Author Topic: 2017 Basegame League - Round 7  (Read 7273 times)

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
  • Merit: 293
  • "First to 4 points wins?"
    • View Profile
2017 Basegame League - Round 7
« on: April 21, 2017, 07:12:46 AM »
ROUND 7

Start date: Now! (21st April 2017)
End date: 4th May 2017 - any matches not played by the end of this date will be forfeited... :( :(n)
(parent thread)

Match 49: khalidqasrawi vs. What If? (tie)
Match 50: Hounk vs. Jéré
Match 51: Chooselife vs. TheSteveAllen
Match 52: Merlin_89 vs. Rosco (2 - 0 to Merlin_89)
Match 53: Leven vs. MrNumbers (tie)
Match 54: Adrornalin vs. glh510 (tie)
Match 55: danisthirty vs. Rich_The_Fish (2 - 0 to danisthirty)
(sitting out): Halfling (sorry) :(

Please use this thread to post scores, screenshots and post-match reports. Good luck everyone!

Linkback: https://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/index.php?topic=3267.0
« Last Edit: May 02, 2017, 02:51:02 AM by MrNumbers »

Offline What If?

• Nobleman
  • Merit: 12
  • Carcasstoned
    • View Profile
Re: 2017 Basegame League - Round 7
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2017, 09:02:46 AM »
Match 49, Set 1.

WhatIf-KhalidQ 81-78

Strange game where few cities were finished, so no farmers developed until very late in the game. WhatIfs farmer meeple gave two more small cities in the end and decided the game.

After KhalidQ unchallenged took the city in the SE corner, I thought the game was lost. I was utterly surprised by winning.

Maybe I shouldn´t buy kathars, what would I do next?

Offline glh510

• Nobleman
  • Merit: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2017, 11:35:37 AM »
Match 54:
2 fast Games. I still wonder what happened in the second game. I was behind all the way and nearly all meeples blocked :-\

1. Game: GLH510 (Home) : Adror  119:91
2. Game: Adror (Home) : GLH510  107:80

Offline khalidqasrawi

• Duke
  • Merit: 9
  • Never deplete - always complete
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2017, 11:44:15 AM »
khalidqasrawi  :red-meeple: 129 : 100  :black1-meeple: WhatIf

Second game.  WhatIf lay an early claim to the farm with 2 meeples on each fragment before they joined up.  I also had to work hard to contain his knights on the large city to the left which he ultimately completed, glomming me in in the process, because he was dominant on the farm at that point.  I had a mediocre middle game, mostly spent trying to orphan his meeples, but with no great success.  The turning point came when I made the bid for the farm which ultimately I won.

It often seems to happen that it's not so much winning the attack that wins the game but the defendant losing.  In this game, WhatIf fought hard to defend "his" farm.  At the point at which I launched the attack, I felt I was losing and yet, even if we had drawn the farm I would have won: I finished the game more points ahead than the farm was worth.  I think so often, we focus so hard on the big win but actually the small cities, roads etc are often uncontested.  Especially 4 point cities.  They are the best!

Offline Adrornalin

• Duke
  • Merit: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2017, 03:12:05 AM »
Thanks for playing and posting the scores, GLH510. Fast and good games with a clear winner in both games. Good luck for round 8.

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2017, 02:37:08 PM »
I played my match with Rich_The_Fish this evening:

Game 1: :blue-meeple: danisthirty (started) 106 - 70 Rich_The_Fish :red-meeple:

We played this game very quickly and it was over before it had really begun. The early part of the game involved a lot of roads which I tried in vain to steal, and very few city tiles. Once the cities started coming though, they came thick and fast. Rich took a couple of risks which didn't pay off and as such he ended up losing 4 meeples (2 in a city for 6 points, another in a cloister for 8 points and another on a farm for 6 points) and since he had 2 more on the main farm where I had 3 and his final meeple trapped in an uncompleteable city with one of mine, I had a big advantage with about a dozen or so tiles to go as I could claim easy points as and when they were available. My biggest regret is that I didn't have the chance to claim the 8-point incomplete city with my final meeple as I'd been growing this but didn't want to claim it until the last minute. As it happened I waited too long and didn't draw anything that could connect me to it on my last 3 or 4 turns so it remained unclaimed... :'(

Game 2: :blue-meeple: danisthirty 106 - 68 Rich_The_Fish (started) :red-meeple:

Our second game started in a similar vain to our first with lots of road tiles (and comparatively few city tiles) coming out early. Rich used them to good effect and completed a 14-point city followed by a 4-point city, and had got a meeple down on the farm all while I was still trying to trap him (and failing). This gave him a reasonable lead and put him in a strong position as he sought to return the favour and block some of my meeples. I managed to stop him, and eventually completed a 12-point city and a cloister with the same much-needed ccff tile for 21 points and 2 meeples back. This put me back in the game, but Rich was already in the process of getting 2nd and 3rd farmers onto the main farm by this point so I had a lot of catching up to do!

At around this time the game slowed down a lot as both of us started to spend longer and longer contemplating the farm. I was getting increasingly desperate to join my 3rd farmer onto the main farm as the number of tiles left in the bag dipped into single figures, but eventually I drew something I could use which ensured that the main farm ended up being tied with 4 farmers each. I had managed to claim another farm for 9 points and had my remaining meeples down on a cloister and a city, but had generated sufficient points throughout the game that I knew I'd done enough regardless of whether Rich managed to snatch the main farm from me with just a couple of tiles left. Fortunately (for me) he didn't and his fifth farmer never got connected.

In terms of the way the tiles came out, both games were very similar but felt very different in terms of gameplay. It's a shame that there was such a big PD in the second game in particular as the game really was very close and had a lot of deep strategic thinking going on from both sides.

Thanks for the games Rich, and good luck with the rest of the competition! :) :(y)

4 more matches to go!
« Last Edit: April 24, 2017, 02:41:09 PM by danisthirty »

Offline Rich_The_Fish

• Marquis
  • Merit: 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2017, 11:27:05 PM »
Thanks very much for the enjoyable games last night Dan and for the detailed write up too. Good luck in the remaining rounds.

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2017, 05:30:07 AM »
Any more games coming up any time soon?

Offline Jéré

• Chatelain
  • Merit: 62
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2017, 05:37:49 AM »
Any more games coming up any time soon?

We have tried to organise our games but failed so far. Hounk was on holiday and could only confirm with short notice and when he did, I wasn't available anymore. Now he is back I think but he works in the evenings, at least this weekend.

We keep trying!

Offline Leven

• Viscount
  • Merit: 49
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2017, 02:13:56 PM »
First game of my match vs MrNumbers.

:red-meeple: MrNumbers (starting player) vs :violet-meeple: Leven 76:77

I needed some luck to win this one. MrNumbers would probably have won the game if he had drawn one of the two remaining CRRR tiles. With that he could have finished his city on the south. Instead of that his meeple got stuck in that city. Moreover, I was also lucky to draw the last CCFF splitter tile which allowed me to complete my city.

To be continued on Monday.

Offline Merlin_89

• Nobleman
  • Merit: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2017, 08:39:25 AM »
My game against Rosco took place last evening...

Game No1:
67  :red-meeple: Rosco (Home game) - Merlin_89  :yellow-meeple: 92
Game No2:
99 :yellow-meeple: Merlin_89 (Home game) - Rosco  :red-meeple: 64

Game No1. I tried to build my advantage fast and steady, and it worked out... but everything could easilly go wrong when Rosco nearly completed his big city. If he did, I would be taken into corner, there was no way out.
Game No2. Rosco played like he was still regretting his chances from game one. Once again I raced ahead with points, and put pressure on field. Rosco fought back, but he was one meeple short, I took the farm.

Rosco, thanks for the game!

Offline MrNumbers

• Duke Chevalier
  • Merit: 91
    • View Profile
    • Carcassonne Latvia
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2017, 02:40:07 PM »
MrNumbers vs. Leven (starting), Game 2
98:79

I have much better control in the second game, and despite of almost even scores throughout the game, I felt that I could win. So I did :)
Thanks for good games, Leven!
"I never lose. Either I win or I learn." (Nelson Mandela)

Offline TheSteveAllen

• Marquis
  • Merit: 25
  • Power to the Meeple!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2017, 02:44:24 PM »
After a long correspondence course with my friend Chooselife, we finally managed to meet up tonight for our round 7 match in the Basegame league. Unfortunately, the bout did not do justice to all the pre-match hype in the tabloids, but they were, nonetheless 2 fun games in which to be involved. I must, however, apologize to my opponent for so decisively shooting myself in the foot half way through the first game by trapping two of my own meeples. This comes in the wake of my disastrous miscount of farmers against Hounk in a previous round. I will keep to myself the fact that I was a Maths teacher for 7 years!

The first game ended:- Chooselife  :yellow-meeple: 81 v TheSteveAllen  :green-meeple: 55 - (Home win)

This game was all about a battle for a big city which Chooselife eventually won, courtesy of my meeples being sent off in the first half!

The second game was closer and ended:- TheSteveAllen  :green-meeple: 90 v Chooselife  :yellow-meeple: 83 (home win)

This was an evenly balanced game all about roads, cities, cloisters and farms, about equally. I was more pleased that I managed to get through 72 tiles without doing something stupid than I was with the actual win.

Thanks to chooselife for not laughing at me in the first match, and for being sympathetic and letting me win the second!  :D

Offline Jéré

• Chatelain
  • Merit: 62
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2017, 01:46:38 PM »
Game#1 (Starting player: Jéré)

:yellow-meeple:  Jéré   120
 :black1-meeple: Hounk  93

Game#2 (Starting player: Hounk)

:black1-meeple: Hounk 56
 :yellow-meeple:  Jéré   92
« Last Edit: May 03, 2017, 01:48:30 PM by Jéré »

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2017, 04:12:46 PM »
Thanks again everyone, we've made it through another round unscathed! Here are the standings at the end of round 7:

(names in red belong to those who have not yet had their "sitting out" round so they are essentially one match ahead of those in black)

Round 8 is now live!
« Last Edit: October 30, 2017, 03:22:56 PM by danisthirty »

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
xx
2017 Basegame League - Round 1

Started by danisthirty

44 Replies
Last post February 02, 2017, 02:18:59 AM
by danisthirty
xx
2017 Basegame League - Round 3

Started by danisthirty

21 Replies
Last post March 01, 2017, 01:53:18 PM