Poll

Which version(s) of the halflings do you own or want to own?

I own both versions.
51 (82.3%)
I own one version, but I think you need both for a complete collection.
5 (8.1%)
I own one version (which one?) and that's enough for my collection.
1 (1.6%)
I don't own either version but I want one or both.
4 (6.5%)
I don't own either version and I'm not interested in this expansion.
1 (1.6%)
Other (please explain below).
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 62

Author Topic: Completionism Poll #9: The Halflings  (Read 12122 times)

Offline jungleboy

• Viscount Chevalier
  • Merit: 89
  • Nine points!
    • View Profile
    • Spirit of the Camino
Completionism Poll #9: The Halflings
« on: March 07, 2016, 02:36:20 AM »
The Completionism Poll is a weekly series where we ask how much of a completionist you are by breaking the game down into different expansions and elements. This week we look at the Halflings.

The Halflings is a unique expansion not only because it features triangular tiles, but because two different versions were released at the same time, unlike other two-version expansions such as Crop Circles, Wind Roses and the River. This fact and the relatively recent release date (2014) make it quite easy to own both expansions, unlike, say, the Crop Circles.

Halflings 1 (released through Spielbox Magazine) features the Spielbox pentagon watermark and none of the 12 tiles have any features relating to other expansions on them. Halflings II (released through HiG's Cundco store) features the Carcassonne meeple watermark. Four of the Halflings II tiles contain features from other expansions: three from Hills and Sheep (a vineyard, a sheep and a hill) and one from Crop Circles, this time with a 'wildcard' crop circle.

So, do you own both of these? Is one of them enough for a complete expansion? If you feel you need both, is it purely for completionism, for variety (i.e. changing which set you use), or for practical purposes, i.e playing with both sets at once or playing Halflings II with the appropriate expansions?

Linkback: https://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/index.php?topic=2515.0
« Last Edit: March 07, 2016, 02:48:32 AM by jungleboy »

Offline hunnymonster

• Duke
  • Merit: 11
  • An ugly bag of mainly water
    • View Profile
    • The Shaving Room - a UK-based community for traditional grooming
Re: Completionism Poll #9: The Halflings
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2016, 02:41:18 AM »
I have both - but it's for practical reasons...
Whatever it is, it's probably in the post from Germany...

Offline Paul

• Marquis Chevalier
  • Merit: 86
    • View Profile
    • sydby.com
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2016, 03:22:07 AM »
I own one (Spielbox) and also believe both versions are needed to feel that sense of completion. This, even if they where identical with only different watermark. :)
World record holder for a single game of Carcassonne using 10 007 tiles!

Offline JT Atomico

• Marquis
  • Merit: 61
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2016, 08:04:23 AM »
I own both and definitely think they are different enough to be "required" for a complete collection.

I think that the Halfling tiles are a great addition to the game, they bring a really interesting new option to the gameplay and look pretty cool!

Offline ARabidMeerkat

• Count
  • Merit: 2
  • To play or not to play... that is the question!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2016, 08:59:37 AM »
We own both and really can't play without them all included due to their variety and versatility. I don't think you need to both for a complete collection, but having both really makes games more interesting (also, both can be easily obtained!)
If only I had another Halfling.....

Offline dirk2112

• Baron
  • Merit: 43
  • Filled with caffeine and hyperbole
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2016, 11:00:16 AM »
I am the lone voter who doesn't own either.   I think I will pick up Halb So Wild II the next time I order something from Cundco.  I'm not sure how often new min-expansions show up on the site, so it may be a while before I get them. 

Offline Christopher

• Count
  • Merit: 12
  • It's not the years, it's the mileage.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2016, 12:15:12 PM »
Ooh, Halflings! Given the different tile configurations and the different watermarks, I consider these both essential for completion. They seem to be different expansions, they just happen to have a common theme in the triangular configuration. And thanks to the ease of acquisition of these two, I have both!

It is also nice for practical purposes. When playing very large games, we give players an extra one or even two halflings.

I haven't yet posted in the Halfling Element of the Week. This must be rectified...
Look to the north. Keep looking. There's nothing coming from the south.

Offline Halfling

• Chatelain
  • Merit: 49
  • Welcome tournament 2015 winner.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2016, 01:33:36 PM »
The best mini expansions ever.  Obviously.

Both owned.
The Geek shall inherit the earth if we get a good die role

Offline Christopher

• Count
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2016, 01:38:06 PM »
I've just finished a post in the Halflings Element of the Week thread. It's so useful getting your thoughts written down, isn't it?

The other reason having both expansions is important for completion is because of how differently they play!

Offline Safari

• Count
  • Merit: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2016, 03:24:17 PM »
Boy, that one is a clear one! I owe both versions too and consider them two different parts of the same expansion.
Safari

(\__/)
 (O.o )
 (> < )
 This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination.

Offline jungleboy

• Viscount Chevalier
  • Merit: 89
  • Nine points!
    • View Profile
    • Spirit of the Camino
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2016, 04:02:04 AM »
Well, this one was a bit of a slam dunk, as I expected. Basically, everyone wants both sets of halflings!

Meanwhile, I'd like to make a small announcement about the completionism polls. Firstly, thank you to everyone for voting and contributing so far; the response has been greater than I anticipated!

As a 'light' or 'functional' completionist, I wanted to raise what I call the 'mainstream' completionism issues, such as the River (III), the three versions of Cathars/Siege/Besiegers etc, and see what others thought about these. The variety of answers and the interesting discussions were great to see.

Now that these 'mainstream' completionism issues have been discussed, we're moving into a new phase of completionism and favouritism, e.g. the exciting world of missing watermarks and River tiles with weird code on the back! And for this, I will defer to Decar, who is fast becoming one of the foremost experts on Carcassonne completionism. He has some great ideas for taking completionism and favouritism even further, so look out for some new threads soon!
« Last Edit: March 11, 2016, 04:05:19 AM by jungleboy »

Offline Christopher

• Count
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2016, 05:06:44 AM »
Thank you for running these threads, Jungleboy, it's been a blast. I will be bowing out now, however, as I fall into the 'light(ish) completionist' camp. I have little interest in coded rivers, and my interest in missing watermarks extends only to replacing sets that I have which are missing them, for ease of sorting. I don't need to own both versions of a tile, I would prefer to have the watermarked versions.

So long, and thanks for all the fish.

Offline Decar

• Owner
  • Chatelain Grand Officier
  • Merit: 317
  • Shut up and take my money!
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2016, 10:19:39 AM »
The fun doesn't end here - We're just changing the spin a little and asking you a new Question:

What's your favourite Scoring Track?

Offline egamar

• Nobleman
  • Merit: 4
  • I haven't much in my profile yet!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2016, 08:19:21 AM »
They are very strange; by far not my favourite, but I own both.  Well, obviously: you kinda hafta.
Agricola was my gateway game. Carcassonne became my game of choice.

Offline dirk2112

• Baron
  • Merit: 43
  • Filled with caffeine and hyperbole
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2016, 11:37:35 AM »
I am considering the purchase of the halflings expansions.  One thing has me scratching my head.   What is the value of the full city tile with shield on Halflings II?  It seems like it would be used 95% of the time to prevent someone else from finishing a city.   I can't imagine a likely scenario where that shield would turn into points unless you are playing Abbey and Mayor. 

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
exclamation
Completionism Poll #10 - Favouritism Poll #3 : Die Schule

Started by Decar

33 Replies
Last post September 21, 2023, 06:39:35 AM
by Meles
xx
Halflings I or Halflings II

Started by stalcupojoy

6 Replies
Last post January 11, 2016, 01:49:58 PM