard!
    • View Profile
Re: Ha ha ha
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2015, 05:12:52 AM »
Hahaha that is brilliant
Just lay the damn tile!

Offline SRBO

• Chatelain
  • Merit: 40
  • The Robber Dragon King
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2015, 05:31:09 AM »
That is a really weird strategy! Im want to try it on a real opponent

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2015, 05:38:41 AM »
That is a really weird strategy! Im want to try it on a real opponent

I'm not sure how well a real-life opponent would take the bait. I imagine most human players would see what you were trying to do and adjust their strategy to be much more defensive (something the AI opponent doesn't do well) so you wouldn't get away with for long unless they were very new to The Tower. Also, it's worth remembering that you can pay a points ransom to get a meeple back which is, I think, 3 points. I don't know if you can actually do this through JCZ, but if you can I've never known anyone do it...

Offline Chooselife

• Viscount
  • Merit: 25
  • Just Ask
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2015, 05:43:21 AM »
Skynet will chase you first  8)
We few, we happy few, we band of brothers; For he today that sheds his blood with me, Shall be my brother;

Offline Leven

• Viscount
  • Merit: 49
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2015, 07:00:56 AM »
Also, it's worth remembering that you can pay a points ransom to get a meeple back which is, I think, 3 points. I don't know if you can actually do this through JCZ, but if you can I've never known anyone do it...

Yes, you can: just click on the prisoner, and JCZ will ask you if you would like to pay those 3 points as ransom.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2015, 07:10:17 AM by Leven »

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2015, 07:09:31 AM »
Also, it's worth remembering that you can pay a points ransom to get a meeple back which is, I think, 3 points. I don't know if you can actually do this through JCZ, but if you can I've never known anyone do it...

Yes, you can: just click on the prisoner, and JCZ will ask you if you would like to pay those 3-point as ransom.

Thanks Leven, I only just spotted that this morning. The AI never buys its own meeples back, but I suppose if you could get all 7 before it had scored 3 points it wouldn't be able to anyway!

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter