Author Topic: A few odd questions...  (Read 3806 times)

Offline Christopher

• Count
  • Merit: 12
  • It's not the years, it's the mileage.
    • View Profile
A few odd questions...
« on: November 04, 2016, 03:37:16 AM »
Hello all!

I played a rather large game a few days ago, and it was completely brilliant. That aside, it did turn up a few unexpected questions on interactions between expansions which in some cases I couldn't seem to find answers for. Much to my chagrin, however, I did not write them down at the time, and so now (of course) I cannot remember them. Below are the ones I can remember, and I will add more as and when I am able to.

Apologies if any of these have been asked before!

1. Fairy points:

I'm pretty sure I found the answer to this, but I want to clarify just in case. The three points earned for completing a feature with the fairy next to your follower occurs as part of the normal scoring phase, so I can earn a message at the end of this phase. It is not a separate phase so does not earn an extra message. However, can I distribute the points separately to the feature which earned them? I think yes. I cannot divide the points of the feature:

the entire point value for each individual feature must be scored by moving a single counting follower

but:

Note that the scoring of the 3 bonus points is independent of the normal points scored for the completed feature.

Thus, if I complete a cloister with the fairy on it, I can give 9 points to one score marker and 3 points to another. Correct?

2. The Abbot (CARCII) :

I still don't know if we're 'supposed' to play the Abbot with CI, but they did make a point of them being compatible because the backs are the same. So I can play the CII base game with CI expansions, right? Anyway, questions.

Does the Abbot earn three points from the fairy if he is removed before completion? The rules state:

If the fairy is standing next to a follower in a feature (city, road, cloister, or farm) that is being scored, the owner of that follower receives 3 points, independent of how much (if anything) the player otherwise receives from the scoring.

It doesn't say complete, it just says feature which is being scored. Which the cloister is. So, yes?

3. I was also going to ask if the fairy scores these points during end-game scoring, but it scores for farms, so yes? If you had a fairy next to your cloister follower and the game ended, you'd get the points?

4. Abbot again

If the Abbot is engaged in a challenge with a heretic/monk, and the abbot is removed, does the abbot get points and the challenge end? The monk/heretic can then go on to get all of his points, as the challenge does not occur if the cloister/shire in unoccupied (right?). The rules state:

If a challenge has not been resolved by the end of the game, both players receive the usual points awarded for incomplete cloisters.

If you do so, you score as many points as the abbot is worth at that time, exactly like scoring a cloister at the end of the game.

If the abbot scores end-game scoring, and in end-game any challenges are ignored, so he scores and the monk/heretic carries on?

5. There was definitely a lot of message/builder/bazaar tomfoolery. There's a lovely footnote in the CAR which describes the order of builder/bazaar interactions, and it goes like this:

Initial turn : draw bazaar tiles : original builder turn : auction bazaar tiles (ignore any bazaars) : first player's auctioned tile : first player's builder turn : next player's auctioned tile : next player's builder turn: last player's auctioned tile : last player's builder turn : if another bazaar was drawn in a builder turn, repeat.

You can trigger another bazaar round if the bazaar was drawn from a builder turn, but not from an auction, fine. But this is further complicated if someone draws message #7 (extra tile) during this. And imagine if they drew a bazaar?! Oh, the horror.

I think, should someone draw message #7 at any point, you would interrupt the above at the point which they earned the message and insert the message/builder turn order:

Turn which triggered message #7 : message #7 turn : message #7 builder turn : initial turn builder turn : resume auction.

If another bazaar is drawn during the above, it would occur after the initial auction finished, as
only when all uncovered tile have been allocated and placed can another bazaar take place.

If you had enough players all earning builder turns and scoring messages, you could end up getting message #7 twice in an auction! Presumably if you draw multiple bazaars during the above, you would perform them one after another. You'd have to pay attention to who starts each one!

The difficulty we had was remembering where we were in all this. We're working on player board which will hopefully allow you to keep track of it.

That's it for now. I'm certain there were more, given how many times I ended up checking the CAR, but that's all I can remember. What do you think?

Linkback: https://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/index.php?topic=2952.0
Look to the north. Keep looking. There's nothing coming from the south.

Offline Fritz_Spinne

• Authors
  • Viscount
  • Merit: 21
    • View Profile
Re: A few odd questions...
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2016, 04:49:44 AM »
Very intresting questions ...

1. The points of the feature are for the tiles and all things depicted on the tiles, but in my opinion not the extra points for having the fairy on the tile. So you can use the 3 points extra.

4. I wouldn't give points for an Abbot leaving a cloister because he lost a challenge - you don't take him back, he is forced to go back. You could say "I placed the tile because I want him to came back", but I think in a challenge only one player should earn points.

Offline Christopher

• Count
  • Merit: 12
  • It's not the years, it's the mileage.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2016, 07:39:50 AM »
4. I wouldn't give points for an Abbot leaving a cloister because he lost a challenge - you don't take him back, he is forced to go back. You could say "I placed the tile because I want him to came back", but I think in a challenge only one player should earn points.

Sorry, I meant if you bring the Abbot back early as your move the wood turn, before either of the features are complete, not when he loses the challenge. So if both the cult and the cloister are incomplete, but you bring back your abbot on your turn, what happens to the challenge?

6. Message #7
I know the other thing I meant to ask. Is the extra tile given by message #7 a whole new turn, complete with fairy point, prisoner buyback, etc, or is it just a new tile, like the builder turn?
« Last Edit: November 04, 2016, 07:42:18 AM by Christopher »

Offline ny1050220

• Marquis
  • Merit: 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2016, 07:58:25 AM »
6. Message #7
I know the other thing I meant to ask. Is the extra tile given by message #7 a whole new turn, complete with fairy point, prisoner buyback, etc, or is it just a new tile, like the builder turn?
My take is a whole new turn.
Footnote 425 in S-CAR 7.4 reads: "If a tile is added to a feature with a builder and triggers the drawing of Message #7, The Message extra tile comes before the builder extra turn. If the extra tile from the Message is put on the builder’s feature, this will create another builder extra turn. Thus, the events would be: initial turn -> Message#7 turn -> Message#7 builder turn -> original tile’s builder turn."
According to this, my interpretation is that the message#7 tile is a whole new turn, as you don't get a second builder turn in an entire turn.
Let me know what you think.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
xx
Few questions after we played a big game with 8 expansions

Started by walt_ua

6 Replies
Last post April 27, 2017, 05:03:15 AM
by Paul
question
A few WHAT IF questions regarding save and load and local and remote games

Started by Gerry

2 Replies
Last post December 20, 2014, 01:24:10 AM