Author Topic: Carc's 15th Birthday: Sign a tile for KJW  (Read 106755 times)

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
  • Merit: 293
  • "First to 4 points wins?"
    • View Profile
Carc's 15th Birthday: Sign a tile for KJW
« on: November 02, 2015, 08:00:33 AM »
Next year will be Carcassonne’s 15th birthday, and with such an important occasion on the horizon I thought it would be good if we did something as a community to celebrate this and pay tribute to Carcassonne’s creator – Klaus-Jürgen Wrede – in the process... :(y)

Klaus-Jürgen has signed a great many things over the years; tiles, boxes, postcards, stickers... you name it, he’s signed it! And he’s always keen to hear from his game’s fans too. With this in mind, I thought it would be nice to do something similar for him, but in reverse where fans like us sign tiles of our own and give them to him. That’s the basic premise anyway.

All you need to do to be included is to simply take any tile from the basic game or an official expansion (classic artwork), sign your name on the front of it and post it to me (PM me for my address if you don’t already have it). I’m hoping for a good response to this so that I can arrange all the signed tiles into a big landscape, stick them down onto a sheet of cardboard and have it framed and ready to present to Klaus-Jürgen at the big fan-meeting in Essen next year. This means I need your help to ensure that this succeeds.

I would urge as many people as possible to take part in this, even though it requires you to sacrifice a single tile and post it to me. If enough people take part, I’m sure the end result will be very impressive and will serve as an excellent thank you present from us as a community to Carcassonne’s creator himself! Plus there’s the opportunity to make an accompanying booklet including the names, locations and photos (if you wish to include a photo of yourself with your tile) of everyone who has helped us to make history: most signed tiles in a single game of Carcassonne! Don’t miss your chance...

Please let me know your thoughts about this: good, bad or ugly, or feel free to ask if you have any questions. Here’s hoping I receive a tile signed by you in the near future! :)

:blue-meeple:

Linkback: https://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/index.php?topic=2162.0

Offline Paul

• Marquis Chevalier
  • Merit: 86
    • View Profile
    • sydby.com
Re: Carc's 15th Birthday: Sign a tile for KJW
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2015, 08:21:25 AM »
I have a tile I can spare so I'm in.  8)
World record holder for a single game of Carcassonne using 10 007 tiles!

Offline Guy

• Count
  • Merit: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2015, 12:57:31 PM »
I'm in too. Sounds like a great idea.
I play orange

Offline JT Atomico

• Marquis
  • Merit: 61
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2015, 01:36:56 PM »
Sounds great Dan, nice idea :) Silly question perhaps, but do you want us to sign our real names or our forum usernames or both?

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2015, 01:43:30 PM »
@Paul & @Guy - great to have you both on board! :) :(y)

Sounds great Dan, nice idea :) Silly question perhaps, but do you want us to sign our real names or our forum usernames or both?

Not a silly question at all. I think it's entirely up to you so you should sign whichever you prefer, or both. I will probably sign my name as Dan "is thirty" Chard 8)

Now I just need to choose what tile I'm going to sign. It'd be good to see an interesting mix of tiles and expansions used across the board as the landscape I create from them will be all the more beautiful for it!

Offline SRBO

• Chatelain
  • Merit: 40
  • The Robber Dragon King
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2015, 01:49:55 PM »
i want to join too, but im going to need to get a tile from somewhere hahah. I will get one from my next cundco order :@

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2015, 01:57:20 PM »
i want to join too, but im going to need to get a tile from somewhere hahah. I will get one from my next cundco order :@

That's the spirit! :) You can always use their tile replacement service if you really don't have anything you can spare. That's 0.2 Euros for any tile from the base game.

Offline Whaleyland

• Great Khan
  • Global Moderator
  • Marquis Chevalier
  • Merit: 101
  • Toulouse: Carcassonne's insignificant neighbor.
    • View Profile
    • Derek R. Whaley, PhD | Librarian, Historian, and Writer
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2015, 05:45:53 PM »

That's the spirit! :) You can always use their tile replacement service if you really don't have anything you can spare. That's 0.2 Euros for any tile from the base game.
Random aside question: Do they let you purchase the 12 tiles of the new River expansion via this service, or only base game tiles?

Offline Halfling

• Chatelain
  • Merit: 49
  • Welcome tournament 2015 winner.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2015, 11:12:38 PM »
I'm in, I'll PM you in a minute. 

I'll go for a tile from Inns & Cathedrals.
The Geek shall inherit the earth if we get a good die role

Offline MrNumbers

• Duke Chevalier
  • Merit: 91
    • View Profile
    • Carcassonne Latvia
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2015, 11:26:26 PM »
I can give a tile from King and Robber. Any preferences, maybe? (taking into account that you, Dan, have to build one solid picture with that tiles)
"I never lose. Either I win or I learn." (Nelson Mandela)

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2015, 11:31:25 PM »

Random aside question: Do they let you purchase the 12 tiles of the new River expansion via this service, or only base game tiles?

Good question. I've only ever ordered missing tiles from the base game, but the text makes it sound like they possibly would match tiles from more commonly available expansions too if it's described properly. You might have to specify that you'd like it in the old artwork too, just in case.

I'll go for a tile from Inns & Cathedrals.

Thanks Halfling, and good choice! I & Cs has some very interesting tiles! Will reply to your PM in a moment.

I can give a tile from King and Robber. Any preferences, maybe? (taking into account that you, Dan, have to build one solid picture with that tiles)

Thanks MrNumbers! Any tile should be fine, the challenge will be trying to ensure that as much as possible is completed...

Offline jungleboy

• Viscount Chevalier
  • Merit: 89
  • Nine points!
    • View Profile
    • Spirit of the Camino
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2015, 04:22:06 AM »
This is a neat concept and I'd like to contribute if everyone else is, but the actual idea itself has created a small personal dilemma for me.

To be more specific: I don't like signed tiles.

I love the artwork of the tiles (though not the new version obviously  >:D  >:D), and to me a signed tile is a ruined tile. I also don't have any spare tiles, so I'd have to order a tile and then 'ruin' it to contribute to this project.

So, I'm not sure what to do.

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2015, 04:31:38 AM »
I suppose beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I don't think KJW will see it as a ruined tile as it's all about the gesture and showing a bit of appreciation for the game and for his ongoing support over the years.

Now I feel bad about that signed tile I sent you! :P

Offline jungleboy

• Viscount Chevalier
  • Merit: 89
  • Nine points!
    • View Profile
    • Spirit of the Camino
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2015, 04:43:59 AM »
I suppose beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I don't think KJW will see it as a ruined tile as it's all about the gesture and showing a bit of appreciation for the game and for his ongoing support over the years.

Yes that's true. As someone who has signed many tiles over the years, I'm sure he will appreciate it. But I'm trying to be selfish here!  >:D

Now I feel bad about that signed tile I sent you! :P

Haha, not at all. I can use it for your giveaway next year.

Offline Frommarn91

• Villein
  • Merit: 2
  • Meep! Meep!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2015, 05:34:26 AM »
I like this idea a lot! I'm pondering if my girlfriend and I should take the lake and spring tiles from The River I and sign them so you have the possibility to build at least one river... :) But then I would have to buy an extra river or order from Cundco. What do you all think?

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
xx
Carcassonne celebrates its 15th birthday! Celebrates with us!

Started by kettlefish

9 Replies
Last post April 14, 2016, 11:17:06 PM
by Rosco
xx
KJW-Signed Tile Giveaway

Started by danisthirty

79 Replies
Last post September 24, 2018, 01:15:18 PM
by Chartreusito
xx
Ask KJW your questions about Carcassonne components!

Started by jungleboy

7 Replies
Last post April 01, 2017, 08:56:28 AM
by Decar
xx
Clarification of rules (Watchtowers and double tiles) - with KJW - 09 10 2022

Started by Meepledrone

17 Replies
Last post December 20, 2022, 11:17:21 AM
by Meepledrone
xx
Interview with KJW (by HiG)