Author Topic: 2017 World Cup - Group C  (Read 24547 times)

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
  • Merit: 293
  • "First to 4 points wins?"
    • View Profile
Re: 2017 World Cup - Group C
« Reply #75 on: January 06, 2018, 07:41:49 AM »
Regardless of the result of my game vs NY, Jéré sure shook up this group with his late entrance! Really impressive!

Indeed. He's like some sort of master craftsman who only makes front doors out of solid gold; he always makes an impressive entrance.

Offline Jéré

• Chatelain
  • Merit: 62
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: January 06, 2018, 07:50:14 AM »
Ok tsunami Jéré is done... sorry for crashing your Group C party!  :o

Jéré  :yellow-meeple: 176 -118  :blue-meeple: ny1050220

Early in the game, we could see that one farm had potential to become the "big one"... I think I claimed it first and ny1050220 replied with the big guy already...I think we had played about 20 tiles, so still a long way to go. I had to decide whether to escalate this into the third farming war or be more moderate. I opted for the latter and used my big meeple to attempt to steal a city... but with a brilliant tile placement, ny (almost) blocked it and it stayed there until very late in the game when I got this rare RCCF tile... oh well, throughout the game, I score quite a lot of roads with inn which helped to boost my score and then focused on the main farm. I managed to block one of ny's meeple that would have tied the majority in the field. That was it.

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
  • Merit: 293
  • "First to 4 points wins?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: January 06, 2018, 07:59:10 AM »

You're always welcome.

Congratulations on your win, and your unbeaten record. Good luck with the rest of the competition!

Commiserations ny1050220, and good luck in your final game with thodekey. Do you have a date/ time scheduled for this yet?

Offline Jéré

• Chatelain
  • Merit: 62
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: January 06, 2018, 08:07:49 AM »

You're always welcome.

Congratulations on your win, and your unbeaten record. Good luck with the rest of the competition!

Commiserations ny1050220, and good luck in your final game with thodekey. Do you have a date/ time scheduled for this yet?

Thanks!

I know that their game is scheduled for tomorrow. I forget what time. We could be the first group to finish!  :(y)

Offline thodekey

• Count
  • Merit: 9
  • I feel Carc-complete or do I?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: January 06, 2018, 08:41:36 AM »

You're always welcome.

Thanks!

I know that their game is scheduled for tomorrow. I forget what time. We could be the first group to finish!  :(y)

We start tomorrow around 15 CET

Offline ny1050220

• Marquis
  • Merit: 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: January 07, 2018, 07:00:42 AM »
This game concludes Group C. I won by a margin of 9 points.
thodekey 188 : 197 ny1050220

Thodekey claimed the 57 points farm (to be scored by me) with his first tile! In case you wonder, this is the rrrr tile with two curves in the 10th anniv. I replied by a small meeple in the row just south of his but two tile to the west. Thodekey tried to block me by the rrrf tile with an inn just south of his farmer, so now all I need is a fffx. There are six cloisters and five fffc in the base game, so easy-peasy, eh? I didn't get any of that before thodekey drew both fffr cloister and created a hole not-to-be-filled by that straight road tile.
The turn occurred when I got the crff tile from the 10th anniv. three tile south of the hole. Later I managed the connect my farmer (labeled as 57) onto his big farm. Then we started a continuous fight near the NW corner and I managed to dominate. Thodekey's last attempt was the 3-point-farmer in the very south, but all the needed tiles were gone at that point.
And you might wonder what a stupid person ny1050220 is by putting down farmer on a tile outside of the big farmer in the SW corner and scoring 0 at the end. Well, thodekey had a farmer NW of that tile, and I was like, whatever magic you do, I'll get the same. Then he retrieved that farmer with a later 10th anniv. tile.
Thodekey made three of my incomplete cities worthless by using the besiege tiles, when I was only able to retrieve one of my knights with a 10th anniv. tile. And thodekey got all cloister but one, which was one of my first three tiles, so that didn't help rescue my knights at all.
All in all, it was an intense game. Thanks again, thodekey! Well played! I thought I was gonna lose the game after you took the lead until I got the crff anniv. tile.

Offline thodekey

• Count
  • Merit: 9
  • I feel Carc-complete or do I?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: January 07, 2018, 07:27:53 AM »
It was a real rollercoaster game!  The stakes were high, I could end up 2nd and go through to the knockout phase but a 3d, 4th or even 5th place was possible with the result of this game.

In the first part of the game, ny1050220 had a small lead, placing his meeples well and being less reckless with them then I did.  After a while I almost succeeded in taking over the large city in the north with a small and big meeple vs. the big meeple of ny1050220 but with one closing tile needed, he succeeded in joining back with one meeple and thus tying the city.

In the middle part of the game, I took over the lead.  On that point in the game, I was leading with +/- 40 points and in doing so, I was virtually placed for the knock-out stage as I was leading or at least tying in the main farm and a smaller one in the north.  With ny1050220 having some meeples in besieged cities, things were looking very good.

But then, ny1050220 made some clever attempts to take over the main farm and whatever tile I got next, it wasn't the good one to avoid him from joining and later on, taking over the main farm...neither for me to take back the farm :(

I must admit that this game had some extra flavour/stress factor because I didn't only had to win to go to the knock-out phase but also because of the points difference I needed.  It made me take more risks and it turned out the wrong way.

Anyway, congratulations to ny1050220...and to Dan in ending up second in this group!  You deserved it as I lost my game against you as well.  Good luck in the knock-out phase to both Dan and Jéré.  Make the C-group proud in the knock-out phase!

Offline MrNumbers

• Duke Chevalier
  • Merit: 91
    • View Profile
    • Carcassonne Latvia
« Reply #82 on: January 07, 2018, 07:48:07 AM »
Congratulations to Group C for the first group to finish, and particularly to Jéré and danisthirty for reaching QF!
"I never lose. Either I win or I learn." (Nelson Mandela)

Offline jungleboy

• Viscount Chevalier
  • Merit: 89
  • Nine points!
    • View Profile
    • Spirit of the Camino
« Reply #83 on: January 07, 2018, 09:18:55 AM »
Mozambique will be back with a vengeance next year!

Offline TheSteveAllen

• Marquis
  • Merit: 25
  • Power to the Meeple!
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: February 10, 2018, 04:50:55 AM »
If, like myself, you enjoyed the competition of the Carcassonne World Cup, but failed to qualify for the knock-out stage, you might be interested in joining our little tournament that we are setting up amongst the others who did not qualify.

Details can be found here ;- http://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/index.php?topic=3835.0

I hope that you will all consider joining this friendly tournament, especially as you can't get "knocked out" of this one before the end.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
xx
2017 World Cup - Group A

Started by MrNumbers

62 Replies
Last post February 10, 2018, 04:49:48 AM
by TheSteveAllen
xx
2017 World Cup - Group B

Started by MrNumbers

59 Replies
Last post February 10, 2018, 04:50:28 AM