Author Topic: My first Discovery session  (Read 7611 times)

Offline CKorfmann

• Authors
  • Count Chevalier
  • Merit: 39
  • Pigs are meeple too.
    • View Profile
My first Discovery session
« on: September 08, 2013, 04:33:23 PM »
Played Discovery for the first time today.  It was interesting.  I'm not sure what my opinion is on it yet, mostly because they guy who taught me has been playing wrong the whole time.  I suspected something was wrong when we were scoring 40 and 50 points for mountains by the end of the game.  They kept saying how they couldn't figure out why they always scored over 300 points per game.  I guess that's why.  I'll have to play it again to really have an opinion, but I do like the extra large feature in the water.  Make me think that I might enjoy playing with the Forests. 

Linkback: https://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/index.php?topic=424.0
Flee the fleas.

Offline Carcking

• Duke Chevalier
  • Merit: 33
  • I call Red!
    • View Profile
Re: My first Discovery session
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2013, 08:29:54 AM »
Haha - sometimes it can be frustrating learning a game from certain other people. You have a sense they are playing wrong and you just want to get your hands on the rule book. You can't wait till you can read it later...  ::)
I just drew the perfect tile for my MonKnighThieFarmer!

Offline Tacita

• La folia!
  • Viscount
  • Merit: 18
  • The last cookie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2013, 08:53:55 AM »
Played Discovery for the first time today.  It was interesting.  I'm not sure what my opinion is on it yet, mostly because they guy who taught me has been playing wrong the whole time.  I suspected something was wrong when we were scoring 40 and 50 points for mountains by the end of the game.  They kept saying how they couldn't figure out why they always scored over 300 points per game.  I guess that's why.  I'll have to play it again to really have an opinion, but I do like the extra large feature in the water.  Make me think that I might enjoy playing with the Forests.
Did they play that mountains themselves yielded points? It is - I guess - an understandable mistake, but rather game-changing.

Discovery is the most different (well, except Kids) version and I really like it a lot. The funny thing is that it was more or less marketed as a simpler version, while in truth it is very strategic and can even bring out the AP-monster now and then!
"We do not want to make someone buy a whole set just to get a few new cards. We like our fans!" - Donald X Vaccarino

Link

Offline CKorfmann

• Authors
  • Count Chevalier
  • Merit: 39
  • Pigs are meeple too.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2013, 01:04:25 PM »
No, they didn't count tiles for mountains, but they counted cities for mountains across the board.  That is, they continuted across connected land masses including all the mountians.  So, by the end of the game, the central landmass had 21 cities connected to it so we were scoring 42 points in the last couple turns of the game.  It didn't take long to figure out that we were doing it wrong, but we finished the game that way anyway and then I asked to look at the rulebook and pointed out the error. 

Offline Carcking

• Duke Chevalier
  • Merit: 33
  • I call Red!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2013, 09:42:06 AM »
...and then I asked to look at the rulebook and pointed out the error.

:D   :(y)

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
xx
First game with Carcassonne The Discovery

Started by aenima

3 Replies
Last post August 09, 2015, 12:19:04 PM
by Decar
xx
First Mists Over Carcassonne Session Reports

Started by Whaleyland

10 Replies
Last post January 10, 2023, 06:05:18 AM