Author Topic: Carcassonne meets StarWars  (Read 46251 times)

Offline kettlefish

• Global Moderator
  • Chatelain Officier
  • Merit: 127
    • View Profile
Re: Carcassonne meets StarWars
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2015, 10:53:38 PM »
Hi whaleyland,
thanks for your list, but as I've written before - Amazonas needs much work - the release wouldn't come this year.
Well your statement didn't necessary lead to that conclusion, but still good to know. I've corrected the list above. Also, check out the BGG series page for Carcassonne. I just updated it with all the stuff from last year and it's looking pretty good. And if Star Wars is the only Carcassonne thing to release this year, that's still good enough for me.
The list at BGG is nice, but this is not true:
A new starting tile divides the playing area into four fields: northwest, northeast, southwest, southeast.
The Spielbox Windrose divides the playing area into two fields: North, South
And the picture is not the right one.

Offline Whaleyland

• Great Khan
  • Global Moderator
  • Marquis Chevalier
  • Merit: 101
  • Toulouse: Carcassonne's insignificant neighbor.
    • View Profile
    • Derek R. Whaley, PhD | Librarian, Historian, and Writer
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2015, 11:17:43 PM »
lol. Nice find. Most of the mistakes on this page are mine, so I'll take the blame. The errors have been fixed, although only Windrose from Spielbox had the wrong image.

Offline BabyGamer

• Duke
  • Merit: 12
  • Aloha! =^_^=
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2015, 06:05:47 AM »
*looks suspiciously at the new SW Carcassonne game*

Hmmm.....  ??? I like Starwars and Carcassonne but...

Nope. This is not for me. :)

Same game, in just a new skin, doesn't appeal to me.  :P This is something I can gladly leave at the shop shelf and don't feel bad about it.  ^-^

What's next? "Carcassonne Inside Body"?  Where the fields are blood, the castles are organs, and the roads are intestines swirling left and right?   :o

Offline Carcking

• Duke Chevalier
  • Merit: 33
  • I call Red!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2015, 08:07:45 AM »
The list at BGG is nice, but this is not true:
A new starting tile divides the playing area into four fields: northwest, northeast, southwest, southeast.
The Spielbox Windrose divides the playing area into two fields: North, South
And the picture is not the right one.

Doesn't the Cundco version divide the playing field into quadrants? Not North and South, but NE, NW, SW and SE.
The BGG listing is not correct:

I just drew the perfect tile for my MonKnighThieFarmer!

Offline obervet

• Authors
  • Count
  • Merit: 36
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2015, 08:29:33 AM »
What's next? "Carcassonne Inside Body"?  Where the fields are blood, the castles are organs, and the roads are intestines swirling left and right?   :o

I would totally buy that one, too.

Offline kettlefish

• Global Moderator
  • Chatelain Officier
  • Merit: 127
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 29, 2015, 08:51:36 AM »
HiG on twitter:
https://twitter.com/HiG_Verlag/status/560815006024237056/photo/1

Quote from: 'German'
Carcassonne Star Wars - hier ein Entwurf - erscheint im Herbst 2015.

Carcassonne Star Wars - here is a prototype - it will published in autumn 2015.

Offline BabyGamer

• Duke
  • Merit: 12
  • Aloha! =^_^=
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 29, 2015, 09:46:21 AM »

I would totally buy that one, too.

LOL..  ;D

Offline Lobo

• Labourer
  • Merit: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 29, 2015, 05:28:24 PM »
So, if this Star Wars Carcassonne (instant buy for me) is released at the time when we got an Around the World the previous years, could this indicate there won't be one in this series in 2015?

Offline DLloyd09

• Vassal
  • Merit: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 29, 2015, 06:03:18 PM »
In an interview at the podcast "Bretterwisser" told Dirk Geilenkeuser (HiG) that the next "Around the World" project will take place in the area of the "Amazonas".

I've tested a prototype of "Amazonas" - I have to say: there will be much work to do, this needs many more play testing...
Amazonas needs much work - the release wouldn't come this year.

Looks like probably not this year.

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
  • Merit: 293
  • "First to 4 points wins?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 29, 2015, 11:41:59 PM »
I thought/ hoped this was a joke when I saw it on Twitter and I'm not a fan of it at all. I've never had any interest in any of the Star Wars films and I don't get what all the fuss is about, yet it appears to be in everything! But I recognise that I'm probably in the minority here so won't go into detail about it...

What does Carcassonne have to do with Star Wars though? Couldn't this just have been released as a game in its own right without shamelessly plastering "Carcassonne" all over it purely to make sure it sells well?

How would people feel about a "Disney Princess" Carcassonne or a "Peppa Pig" Carcassonne or a "Sex in the City" Carcassonne, because if you hate any of these things then you might understand how I feel about this...

I would expect to see this sooner. May 4 would be an obvious choice for release date.

So far, this was the only thing I enjoyed reading in this thread!  :))
« Last Edit: January 29, 2015, 11:47:21 PM by danisthirty »

Offline MrNumbers

• Duke Chevalier
  • Merit: 91
    • View Profile
    • Carcassonne Latvia
« Reply #25 on: January 29, 2015, 11:58:21 PM »
But I recognise that I'm probably in the minority here

As I wrote before, I'm also in this minority :D
But look at this from the other side: there are much more Star Wars fans in the world than Carcassonne fans. And almost all of SW fans will definitely buy this Carcassonne edition, and, who knows, maybe they will get interested in the original Carcassonne (don't show them 2.0! :) ). So I expect many new members will come to CarcC, and we should be ready! C:-) Maybe in the future we will need separate sub-forum for SW fans? ;)
"I never lose. Either I win or I learn." (Nelson Mandela)

Offline Decar

• Owner
  • Chatelain Grand Officier
  • Merit: 317
  • Shut up and take my money!
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net
« Reply #26 on: January 30, 2015, 12:33:41 AM »
It doesn't make any sense. They are starting the new triology of star wars films this year. It makes sense for them to bleed the cash cow into as many franchises as possible....but why is Darth Vader on the cover?   He's not going to be in this trilogy....it makes no sense!

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
  • Merit: 293
  • "First to 4 points wins?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 30, 2015, 12:48:01 AM »
But I recognise that I'm probably in the minority here

As I wrote before, I'm also in this minority :D
But look at this from the other side: there are much more Star Wars fans in the world than Carcassonne fans. And almost all of SW fans will definitely buy this Carcassonne edition, and, who knows, maybe they will get interested in the original Carcassonne (don't show them 2.0! :) ). So I expect many new members will come to CarcC, and we should be ready! C:-) Maybe in the future we will need separate sub-forum for SW fans? ;)

I guess this could be true to some degree, although if literally every Star Wars fan buys this new edition of Carcassonne then it will sell very well indeed! Regardless of my own personal feeling towards Star Wars and the fact that it is everywhere though, I can at least see this being good for the game in terms of bringing new players to it. This is a good thing, especially if it helps to grow the community here.

Mark my words though, as soon as one of these new members starts a new post talking about how cool it would be if there was some sort of medieval-themed version of Star Wars Carcassonne then I am out of here!  ;)

Offline AlbinoAsian

• Count
  • Merit: 19
  • Living like a meeple
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 30, 2015, 05:22:18 AM »
How would people feel about a "Disney Princess" Carcassonne or a "Peppa Pig" Carcassonne or a "Sex in the City" Carcassonne, because if you hate any of these things then you might understand how I feel about this...

Carcassonne could be the new monopoly! Don't you want to see your beloved game with multiple variants but adding barely any change in gameplay?

In all honesty though I'd buy this version way before I'd buy 2.0 because this looks interesting for me. Space themed not so much Starwars themed.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2015, 05:24:17 AM by AlbinoAsian »

Offline Hounk

• Baron
  • Merit: 15
  • I haven't updated my profile yet!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 30, 2015, 05:38:35 AM »
But look at this from the other side: there are much more Star Wars fans in the world than Carcassonne fans.
I would not bet on that. I think, there is so much of Star Wars merchandising around, even the most die hard fans, who camp in front of the box office for a week to get premiere tickets, can't possibly collect everything. Even concerning board games, there is Star Wars Monopoly, Star Wars Risk, Star Wars Labyrinth, and who knows, what else.

I would think however, that if a Carcassonne fan wants to infest a Star Wars junkie, this game might make a reasonable good birthday or Christmas present.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
exclamation
Starwars Edition on sale (43% discount) - AMAZON.DE

Started by Jéré

1 Replies
Last post November 29, 2015, 03:34:52 AM
by jungleboy
xx
Carcassonne & Co. Newsletter - announcing a new "Spiel '14" Carcassonne tile

Started by wamboyil

60 Replies
Last post January 20, 2015, 04:39:08 PM
by eddebaby
xx
Dutch Championship Carcassonne / Nederlands Kampioenschap Carcassonne

Started by The-Edge

6 Replies
Last post March 17, 2023, 09:25:00 AM
by Willem
clip
Carcassonne in Carcassonne - 09 & 10.09.2023

Started by Meepledrone

11 Replies
Last post September 10, 2023, 11:41:26 AM
by Orkfly
xx
CARCASSONNE IN PAIRS (an original idea from carcassonne.cat)

Started by DrMeeple

14 Replies
Last post January 11, 2022, 06:52:18 AM
by DrMeeple