Author Topic: Carcassonne Travel Set  (Read 22295 times)

Offline jungleboy

• Viscount Chevalier
  • Merit: 89
  • Nine points!
    • View Profile
    • Spirit of the Camino
Re: Carcassonne Travel Set
« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2015, 02:15:11 PM »
I think you meant to say: "I have to decide if a travel set is a luxury I can afford to NOT bring with me!"  ;)

Unfortunately my wife doesn't play, so if I took a travel set on the road with me I would just end up playing solitaire with it and perhaps a very occasional game with a random traveller.

Any thoughts on vertical height? I dont really want to tile to drop when I turn the box over.  I feel like the trays need a snug lid, but still suitable for the dividers.

Well if the existing dividers are used, then a snug lid isn't rally possible because the dividers are taller than the tiles. So a lid that fits the dividers will still have some space for the tiles to move around if the box is turned over. Maybe no dividers or a minimalist divider solution is the answer for the travel set.

Offline quevy

• Duke Chevalier
  • Merit: 105
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2015, 02:26:27 PM »
Very beautiful box, every time I see one I want to buy it.

I was thinking that I could create a set with all the expansions using these to save space and to buy mini meeple meeplesource and make other followers mini laser cut, a lot of work, but I could have it all, even when I'm around.

http://www.spielematerial.de/en/square-30x30-mm.html
A knight is sworn to valour.
His heart knows only virtue.
His blade defends the helpless.
His might upholds the weak.
His word speaks only truth.
His wrath undoes the wicked.

:white-meeple: My works.

Offline Decar

• Owner
  • Chatelain Grand Officier
  • Merit: 317
  • Shut up and take my money!
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net
« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2015, 09:51:09 AM »
What do we think of this?

A significant change in the inner layout, making it a bit tighter; less tiles but home for a phantom.

I think I need to know how many tiles it can fit.  A tray does about 90.  So I doubt it will cross over 100.

Offline jungleboy

• Viscount Chevalier
  • Nine points!
    • View Profile
    • Spirit of the Camino
« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2015, 05:41:46 AM »
I like that it's tighter but there's less flexibility than the first design. For me, the issue is one of tiles vs wood. In my original post in this thread I said that I would prefer more tiles and less wood, but I can see how others might have a different opinion.

So this is my suggestion: remove the box on the front right. Replace it with another box that is the same as the front middle one. Make the front left box larger to make up the difference. That way, you can choose either tiles or wood for the front right box, which means you can better customize it to your wishes.

Offline Decar

• Owner
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net
« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2015, 02:05:46 PM »
They had a think and met us in the middle.  2 Normal sized trays + a small inner insert that can be used to divide and store meeple.

I also asked for a photo showing the tile tower in situ.  The Tile Bag holds all TnB expansion:

Offline quevy

• Duke Chevalier
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 31, 2015, 12:44:08 PM »
This may sound incredible, before leaving for the holidays I have prepared my set and I when I left I forgot at home.  :'( :'( :'(

Offline SRBO

• Chatelain
  • Merit: 40
  • The Robber Dragon King
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 31, 2015, 01:27:54 PM »
This may sound incredible, before leaving for the holidays I have prepared my set and I when I left I forgot at home.  :'( :'( :'(

Is it bad if this made me laugh?:P

Intressting post! I don't know yett, i Guess i will take

(72) Base game
(8 ) The goldmines
(2) The school
(8 ) The Flier
(6) The besiegers
(4) Abbey's ( only 4 cause we never play with more)

and ofcourse 4x8 meeples, 4xbuilders, 4x big guy and 4 pigs
« Last Edit: August 31, 2015, 01:29:20 PM by danisthirty »

Offline jungleboy

• Viscount Chevalier
  • Nine points!
    • View Profile
    • Spirit of the Camino
« Reply #22 on: October 03, 2015, 05:21:48 AM »
Basically Wooden are now selling their Carcassonne Travel Box on their website. It costs £30 including trays or £25 without trays (if you already have trays from their other boxes and don't want/need more).

They say it holds about 135 tiles (without dividers), so that would allow for quite a few more expansions than what we had discussed earlier in this thread with a 100-tile limit.

Offline Decar

• Owner
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net
« Reply #23 on: October 03, 2015, 06:38:33 AM »
Thanks for reminding me about this jungleboy!

I spoke to them again before I left for holiday, and they made a final alteration - you can see the lip near the 'lock' runs across the whole box.  This means less movement from the trays and anything tucked in the gap wont clatter about, in theory!

Offline quevy

• Duke Chevalier
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 06, 2015, 01:36:54 PM »
50/100 point for Travel Carcassonne  ;)

Offline Lord_Wishmaster

• Count
  • Merit: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 09, 2015, 07:51:48 AM »
Having read the thread through, very interesting. However, I'm surprised that apart from that brief reference in the last post no one has raised the subject of the actual Travel Carcassonne set. I know it's been out of print for a bit but it did exist!

For me it depends on what and how you define 'travel'. (1) If you mean the most bits you can transport to somewhere in the smallest carrier/box then all of the above falls in line with this one. (2) But, a travel to me is something that can be played whilst traveling. To my mind, the official set failed on both counts; if it was created for purpose 1, then why make it smaller anyway? It limits players to a very basic set of tiles, when many standard tiles can be fitted into a small box anyway! Then we have purpose 2, yes smaller tiles take up let room on, say, a trains table between seats, but in travel things move and bump. Not much use then when the tiles go everywhere and meeple fall off. Add to that a scoreboard on a cloth bag, disaster! So again it fails Surely this sort of travel set needs more thought, stability, possibly a gridded tray with even smaller (magnetic?) tiles and a peg scoreboard.

I know I may have gone a bit off the intended topic, sorry, but it was all I was thinking whilst reading!

Offline Decar

• Owner
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net
« Reply #26 on: October 09, 2015, 08:06:13 AM »
I don't think it's off topic at all; it's great to have input from everyone.

I think the largest problem is Carcassonne takes up a lot of table space; I doubt I'd ever be able to play it in the back of a car for example.

I agree the The Carcassonne Travel Set doesn't really help, because it is not compatible with all the expansions people like to use too.

I'd like to see a roll out magnetic version, but maybe digital formats would win outright for limited space; but you can't beat being able to play at a table.

I sometimes travel with work, and I think it would be nice to have a neat box to store a 'travel' deck I could grab and take with me in the off chance a colleague might want a game..... I have to stay hopeful  :(y)

Offline jungleboy

• Viscount Chevalier
  • Nine points!
    • View Profile
    • Spirit of the Camino
« Reply #27 on: February 21, 2016, 06:01:02 AM »
Today I finally got a chance to test out my travel box from Basically Wooden and see what fits in it and I wanted to share the results. Before I start let me say again how much I love Basically Wooden’s work and how cool I think this box is.

For expansions, I decided that Inns and Cathedrals and Traders & Builders were a ‘must’. These both fit into the row with the small box to hold the wooden pieces, with two dividers and room for four more tiles (so that each set of expansion tiles is separated, but one of them does not have a ‘personal’ divider). For the last four tiles, I chose Siege.

In the other row, after placing the base game tiles in and a divider, I also added Mage and Witch and another divider. This left me - again - with four tiles left. Unfortunately only the Tunnels and Windroses (apart from Cathars, which obviously wouldn’t be included with Siege already in) have exactly four tiles, and I don’t really like these expansions. So for now, I chose to put four abbeys in there instead. All of this with pieces for four players, including big followers, pigs and builders, plus the mage and the witch pieces and the trade goods in a plastic baggy, fits PERFECTLY.

So I think I’ve found the right number of tiles and dividers. But I want to get duplicate copies of all of these tiles and pieces so I don’t need to transfer back and forth from my big box to my travel box, and this leaves me with two problems based on the configuration I chose: 1) that getting another copy of Siege is possible but fairly expensive - or I could just use my existing copy and keep Cathars and Besiegers for my main box, and 2) getting another version of Abbey and Mayor just for four abbey tiles doesn’t seem like a very cost-efficient plan (or could I just order these individually from Cundco?).

So some other options could be to use only four tiles from a six-tile expansion such as the Fliers or even four of the five tiles from the CK&R shrines instead of the abbeys and/or Siege. Or another idea could be to remove Mage & Witch (a shame because I like it, but if Siege stays in it already sort of does half of what Mage & Witch does) and include a larger expansion with up to 14 tiles (unfortunately this space can’t be used for two six-tile expansions and a divider, because the divider space isn’t exactly in the middle). The problem here is that I have no more room for additional pieces. So I’m more inclined to stay with M&W and add four more tiles. 

So that's where I'm at right now. If anyone has any ideas, let me know!

Offline Decar

• Owner
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net
« Reply #28 on: February 21, 2016, 07:33:11 AM »
Great to see this in action. If you'd like I could print some cathars or seige tiles, if that would help.  I'd be tempted to remove some of the dividers so you could squeeze an extra tile or two in. You may be able to fit an extra mini expansion in instead. I split my base set across the two stacks to let me squeeze some extra full sets in.

Offline Rosco

• Duke Chevalier
  • Merit: 41
  • Racing, and playing hard!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 21, 2016, 09:09:02 AM »
I would go with ordering 4 abbeys from Cundco.   This box is a lot smaller than I expected.

Also windroses is 6 tiles so that wouldn't fit.  Darmstadt? La Porxada? The school? The king and robber tiles with a couple of random meeples for the king and robber? 4 German monasteries?  Some halflings?

I think I would dump the Mage and witch and put Fliers in and then add either abbeys or la Porxada and the school.

My travel box is a bit bigger and has player pieces for 6, T&B, I&C, Towers (just because I have a spare set), The Count (again a spare set), and the teacher.  I also have added a set of sheep from S&H but I need some shepherds.  I will add a few other bits when I get spares.

« Last Edit: February 21, 2016, 09:24:50 AM by Rosco »
Just lay the damn tile!

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
xx
WTB: Travel Carcassonne Set

Started by robnhill

7 Replies
Last post February 01, 2017, 01:01:52 PM
by Halfling
clip
Travel with Carcassonne

Started by Weetek23

36 Replies
Last post July 20, 2021, 10:00:37 AM
by Meepledrone
xx
WTB: Travel Carcassonne

Started by Allograft

11 Replies
Last post September 03, 2021, 01:38:45 PM
by Allograft
xx
Are the tiles in Carcassonne für 2 same size as normal travel version?

Started by Vesselvessel

3 Replies
Last post May 16, 2019, 07:59:21 AM
by DrMeeple
xx
For Sale: Carcassonne Travel Edition

Started by danisthirty

1 Replies
Last post February 28, 2024, 04:48:09 AM
by Leven