Author Topic: Kingdomino  (Read 11135 times)

Offline dirk2112

• Baron
  • Merit: 43
  • Filled with caffeine and hyperbole
    • View Profile
Kingdomino
« on: June 16, 2017, 11:10:09 AM »
If you already don't have Kingdomino, you need to go out and buy it right now.  For $18 - $20, you more than get your money worth.  This is the perfect 15 minute filler game.  It also is perfect to introduce a newbie to modern euro games.  It has been nominated for the Spiels de Jahres for this year and I would bet it wins.

Players
The game can be played with 2 to 4 players.  I have played it with 2, 3, and 4 players.  I prefer it with 2 and 4.

Theme
You play as a king trying to build the greatest 5x5 domino kingdom in the world.  The theme is rather weak, but for a game like this it really doesn't matter. 

How it works
In a 4 player game, everyone gets one meeple.  You put the first 4 tiles face down in order from lowest to highest.  You randomly pull meeple to see who goes first.  You flip the dominoes over and everyone chooses one.  You then put out 4 other tiles face down.  In the next round the turn order goes by who picked the lowest numbered tile.  So if in round 1, I picked domino #37, Decar picked #19, Dan picked #24, and Jungleboy picked #7, Jungleboy would get to pick first in the next round, followed by Decar, then Dan, and I would go last.  The numbers on the back of the tile represent their theoretical value.  Their actual value to you may not be so great, so it isn't in your best interest to always pick the highest numbered tile.

In a 2 player game, both players get 2 meeple.  On the first round one player gets first and last choice of dominos and the other player gets the 2nd and 3rd choice.  In following rounds each meeple gets a turn based on the tile value.  In the example in the picture, the green player took the highest numbered tiles this round.  In the next turn, she will end up with whatever tiles the yellow player doesn't want.  Because of this, I don't take the highest valued 2 tiles unless they really pay off.

After tiles are collected, you lay them in your kingdom.  You can lay any tile next to your castle as it acts as a wildcard.  When the castle is not involved, you must lay a tile in such a way that one side of it matches one of the preexisting tiles.  In the photo yellow is getting a forest/forest tile.  The only valid placements for it are next to his only forest or next to the castle itself.   At the end of the game, it isn't uncommon to get stuck with a tile you cannot use. 

End of Game Scoring
After each player places the last domino, you all score your kingdoms.  Points are scored based on crowns and land type.  You multiply the number of crowns in an area by the number of domino halves it takes up.  In my photo, I have 2 crowns in an area of wheat at the top.  2x4=8 points.  The wheat at the bottom is not connected and cannot count.  The castle also cannot be scored.  Areas without crowns are worthless.

7x7
In a 4 player 5x5 grid game, all of the tiles get used.  For a 2 and 3 player game, there are some leftover tiles.  Fortunately the game designer knows how much I hate leaving tiles in the box, so you can play a 2 player game and use all of the tiles making a 7x7 grid.  This is by far my favorite way to play the game.  It still only takes 10 to 15 minutes, so why not? 

Bonus rules

#1 Score 10 additional points if your kingdom is in the middle of your grid.
#2 Score 5 additional points if your grid is complete (you didn't throw away any dominoes)

When playing with these rules, it is really hard to win if your opponent's kingdom is in the center and yours is not.  I will say it is much easier to complete your grid without the kingdom being in the center, so that is why we always play with these rules.

Conclusion
On weekdays we get home from work, get dinner, and don't have much time for really long games.  This is perfect for those nights.  The time to play this, the price point, and the quality make this a great pickup if you like tile placement at all.  The game is rather small too, so you could take it while traveling.  There is a lot of strategy in this little game.  You can acquire tiles you know your opponents needed or force a player to take a tile he or she can't use.  Afterward you get a cute little kingdom with some interesting things added to the art.  I do believe I see the Lochness Monster.

Thanks to Jungleboy for introducing me to this game.  He would have written this review, but he is playing real life Tokaido (but in Spain  :(y) )

Linkback: https://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/index.php?topic=3408.0
« Last Edit: June 16, 2017, 11:12:17 AM by dirk2112 »

Offline Decar

• Owner
  • Chatelain Grand Officier
  • Merit: 317
  • Shut up and take my money!
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net
Re: Kingdomino
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2017, 09:34:43 AM »
No doubt you've heard my stories about playing this at Essen 2016.  I caved in recently and decided to play this at the UK Games Expo.

Edit: sorry hit enter too soon there:

Thanks for the write up, the 7x7 play sounds the most interesting, I'm hoping to get this to the table.

Offline Decar

• Owner
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2017, 01:11:58 PM »
Giant Kingdomino

Offline dirk2112

• Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2017, 02:31:54 PM »
All of the fun, but none of the portability.  I am not sure what to think.

Offline Decar

• Owner
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2017, 12:11:26 AM »
Well you know what they say:  'Think Big, or Go Home'...but if you Think Big you'll have to Go Home in order to play it.

Offline jungleboy

• Viscount Chevalier
  • Merit: 89
  • Nine points!
    • View Profile
    • Spirit of the Camino
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2017, 08:09:55 AM »
Queendomino (BGG link) has been announced as an Essen release this year. It's similtanously an expansion to Kingdomino and a stand-alone game. Can't wait!

Offline franks

• Marquis
  • Merit: 26
  • I love Carcassonne
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2017, 04:50:32 PM »

7x7
In a 4 player 5x5 grid game, all of the tiles get used.  For a 2 and 3 player game, there are some leftover tiles.  Fortunately the game designer knows how much I hate leaving tiles in the box, so you can play a 2 player game and use all of the tiles making a 7x7 grid.  This is by far my favorite way to play the game.  It still only takes 10 to 15 minutes, so why not? 

7 x 7 is also my preferred way to play with the inclusion of the 2 optional bonus scorings. I even bought a 2nd set to play 7x7 with four players.

Queendomino (BGG link) has been announced as an Essen release this year. It's similtanously an expansion to Kingdomino and a stand-alone game. Can't wait!

I'm equally excited for Queendomino!
Franks

Wanna play Carc? Can we add just one more expansion?

Offline Decar

• Owner
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2017, 07:07:16 AM »
The Gencon video of Queendomino has been put up.  It attempts to explain the new mechanics.  I didn't think it was particularly clear what difference it made.  As far as I can tell, you can generate money, which you use to buy buildings that you can use to upgrade certain tiles to score different points.  But if you don't like the tiles you can pay to have a dragon eat them.

Offline Decar

• Owner
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2018, 01:38:45 PM »
I've played a couple of games on Kingdomino with my wife.  We both quite like it,  I find the interaction pretty low, as there's little chance to do a profitable hate draft.  I managed to hit a high score of 134  (+5 for centred castle and +10 for a complete grid) in the 2-player large variant.  I wish I could send it to that man at Essen '16 who berated his family for not being as good as him.  Mind you that was after Jen beat me 3 times in a row...so was about time I went for gold.  :(y)

Offline Halfling

• Chatelain
  • Merit: 49
  • Welcome tournament 2015 winner.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2018, 01:22:50 PM »
Love kingdomino. Just played first game of queendomino and I like that even more!
The Geek shall inherit the earth if we get a good die role

Offline dirk2112

• Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2018, 01:35:57 PM »
There is an expansion coming out for the base game.  It comes with a tower and a take that mechanic.   :(n)   I wanted more tiles, but not like this. 

https://boardgamegeek.com/video/168545/kingdomino-age-giants/spielwarenmesse-2018-age-giants-presentation

My wife and I sat down at the FLGS and tried QueenDomino a second time.  We still don't get why people think it is that much better.  The extra tedium reduces the small footprint of the game and the ease of transporting it.  At the same time, the extra stuff doesn't add enough weight to be truly different.  We still prefer Isle Of Skye for our middleweight tile drafting game. 

Offline Sinscerly

• Viscount
  • Merit: 30
  • Loving to play.
    • View Profile
    • WikiCarpedia - Wiki-CAR
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2018, 03:00:28 PM »
There is an expansion coming out for the base game.  It comes with a tower and a take that mechanic.   :(n)   I wanted more tiles, but not like this. 

https://boardgamegeek.com/video/168545/kingdomino-age-giants/spielwarenmesse-2018-age-giants-presentation

My wife and I sat down at the FLGS and tried QueenDomino a second time.  We still don't get why people think it is that much better.  The extra tedium reduces the small footprint of the game and the ease of transporting it.  At the same time, the extra stuff doesn't add enough weight to be truly different.  We still prefer Isle Of Skye for our middleweight tile drafting game.

Indeed you'r right, it's not what I and many probably expected . I have my doubts on QueenDomino but haven't had an opportunity to play it somewhere :'( before buying.
"What things can you find? Things that are hidden?
Do you know The WikiCarpedia?

Offline jungleboy

• Viscount Chevalier
  • Merit: 89
  • Nine points!
    • View Profile
    • Spirit of the Camino
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2018, 03:16:58 PM »

I agree and will try to sell my copy of Queendomino the next time I do a games clean-out. I brought Kingdomino to Australia this week so hopefully my parents will like it.

Offline Sinscerly

• Viscount
  • Merit: 30
  • Loving to play.
    • View Profile
    • WikiCarpedia - Wiki-CAR
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2018, 03:39:07 PM »
I agree and will try to sell my copy of Queendomino the next time I do a games clean-out. I brought Kingdomino to Australia this week so hopefully my parents will like it.
Haha, I hope your parents will like it. KingDomino is great to play.  O0

Offline dirk2112

• Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2018, 05:46:05 PM »

If they do like it, you may consider leaving that game with them and just keeping QueenDomino for yourself and playing with the KingDomino rules.  Oddly enough we did something similar with King Of Tokyo and King Of New York

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter