Author Topic: Testing out the divisional league  (Read 15581 times)

Offline TheSteveAllen

• Marquis
  • Merit: 25
  • Power to the Meeple!
    • View Profile
Re: Testing out the divisional league
« Reply #60 on: November 12, 2018, 08:54:54 AM »
Third time lucky!! I knew that this points system would be tough.

I believe that this one is correct now, as the points add up horizontally as well as vertically.

Offline TheSteveAllen

• Marquis
  • Power to the Meeple!
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: November 12, 2018, 03:18:00 PM »
I managed to lose this match with my very last tile. Instead of paying the tower ransom, I stupidly kept on to my points without claiming the last 3 point road that would have won me the game 3-2 instead of losing it by 3-2, as I did. This has certainly been a good lesson in that the idea is to win league points, and not necessarily win the game. The extra 3 points for the road would have made a 6 point difference to the score, but would have given me the extra 3 points to win the road battle 23-21, instead of losing it by 21-20.

The game itself was great fun. Pedro seems to have mastered the art of keeping out of the way of towers. Either that, or he was more lucky that a Portuguese man deserves.

Every time I thought that I was in with a shout of winning the main farm, he managed to pull out the appropriate tower piece to take my farmer prisoner. This happened a few times and I assumed that he would eventually run out of tower pieces, which was not the case.

He somehow managed to totally eliminate the Count of Carcassonne, except for 1 instance that allowed me to share an 8 point city.

Thanks for the game Pedro. A well deserved win, but I really should have won that road battle. It will not happen again.

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
  • Merit: 293
  • "First to 4 points wins?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 12, 2018, 03:45:33 PM »
The game itself was great fun. Pedro seems to have mastered the art of keeping out of the way of towers. Either that, or he was more lucky that a Portuguese man deserves.

This all sounds strangely familiar!

Well done to both players on what sounds like a fun and exciting clash!

Offline TheSteveAllen

• Marquis
  • Power to the Meeple!
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: November 12, 2018, 04:00:51 PM »

This all sounds strangely familiar!

Well done to both players on what sounds like a fun and exciting clash!

Every game that I have played in this league has been so interesting and different to any other game of Carcassonne that I have played before. The major difference is that the 1 point for a win makes the importance of winning each feature so important in comparison to winning the game. I am a bit upset, for the sake of the testing, that I did not win the road battle tonight. I would have been very good to illustrate that you can lose the game, and still win the match (if that makes any sense whatsoever).

I really hope that newcomers will give this version of the game a try out.

Offline TheSteveAllen

• Marquis
  • Power to the Meeple!
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: November 13, 2018, 01:26:01 AM »
Here is the updated league table including last night's match.

Offline Rich_The_Fish

• Marquis
  • Merit: 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: November 13, 2018, 03:13:31 PM »
Thanks for the great game Chooselife. I love (and hate) Towers, it's so brutal! A very close fought game

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: November 13, 2018, 03:51:13 PM »

My game with Rich ^

I think it's a bit late to do much of an analysis on this one, and I still need to put the bins out before I can go to bed. But it was a great game that could have gone either way for match winning point.

My main tactic seemed to revolve around trapping Rich's meeples. This worked to some extent but I struggled to trap any of his monks, which combined with the number of cloisters he drew meant I couldn't compete with him here. 35 - 0 to Rich got him a well-deserved point for cloisters.

I'm surprised that I won most points for cities as it seemed to me that Rich focused more on cities than I did. And especially since he had several meeples trapped in cities it just looked as though he had most points coming to him. The majority of my city points came from small cities that I closed in an attempt to grow my farm, but I also managed a somewhat larger city (7 tiles - winning me the King token) thanks to some favourable tile draws towards the middle of the game. A point for me.

I was equally surprised that Rich outscored me on roads as I was looking to complete as many of these as possible after closing the longest road and taking the Robber Baron token for my efforts. He must have snuck a few long roads when I was looking the other way though, so it was a crafty point for Rich in this respect.

We never really fought over farms which was a little surprising. I hadn't intended to end up with 2 farmers on the main farm but Rich merged the second one on during one of his crazed-cloister completing quests with perhaps about 20 tiles to go. He claimed a couple of other farms elsewhere though, and I took one as well which gave me the edge in farm points. So in terms of features we were quite even with both of us winning the majority in 2 of the 4 key areas.

Owing largely to Rich's magnificent 35 - 0 thrashing in terms of cloisters I spent the second half of the game trailing as I watched Rich begin to slip off into the distance. I wasn't sure what I'd done wrong; trap meeples? Check. Win main farm? Check. What made the ultimate difference for me was, as always, the inclusion of King & Robber Baron. With my 7-tile city and a 5-tile road (I think) I won both of these bonuses and wouldn't have been able to win the game without both of them. This meant the final point, for winning the match, went to me, and the final score was 3 - 2 in my favour. It wouldn't have taken much for things to have been very different for either of us, but that's just Carcassonne.

Thanks for the game Rich! :) :(y) Now to do the bins...

Offline TheSteveAllen

• Marquis
  • Power to the Meeple!
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: November 13, 2018, 04:01:56 PM »
A +1 merit from me for a perfect description of how this league works. It is all about winning the separate parts, not the game itself. Looks like an interesting night has been had by all involved.

Offline TheSteveAllen

• Marquis
  • Power to the Meeple!
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: November 14, 2018, 01:43:39 AM »
League table update. Lots of shuffling for final positions has started now.

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: November 14, 2018, 02:44:05 AM »
A +1 merit from me for a perfect description of how this league works.

Thanks the Steve. :(y)

And thanks for all your efforts in bringing your tournament ideas to the wider community!

Offline Jéré

• Chatelain
  • Merit: 62
    • View Profile
Testing out the divisional league
« Reply #70 on: November 15, 2018, 12:51:59 AM »
Have we seen yet a situation where the winner of the game gets less league points than the loser? I can see that happening in a very tight game where for instance the loser of the game would win the roads, cities and cloisters by a very narrow margin and the winner would get the main field worth a lot. Results 2-3 for the winner of the game. Not saying its bad, just interesting and thats the purpose of this new scoring system I guess.

Offline TheSteveAllen

• Marquis
  • Power to the Meeple!
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: November 15, 2018, 01:14:46 AM »
Have we seen yet a situation where the winner of the game gets less league points than the loser? I can see that happening in a very tight game where for instance the loser of the game would win the roads, cities and cloisters by a very narrow margin and the winner would get the main field worth a lot. Results 2-3 for the winner of the game. Not saying its bad, just interesting and thats the purpose of this new scoring system I guess.

It nearly happened in my test game against Chooselife a few nights ago where, if I had managed to get an extra 2 points on a road, I would have won the match 3-2, despite losing the game. I was rather frustrated that I did not manage this, as I was trying to illustrate your exact point.

Offline Rosco

• Duke Chevalier
  • Merit: 41
  • Racing, and playing hard!
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: November 15, 2018, 07:04:07 AM »
I can play tonight - anyone available?

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk

Just lay the damn tile!

Offline Halfling

• Chatelain
  • Merit: 49
  • Welcome tournament 2015 winner.
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: November 16, 2018, 02:27:16 PM »
Thanks for the game RTF and thanks for hosting TSA
The Geek shall inherit the earth if we get a good die role

Offline Halfling

• Chatelain
  • Merit: 49
  • Welcome tournament 2015 winner.
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: November 16, 2018, 03:25:54 PM »
Thanks for the game Rosco, and thanks for hosting Steve.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
xx
The Carcassonne Divisional League

Started by TheSteveAllen

12 Replies
Last post December 22, 2018, 10:56:11 AM
by jungleboy
xx
The Carcassonne Central Divisional League - Spring Season

Started by TheSteveAllen

28 Replies
Last post March 04, 2019, 03:04:41 AM
by Chooselife
xx
The Carcassonne Central Divisional League - Summer 2019

Started by TheSteveAllen

27 Replies
Last post June 02, 2019, 03:44:17 PM
by TheSteveAllen
xx
The Carcassonne Central Divisional League

Started by TheSteveAllen

84 Replies
Last post November 24, 2018, 12:02:45 PM
by TheSteveAllen
xx
What to do with Carcassonne Tile Press Out Sheets...

Started by chris6507

12 Replies
Last post January 29, 2023, 04:45:22 AM
by DIN0