Author Topic: Spanish Monasteries  (Read 22916 times)

Offline mas9dj

• Nobleman
  • Merit: 7
  • I haven't updated my profile yet!
    • View Profile
Spanish Monasteries
« on: April 09, 2015, 03:41:03 AM »
Good morning, I wanted to give a heads up on this:

Devir, spanish publisher for Carcassonne, hosted a poll yesterday to vote for the 6 monasteries that should absolutely appear in a new mini-expansion of 6 tiles. Does this ring any bells? No date estimation yet, but certainly, they seem to be working on it for sure.

Spanish Monasteries are coming! I'll keep you informed.

PS: I started ages ago a fan expansion for spanish monasteries, I'm good at drawing but not at colouring so I didn't get to finish it. Now that there's an official one on the way, I'm sorry to say it's a bit pointless to finish it but I wanted to thank people who followed it and to apologize to those who were eagerly waiting for it. Once the official one is released and we get to know which monasteries appear I might decide to use some of the assets that aren't coincident for another fan expansion.

Linkback: https://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/index.php?topic=1673.0
Gotta catch 'em all

Offline Jéré

• Chatelain
  • Merit: 62
    • View Profile
Re: Spanish Monasteries
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2015, 04:01:56 AM »
Interesting! Me hace mucha ilusión.  :)
I wonder how difficult it will be to get it. Do you have a link to their website? Thanks!

Offline Chooselife

• Viscount
  • Merit: 25
  • Just Ask
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2015, 04:11:56 AM »
 :(y)

I believe it was a vote on Facebook.
Unfortunately I don't believe Devir Portugal will do the same with our awesome, old and full of history cloisters and castles. Nevertheless I went to their Facebook and gave them the idea  ::) :)).

We few, we happy few, we band of brothers; For he today that sheds his blood with me, Shall be my brother;

Offline kettlefish

• Global Moderator
  • Chatelain Officier
  • Merit: 127
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2015, 04:16:05 AM »
Interesting! Me hace mucha ilusión.  :)
I wonder how difficult it will be to get it. Do you have a link to their website? Thanks!
Here are the links:

Devir at twitter:
https://twitter.com/DevirIberia/status/585720766806630400

Devir at facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/deviriberia/photos/a.117805608233926.19889.115825371765283/1050042858343525/?type=1&theater

Offline mas9dj

• Nobleman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2015, 05:28:26 AM »
Thanks for the links kettlefish, chooselife is right, the voting was held on Facebook and there was also a carcassonne new edition giveaway to one of the participants. So far there is no other place where to find additional information but it's sort of early yet. They will announce the winning monasteries soon, that's the first step towards creating the tiles and releasing them. I wouldn't expect them before 2-3 months. My guess is they'll be available at their own web shop, but who knows. Hopefully they'll accept international orders.

Offline jungleboy

• Viscount Chevalier
  • Merit: 89
  • Nine points!
    • View Profile
    • Spirit of the Camino
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2015, 05:58:13 AM »
Devir, spanish publisher for Carcassonne, hosted a poll yesterday to vote for the 6 monasteries that should absolutely appear in a new mini-expansion of 6 tiles. Does this ring any bells? No date estimation yet, but certainly, they seem to be working on it for sure.

Brilliant, I have been waiting and hoping for this ever since the German Monasteries came out. Great news!!

Last week I was in Guadalupe, which has a fabulous monastery. I know you included that one in your drawings mas, and I think it absolutely has to be in the final six, so I voted for it. Here are some pics (since I am useless at embedding pics into a post).

Unfortunately I don't believe Devir Portugal will do the same with our awesome, old and full of history cloisters and castles. Nevertheless I went to their Facebook and gave them the idea  ::) :)).

I am cautiously optimistic, for two reasons:

1) As the publisher for both Spain and Portugal, Devir could have easily included Portugal with Spain in the same way 999 did with the Netherlands and Belgium. The fact that they didn't do this could mean that they are considering a separate Portuguese Monasteries expansion.

2) Portugal is absolutely tailor-made for this expansion. I am in Portugal right now and in the last three days I have had the excellent fortune of visiting three extraordinary monasteries (Alcobaça, Batalha and Tomar). Combined with Jeróminos in Belém, this already makes four fantastic monasteries that are easily as good or better as the top four monasteries in any other country. So Devir could make a four-tile set with these four or add two more and make the standard six-tile set. We can only hope!

Edit: how do you embed pics from Flickr into a post? With the URL between the two [img] tags, or with an = sign before closing the open tag like with links, or some other way?
« Last Edit: April 09, 2015, 06:03:08 AM by jungleboy »

Offline Chooselife

• Viscount
  • Merit: 25
  • Just Ask
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2015, 06:28:19 AM »

I am cautiously optimistic, for two reasons:

1) As the publisher for both Spain and Portugal, Devir could have easily included Portugal with Spain in the same way 999 did with the Netherlands and Belgium. The fact that they didn't do this could mean that they are considering a separate Portuguese Monasteries expansion.

2) Portugal is absolutely tailor-made for this expansion. I am in Portugal right now and in the last three days I have had the excellent fortune of visiting three extraordinary monasteries (Alcobaça, Batalha and Tomar). Combined with Jeróminos in Belém, this already makes four fantastic monasteries that are easily as good or better as the top four monasteries in any other country. So Devir could make a four-tile set with these four or add two more and make the standard six-tile set. We can only hope!

1) It would be a pitty as both Portugal and Spain have enormously rich religious/medieval architecture so surely enough for one two separate expansions.  O0

2) As a Portuguese, welcome and thank you. My suggestions to Devir Portugal were:
Cloisters:
Mosteiro da Batalha
Convento de Mafra
Mosteiro dos Jerónimos
Convento de Cristo em Tomar
Mosteiro de Alcobaça
Mosteiro da Serra do Pilar
Castles:
Castelo de Porto de Mós
Castelo de Santa Maria da Feira
Castelo de Guimarães
Castelo de Óbidos
Castelo de Évoramonte
Castelo de Almourol

In the meantime they replied to my suggestion saying more or less "Thanks for the suggestion, we'll put some thought into it." So there is hope  ^-^

Offline MrNumbers

• Duke Chevalier
  • Merit: 91
    • View Profile
    • Carcassonne Latvia
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2015, 05:18:04 AM »
Edit: how do you embed pics from Flickr into a post? With the URL between the two {img} tags, or with an = sign before closing the open tag like with links, or some other way?

In Flickr you have BBCode in Share menu. Just choose the right size and copy/paste the code.

For example:

Monastery by Jungle_Boy, on Flickr

Code: [Select]
[url=https://flic.kr/p/rZRkyS][img]https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8823/17063585782_fbee610030.jpg[/img][/url]
[url=https://flic.kr/p/rZRkyS]Monastery[/url] by [url=https://www.flickr.com/people/81247086@N00/]Jungle_Boy[/url], on Flickr

Of course, you can remove trailing text and leave just picture.
"I never lose. Either I win or I learn." (Nelson Mandela)

Offline mas9dj

• Nobleman
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2015, 03:04:45 AM »
Carcassonne Pieza de Inicio, spanish blog for Carcassonne has facilitated the results of the voting though Devir has the last word as to which will be included. You can check the list here: http://carcassonnepiezadeinicio.blogspot.com.es/2015/04/monasterios-de-espana.html

It's quite interesting Monasterio de Piedra has so many votes. It's quite a known place but it's fame comes from the natural park beside more than from the monastery itself, which as an architect I dare say it's way less important than many others that have been left out from the list. Nevertheless, if it's got so many votes, it must be a very cherised one by carcassonne players so I'll go with it :P The list was always going to fall short anyway since there are so many great monasteries here, the same will happen with castles if it eventually comes.

Offline BabyGamer

• Duke
  • Merit: 12
  • Aloha! =^_^=
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2015, 05:04:10 AM »
 :o :o :o

Will this be an official expansion?  ???

Offline SRBO

• Chatelain
  • Merit: 40
  • The Robber Dragon King
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2015, 07:24:35 AM »
yes:)

Offline ZoeperJ

• Vagabond
  • Merit: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2015, 12:16:59 AM »
Hope it will be easier to come by as Carcassonne: La Porxada (or what it is called)...

Offline Whaleyland

• Great Khan
  • Global Moderator
  • Marquis Chevalier
  • Merit: 101
  • Toulouse: Carcassonne's insignificant neighbor.
    • View Profile
    • Derek R. Whaley, PhD | Librarian, Historian, and Writer
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2015, 12:38:58 AM »
Hope it will be easier to come by as Carcassonne: La Porxada (or what it is called)...
That's because La Porxada does not officially exist. No printed tiles were ever released, only blank tiles with glued-on images. It was a one-off promo done by Devir and has only a nod of approval from Hans im Glück, but nothing more formal. They rank below the Games Quarterly expansion in the official ranking and kettlefish, at least, places it in the same category as any other fan expansion. In contrast, the Spanish Monasteries sound like they will be an official expansion released by Devir with full formal approval by Hans im Glück. That puts them on par with anything released by Rio Grande Games or Spielbox magazine (though not Hans im Glück, which ranks highest in the "official expansions" strata).

Offline jungleboy

• Viscount Chevalier
  • Merit: 89
  • Nine points!
    • View Profile
    • Spirit of the Camino
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2015, 09:06:12 AM »
In Flickr you have BBCode in Share menu. Just choose the right size and copy/paste the code.

Thanks! I tried this but using the HTML code and not the BBCode. Now I think I've got it.

My suggestions to Devir Portugal were:

Cloisters:
Mosteiro da Batalha
Convento de Mafra
Mosteiro dos Jerónimos
Mosteiro de Alcobaça
Mosteiro da Serra do Pilar

I don't know No. 2 and 6. But I've been to the other four and they're fantastic. Here is one pic of each (also to test image insertion):

Mosteiro da Batalha

Mosteiro dos Jerónimos

Mosteiro de Alcobaça
« Last Edit: April 13, 2015, 09:08:44 AM by jungleboy »

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
  • Merit: 293
  • "First to 4 points wins?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2015, 09:09:11 AM »
Looks like it worked  :(y)

Nice photos!  :)

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
xx
News about Spanish and Polish Monasteries

Started by Safari

7 Replies
Last post February 12, 2016, 08:45:27 PM
by Safari
xx
Spanish national championship carcassonne

Started by jma03

6 Replies
Last post July 13, 2016, 05:44:27 AM
by Jéré
xx
The Abbot - spanish (regulation of this expansion)

Started by Carcassonne Pieza Inicio

0 Replies
Last post July 29, 2015, 02:37:05 AM
by Carcassonne Pieza Inicio
xx
The Barbarian Report: Attack of the Monasteries (Monasteries in Germany Review)

Started by Whaleyland

25 Replies
Last post September 04, 2017, 10:40:49 AM
by Willem
xx
German Monasteries 2020

Started by MMike

4 Replies
Last post November 01, 2020, 07:35:07 AM
by DrMeeple