Author Topic: Carcassonne - new Edition - Is that true?  (Read 134892 times)

Offline Paul

• Marquis Chevalier
  • Merit: 86
    • View Profile
    • sydby.com
Re: Carcassonne - new Edition - Is that true?
« Reply #195 on: September 27, 2014, 01:30:40 AM »
I just read through Mortiz's post on CarcF. I wasn't able to understand everything, but I think I got 90% of it. In the Big Box thread I said I would never buy a Big Box, but now that I'm thinking more about the new artwork, I would be interested to buy a Big Box version with all new artwork.

I don't think we should be stressing out about things which are not firmly decided yet. However, I do think it's valid for us to express our concerns about the future of our favorite game. Even better would be a collaborative discussion between ourselves and the publishers. I see an opportunity to do some things differently with this new era of Carcassonne than what happened in the past. Maybe this time around, Spielbox won't get exclusive expansions that the other publishers can't sell. Maybe this time around there won't be a Catapult.

As with any work of art, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I like both the old art style as well as the new art style. Of course, my preference is for the old art style because I've been living with it for the past decade, but if the new art style will help the game remain popular for the next generation of gamers, then I'm supportive of it.

I don't mind the re-release of the Catapult. Just leave out the wooden catapult, all those tokens, put in a few more tiles and some new rules.  ;)
I think I'd prefer a retheme of the Catapult to be something like "The Travellers" or something suggestive of Gypsies/Roma. That would emphasize the tent aspect of the fair tiles rather than the catapult. The various tokens also need a repurposing. I still don't like the current alternate rules. Perhaps simply trying to toss the tiles onto the board would work.

I cherish my collection. There is no tossing of my tiles or tokens, especially not onto other tiles!

There is a gypsy variant posted on this forum, I believe. Maybesomething worth pursuing.
World record holder for a single game of Carcassonne using 10 007 tiles!

Offline CKorfmann

• Authors
  • Count Chevalier
  • Merit: 39
  • Pigs are meeple too.
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: September 27, 2014, 10:19:30 AM »
I think it was Joff that had an expansion called the Jester and the Minstrel that works pretty well with this expansion. 
Flee the fleas.

Offline CarcAddict

• Labourer
  • Merit: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: September 27, 2014, 12:29:54 PM »
I loved old edition, had many expansions for it.

But unfortunatelly I've lost all my collection to a dishonest (ex)friend.

Now buying everything back and catching up with new and limited expansions looks like overwhelming task (How could I buyback Tunnels ans Cult, Siege and Creativity for reasonable price ?).

I look forward to new edition as a fresh start and new life of Carcassonne for me.

I really love that new base game includes features that could be used by future expansions (gardens, piggsty, cottages and towers ine cities). This was always the problem with "old" Carcassone, no matter how many expansions you added, you still had those 72 boring tiles from base game :(.

New art looks good and I feel it might be a change for a better. I hope that future expansion will be more playtested and interact better with each other.

Offline mas9dj

• Nobleman
  • Merit: 7
  • I haven't updated my profile yet!
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: October 05, 2014, 03:20:39 AM »
I just had an idea, a what if... Appart from all reasons they gave us to make a new edition, I was wondering if the old edition represented old carcassonne and the new one is intended to represent current age carcassonne. This may sound silly but the darmstadd expansion gave me this idea, like "what if this is modern carcassonne", and maybe they have plenty of new themes to explore for future expansions, not just medieval ones. Of course I'm being absolutely crazy here, since they already have carcassonne around the world to make stuff like theme-change. I just wanted to share this crazy thought xD
Gotta catch 'em all

Offline Tacita

• La folia!
  • Viscount
  • Merit: 18
  • The last cookie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: October 10, 2014, 05:40:08 PM »
Moritz Brunnhofer from HiG will answer himself here at CarcC.

But he need some time to translate it in the correct form.

Please wait.
Has there been enough time to "translate it in the correct form" yet? Or are they just ignoring us as usual?

Almost three weeks later ...
"We do not want to make someone buy a whole set just to get a few new cards. We like our fans!" - Donald X Vaccarino

Link

Offline Darwin

• Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: October 20, 2014, 04:08:36 AM »
The rules for Carcassonne - New Edition in German are now available as a PDF at Cundo:
Rules for the base game
Rules for the expansions

My German is not very good. I couldn’t get the grip of the rules for the new abbot, even with google translate .  >:(

Offline Fritz_Spinne

• Authors
  • Viscount
  • Merit: 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: October 20, 2014, 04:57:16 AM »
You can place the Abbot on a cloister or a garden.

If you don't place a follower on a tile, you can take back the Abbot.

Score 9 points if the cloister or garden with the abbot is surrounded with 8 tiles or - if you took him back without completing - as many points as there are surrounding tiles + 1.

Offline Whaleyland

• Great Khan
  • Global Moderator
  • Marquis Chevalier
  • Merit: 101
  • Toulouse: Carcassonne's insignificant neighbor.
    • View Profile
    • Derek R. Whaley, PhD | Librarian, Historian, and Writer
« Reply #202 on: October 20, 2014, 05:03:59 AM »

Score 9 points if the cloister or garden with the abbot is surrounded with 8 tiles or - if you took him back without completing - as many points as there are surrounding tiles + 1.
I hope these figures release separately because I'd totally buy them just to use with the cloisters. In games with expansions, there are enough cloisters for this to work. Perhaps use the vineyards as gardens also.

Offline Darwin

• Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: October 20, 2014, 05:19:34 AM »

I hope these figures release separately because I'd totally buy them just to use with the cloisters. In games with expansions, there are enough cloisters for this to work. Perhaps use the vineyards as gardens also.

Yes, this could be interesting to use with the “old” Car. Feel I am “drowning” in cloisters, so this “little twist” with the Abbot might be a nice addition to make them more attractive.

Offline Fritz_Spinne

• Authors
  • Viscount
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: October 20, 2014, 05:56:36 AM »

I made some garden tiles for the old designed Carcassonne, look here at CarcassonneForum:
http://carcassonne-forum.de/viewtopic.php?f=86&t=2054

I suggested to call the follower a gardener, I will use another special figure for it and will use the abbot on German cloisters as abbot (only one for every player) - they should be avalaible as spare part at cundco shop.

Offline Rosco

• Duke Chevalier
  • Merit: 41
  • Racing, and playing hard!
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: October 20, 2014, 07:41:28 AM »
Could you upload them here too for those of us that don't have CF accounts?
Just lay the damn tile!

Offline Fritz_Spinne

• Authors
  • Viscount
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: October 20, 2014, 08:11:00 AM »
The Garden Tiles are now in the downloads section. Have fun with it.
I made two tiles extra to hold balance: on the left side the 3rd and 4th.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2014, 08:12:50 AM by Fritz_Spinne »

Offline CKorfmann

• Authors
  • Count Chevalier
  • Merit: 39
  • Pigs are meeple too.
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: October 20, 2014, 09:35:47 AM »
I've come to the conclusion that I'm glad that there is a new addition that is different.  That means that the end is in sight and I can stop when the first edition is done.

Offline aenima

• Viscount
  • Merit: 37
  • !!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: October 20, 2014, 12:16:33 PM »
thank Fritz_Spinne!
your idea is very good!
I think you can make the river tile with the garden... I really like the idea that when I use this expansion I can put the normal 8 tiles with the other of the game and, if I play with the river, I can replace the tile from normal river with the river tile with the garden... it seems like the river from the BB5 whit sheeps and hills element!
and also... I think that to use the abbot meeple on the cloister it give a limit to the expansion... the abbot is still one for player, so... I think the abbot can be used with this garder like Carcassonne 2, but maybe in the normal carcassonne, to not confuse it with the normal abbot of the cloister, it can be called... mmm... I don't know... the Cardinal? the Pope of Carcassonne? I can imagine a cardinal, a pope or I don't know, an eminent figure of the church that make his tour around the churchs and the gardens of a city...  :o

Offline Whaleyland

• Great Khan
  • Global Moderator
  • Marquis Chevalier
  • Merit: 101
  • Toulouse: Carcassonne's insignificant neighbor.
    • View Profile
    • Derek R. Whaley, PhD | Librarian, Historian, and Writer
« Reply #209 on: October 20, 2014, 03:27:20 PM »
Probably not The Pope, even though he was housed in Avignon for much of this time period of this game. Perhaps The Cardinal would be best.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
xx
6th expansion Count, King and Robber (German edition) for new edition is on sale

Started by ozgurceylan

24 Replies
Last post July 17, 2017, 08:27:58 AM
by Just a Bill
xx
WTB: Carcassonne Limited Edition and Limited Edition Die Märkte zu Leipzig

Started by Frans0

0 Replies
Last post February 12, 2022, 09:13:14 AM
by Frans0
xx
Carcassonne first edition?? Is it first edition?

Started by JoeSesquipedalian

10 Replies
Last post May 28, 2016, 01:07:24 PM
by Halfling
xx
Carcassonne Expansion 6 new edition

Started by Gabrielgeek01

27 Replies
Last post July 01, 2018, 11:18:34 PM
by Decar
clip
Carcassonne Expansion 9 new edition