• Owner
  • Chatelain Grand Officier
  • Merit: 317
  • Shut up and take my money!
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net
Kodama
« on: May 27, 2016, 12:37:24 PM »
A trip to one of my FLGs today: we picked up Kodama: The Tree Spirits and had chance to play it this evening.

This game oozes class.  The mechanics are simple.  The scoring is fast.  The artwork is gorgeous. The game is nice and short.

At the start of the game, each player randomly selected a tree trunk and you take turn to select cards which depict branches of a tree; having selected a branch you must place it on your tree so: no card overlaps more than one card & cards don't overlap features and cards don't go under the base of your trunk.  The cards have features on them: mushrooms, caterpillars, stars, flowers, fireflies and clouds - you score one point for each feature that appears on the card and all the way down to the trunk of your tree following a contiguous path.  There are some additional rules such as: not being allowed to score more than 10 points - so you don't make a huge line, etc.

The game is broken into 3 seasons of 4 turns, with a kodama scoring phase at the end of each season.  Kodama are japanese tree spirits, whose job is to look after the forest.  They are powerful scoring cards that give you big bonuses for achieving their goals.  The player is given 4 at the start of the game and uses 3 of them during the game; which gives flexibility to any tactics, being followed.

At the start of each season a decree is drawn, which applies a short term affect to the season - adding extra variety.

This game really appeals to the builder in me.  That part of the psyche that makes you want to finish your Carcassonne cities vs playing the best move.  The game is very light and there's very little opportunity to 'hate-draft' or ways disrupt the other players' trees.  For some this may be the only negative part of the game - it's not very aggressive.  If you can accept that you're in for a light-hearted treat.

Every detail of this game is classy - The 1st player kodama-meeple & the 3 Kodama the winner is given to place on their tree to celebrate their victory are awesome touches.

Here's my winning tree:

That Caterpillar branched scored me a lot of points in the last round - 4 points for every card that touches it that has a caterpillar on it.

My wife's tree (was somewhat wonky - but the branches were above ground at least):

Here you can see one of the Kodama cards too - which earned 20 points in the final around!

Here's a quick shot of the table too:

You can see the lovely score track, decree cards and the available branch-cards at the end of the game.

As a final note, there are some 'sprout' Kodama cards which are much easier to score - these were aimed at children - we took them out of our game, but are a very nice addition for a family game.  I would strongly recommend this variant for anyone with children beyond 'Kids of Carcassonne' but not quite ready for full 'Carcassonne'.

This is top of the list of games I really, really, really wished I backed during the kickstarter campaign!

Edit: I forgot to add:

I can see this game receiving some great expansions or variants in the future too.  Perhaps, a 4th season for longer games.  Games where you swap trees between seasons.  Additional Kodama or scoring opportunities all spring to mind!

Linkback: https://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/index.php?topic=2757.0
« Last Edit: May 27, 2016, 12:41:01 PM by Decar »

Offline jungleboy

• Viscount Chevalier
  • Merit: 89
  • Nine points!
    • View Profile
    • Spirit of the Camino
Re: Kodama
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2016, 01:11:21 PM »
Great review Decar, glad you like the game! I saw the Drive Thru review of this a while back and was a bit intrigued (it's on my 'Considering' list). It seems like jungle girl might like it, so maybe I'll 'consider' it some more.  O0

Offline Decar

• Owner
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2016, 02:15:32 PM »
It's definitely worth upgrading Jungleboy - I'm not really one for thematic games, but there's something special about this one.  The artwork & mechanics made both of us smile while we were playing.  It's lighthearted and fast; I suspect some variants will crop up to appeal to the more strategically minded.

Offline dirk2112

• Baron
  • Merit: 43
  • Filled with caffeine and hyperbole
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2016, 05:46:59 PM »
Thanks for the review.  I think this would be something my wife would like.  Unfortunately I was looking at reviews and seeing this compared to a similar game called "Kigi".  I'm not sure which to get.

This designer has another interesting game called Koi.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2016, 07:10:07 PM by dirk2112 »

Offline Decar

• Owner
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2016, 07:58:21 PM »
Kigi is the print on demand game by the same designer. The rules are slightly different as you can play into any tree to score and the commission cards behave differently.

Offline jungleboy

• Viscount Chevalier
  • Merit: 89
  • Nine points!
    • View Profile
    • Spirit of the Camino
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2016, 10:34:51 PM »
Thanks for the review.  I think this would be something my wife would like.  Unfortunately I was looking at reviews and seeing this compared to a similar game called "Kigi".  I'm not sure which to get.

The Drive Thru Review of Kodama makes some comparisons with Kigi starting at the 6:25 mark (though the whole review is worth watching).

He also reviewed Kigi separately:

Offline dirk2112

• Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2016, 06:07:47 AM »
Zee Garcia mentions Kigi in his Kodama review.

Basically Kodama is the more robust game.  Kigi has brighter artwork because it takes place in the day rather than night.  The trees in Kigi get pruned if you score 10 points or more with a placement.  You can't do that in Kodama.  If you like the night theming and bigger trees, Kodama is the game for you. If you like the daytime theme and being able to screw other players I think Kigi may be the way to go.  Both games look fun, but I doubt you need them both.

What is the downside to print on demand?
« Last Edit: May 28, 2016, 06:09:23 AM by dirk2112 »

Offline Decar

• Owner
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2016, 06:12:25 AM »
I suspect Kodama would support the Kigi rules. One criticism of Kigi is it's hard to tell if your actually damaging your opponent's flower if you're not aware of the commissions, but they might be played open - I'm not sure.

I've just ordered LightRail - loving the artwork.

Offline Valheru

• Marquis
  • Merit: 19
  • More tiles, less rules!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2016, 09:18:26 AM »
Thank you for this great review. Was looking for a new, pretty light, cardgame to play with some friend and this fits perfectly. Merit to you!
"In his house at R'lyeh, dead Cthulhu waits dreaming..."

Offline Chooselife

• Viscount
  • Merit: 25
  • Just Ask
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2016, 04:02:00 AM »
I backed this one from the (Kick)start and it is a great game to play. :(y)
We few, we happy few, we band of brothers; For he today that sheds his blood with me, Shall be my brother;

Offline dirk2112

• Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2017, 07:50:17 AM »
We saw this at the local store.  My wife prefers the Kodama artwork to that of Kigi, so I chose poorly.

Good news for me though is I don't have to spend my money on the card pack promo or the wooden Kodama meeple. http://boardgamegeekstore.com/products/copy-of-kodama-the-tree-spirits-wooden-first-player-meeple

As far as meeples go, that is pretty sweet.  Not worth the $3 plus shipping, but cool nonetheless.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2017, 07:55:23 AM by dirk2112 »

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter