Author Topic: The Tower (D)  (Read 12364 times)

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
  • Merit: 293
  • "First to 4 points wins?"
    • View Profile
The Tower (D)
« on: May 31, 2016, 03:22:08 PM »
Group D:
  • Jéré
  • jma03
  • Valheru
  • Rich_The_Fish
  • rfielder

Please read the following tournament notes/ guidance/ rules before continuing:

1. Players have already been divided into four different groups (Groups A to D). Each player will play one game of Carcassonne against every other player in their group individually via a series of 2-player/ head-to-head games. The winner of each game will be awarded two league points whereas the loser gets nothing. If the game is tied, both players receive one league point each.

2. Players in each group will be ranked according to the number of league points they have scored. PD (Points Differential) will be used as an initial tie-breaker if there is no clear winner based on league points alone, and total combined score (from all games) will be used as a second tie-breaker if necessary. Your PD is calculated by taking the total number of points scored by you and subtracting the total number of points scored against you (combined across all games).

3. Games will be played online through the latest stable version of JCloisterZone (currently 3.4.2). Please ensure you have downloaded this and are familiar with its controls and features before the competition begins. It is also recommended that you have played at least one practice game against a live opponent (as opposed to a dead one) in order to identify and resolve any technical problems before your first game.

4. JCloisterZone includes a number of artificial aids such as farm hints, projected scores and even tile-counting assistance. I can't stop you from using any of these, and won't know if you do, but I do urge you to play under "exam conditions" as far as possible so that you're relying purely on your own wits, knowledge and experience rather than using anything else to help you. I know it's a competition and we all want to win, but let's keep it fair, fun and friendly as far as possible...

5. Each game will include the basic tiles plus the Tower expansion only (no other expansions please). This is 90 tiles including the start tile, so 89 tiles will be shuffled and randomly drawn for you and your opponent in turn. The starting player should be chosen at random through JCZ by selecting the “Randomize seating order” checkbox on the pre-game screen.

6. If any unexpected behaviour occurs during your game (for example if you think you have discovered a bug within JCloisterZone which may have altered the course of the game for you), please consult with your opponent and the CAR/ anyone else who happens to be in the chat room at the time to determine whether it appears to be a genuine bug. If it is, please save your game and post details of the bug along with anything else relating to how it came about on the forums. If however, you and your opponent are both happy to continue with your game despite the bug then feel free to do so, but don’t forget to mention the bug afterwards no matter how minor it may have seemed!

7. Please post a screenshot of your game, including final scores and score breakdown, back to your group thread as soon as your game is complete. It's always interesting to hear what happened during the game too, so please feel free to post any thoughts/ comments at the same time if you wish. If you're not sure how to capture/ post screenshots, please ask on the forums and either myself or someone else will explain how to do this (we're a friendly bunch!)

8. It is the players responsibility to liaise with their fellow group-members in order to find a mutually convenient time to play their game. This is expected to be done predominantly through Private Messages but feel free to use your group thread (here) too if this is easier. Please do keep any appointments you make, or at least give your opponent as much notice as possible if something occurs which prevents you from playing at the agreed time (more on the "Unwritten Rules" is available here).

9. Each of the 4 initial groups contains 5 players so the first stage of the competition will end when every player (all 20 of us) has played 4 games. At this point, the pool will split into 5 groups of 4 depending on finishing position in the initial groups. So, the top-ranked players from groups A - D will form group E1, and those who came second in each group will form group E2. The same will be true for groups E3 to E5.

10. Play in groups E1 to E5 will constitute the second stage of the competition which will run in the same way as the first except with more groups and fewer people per group. League points, PD and total score will be reset at this point (but remembered for overall stats) so that no single player in any group has any kind of advantage. Finishing positions in groups at the second stage will determine overall rank: 1st=E1-1, 2nd=E1-2, 3rd=E1-3, 4th=E1-4, 5th=E2-1, ..., 16th=E4-4, 17th=E5-1, 18th=E5-2, 19th=E5-3, 20th=E5-4.

Finally, you may find the following links helpful: Carcassonne Central IRC Chat and JCloisterZone.

The competition is now on! Good luck everyone... :) :(y)

Linkback: https://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/index.php?topic=2766.0
« Last Edit: June 01, 2016, 12:42:07 AM by danisthirty »

Offline Rich_The_Fish

• Marquis
  • Merit: 21
    • View Profile
Re: The Tower (D)
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2016, 05:13:57 AM »
Hi folks. It looks like jma03 and I are kicking off group D as we've just played our game. We both found it very intense and the outcome was only really decided with the last couple of tiles - it could have gone either way. We were both pretty cautious in placing our meeples, particularly if they weren't going to score promptly - Jacobo was good with the towers. There was a bit of a battle for the large city in the centre but it ended up being incomplete and unoccupied. Despite managing to finish quite a few small cities / roads which gave me a lead in the scores, Jacobo had gone farming quite early so there were lots of points heading his way at the end. He remained in control of the main farm although but had to deploy a couple of meeples relatively early on to stop a few towers being used to capture the unsuspecting farmer! He also had the farm in the west for most of the game, but thankfully I finally managed to remove his farmer after the one I'd managed to sneak in had been attacked so neither of us got any points for that. Unfortunately for Jacobo, both CRRF tiles which he was waiting for in order to complete the city in the east were drawn by me, so his knight remained frustratingly trapped. Overall a really enjoyable competitive game, thanks.

Final scores were...
:red-meeple:  Rich_The_Fish - 71
:yellow-meeple:  jma03 - 59
« Last Edit: June 04, 2016, 05:16:09 AM by Rich_The_Fish, Reason: spelling »

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
  • Merit: 293
  • "First to 4 points wins?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2016, 06:32:55 AM »
A great write-up Rich. Congratulations on your win! :) :(y)

Offline kettlefish

• Global Moderator
  • Chatelain Officier
  • Merit: 127
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2016, 12:17:55 PM »
The x-score list - T-League - CarcC-D - 04 06 2016

Offline Halfling

• Chatelain
  • Merit: 49
  • Welcome tournament 2015 winner.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2016, 11:17:44 AM »
Nice win Rich, I'm up for tips next time we play The Tower.
The Geek shall inherit the earth if we get a good die role

Offline Rich_The_Fish

• Marquis
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2016, 12:17:53 PM »
Nice win Rich, I'm up for tips next time we play The Tower.
That's kind of you to say, but it was more luck than judgement in the end. It certainly helped playing a friendly last week - I still recall my suicide placement of tower tiles in the naive and futile hope that my opponent wouldn't want to capture my meeples! It made such a difference playing against an experienced player, rather than AI opponent - this expansion is pretty brutal. Good luck with your league games and I'll catch up on Thu for our Dream Team game.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Offline Jéré

• Chatelain
  • Merit: 62
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2016, 03:12:34 AM »
2 games scheduled for tomorrow (Wed. 8th June)

Game 1: jma03 vs Jéré at 20:30 (spanish time)

Game 2: Rich_The_Fish vs Jéré at 21:00 (UK time)

Can you guys host? Thanks

Offline Jéré

• Chatelain
  • Merit: 62
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2016, 01:09:00 AM »
Update: jma03 has cancelled but Valheru will replace him, so Game 1 is still on the programme.

Offline Valheru

• Marquis
  • Merit: 19
  • More tiles, less rules!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2016, 12:52:39 PM »
First League game against Jere:

Valheru  :green-meeple: 100
Jere  :yellow-meeple: 92

Victory!

First league game and a tense game it was. Minor point difference (1 or 2 points) the whole game. Tower action started pretty fast. The bigger cities were split even though Jere was a bit lucky to receive 2 RRCC tiles that he needed to safely finish two rather big cities. My luck seemed absent but it would arrive later in the game!

The last 15 tiles we both had 2 tower pieces left and made them count dearly. The farmfight was intense and changed a few times over. While Jere had plenty of my meeples (3 at a certain point) and more than plenty of his own, he couldn't quite place them the way he wanted. Moreover, I feel pretty confident in Tower games when lacking a few meeples. I guess because you can't really finish that much cities/roads anyway because of the tower threat. Well, confident isn't the best word to describe. Call it less panicky!

The Road Cloisters proved vital in the end, they gave me 12 points and an overcount in farm meeples. Jere had the advantage in placed meeples for all the farms but couldn't connect them. The cloisters would have done just that! Lucky me indeed and I managed a really narrow victory. Two big farms (12 points each) remained unclaimed despite severe tower power!

Bottom line: The Tower is chaotic and stressful but I kinda like it (for now, haha). Up to the next one and thank you for the tense game, Jere. I really enjoyed it. Good luck in your next games, starting with Rich_The_Fish later tonight!
« Last Edit: June 08, 2016, 12:55:53 PM by Valheru »
"In his house at R'lyeh, dead Cthulhu waits dreaming..."

Offline Rich_The_Fish

• Marquis
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2016, 02:48:47 PM »
Jéré and I both played our second game of the tournament a short while ago.
A very close game and largely decided by farming and heavily influenced by captured farmers!!
I'll do a bit of a write up tomorrow, but for now here are the final scores...

:red-meeple: Rich_The_Fish : 126
 :yellow-meeple: Jéré : 117

Thanks very much for the game.

[write up to follow]

Offline kettlefish

• Global Moderator
  • Chatelain Officier
  • Merit: 127
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2016, 11:48:12 PM »
The x-score list - T-League - Group D - 09 06 2016

Offline Valheru

• Marquis
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2016, 06:54:08 AM »
I should be available tonight, around 20.00 CEST (GMT+2) if anyone fancies a game.

Offline Rich_The_Fish

• Marquis
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2016, 09:04:25 AM »
I should be available tonight, around 20.00 CEST (GMT+2) if anyone fancies a game.
Hi Valheru. I should be available at some point tonight for our game. Will let you know in a bit what time I can be free. Cheers

Offline Rich_The_Fish

• Marquis
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2016, 10:42:59 AM »
Just sent you a PM. But basically I should be online in about 1hr 20mins (UK time) which is 9pm with you. Hopefully you are able to host, or someone can advise how I can configure JCZ as I've not been able to host since upgrading to 3.4.2 for some reason.

Hi Valheru. I should be available at some point tonight for our game. Will let you know in a bit what time I can be free. Cheers

Offline Valheru

• Marquis
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2016, 02:03:24 PM »
Second game for this league:

Rich_The_Fish  :red-meeple: 105
Valheru:  :green-meeple: 111

Victory once more! I'm on a lucky streak..

Just like in the last game, the roadcloister saved it. I managed to connect a much needed second farmer on the biggest farm. Until the last tile I had an advantage on that (making a 40 point difference) but Rich managed to tie it in the end. And deservingly so! But before we came to that tense last couple of tiles, a whole battle was fought out.

And an aggressive one it was indeed. I think I had a deficit of 3 meeples average during the whole game with a topscore of 4 captured by Rich. Unlike last game against Jere, I didn't feel comfortable this time. Mostly because Rich_The_Fish placed his meeples so strategically well that I had to invest a lot of tower pieces if I wanted to counter him. So I waited.

We exchanged blows with small and a few bigger cities alike, both staying near each other in point difference. Roads provided some much needed extra points while cloisters (apart from the two roadcloisters) didn't seem interesting.

I was lucky to draw the needed tiles to finish my game plan on the one hand, and block Rich_The_Fish just enough to have the game in hand. 2 tiles before the end, I was 40 points ahead. In the end only 6 points. That's the Tower for you, ladies and gentlemen! But I do love it (looking back at my two matches).

Thanks for the game Rich_The_Fish and good luck with your remaining match!

Jma03 is up next in a minute!

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
xx
What if a player draws a tower tile but they don't have any more tower floors?

Started by carca82

5 Replies
Last post September 27, 2022, 01:12:49 AM
by Bumsakalaka
xx
Abbot / Mayor / Wagon and Tower

Started by obervet

9 Replies
Last post May 20, 2015, 10:52:54 AM
by obervet
clip
WTS Original Expansions: Tower, Princess/Dragon, Robber, Count

Started by Howdypoopy

0 Replies
Last post August 20, 2020, 04:19:01 PM
by Howdypoopy
xx
When is one allowed to use a tower piece?

Started by ny1050220

2 Replies
Last post October 29, 2015, 09:18:59 PM
by ny1050220
xx
The Tower (New Edition vs Old)

Started by Mikeagan

6 Replies
Last post August 03, 2018, 02:46:39 AM
by danisthirty