Author Topic: Two games with a former national champion  (Read 5183 times)

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
  • Merit: 293
  • "First to 4 points wins?"
    • View Profile
Two games with a former national champion
« on: February 10, 2015, 04:14:04 PM »
Last year I tracked down the 2-time UK Carcassonne champion for 2012/2013 on Boardgamegeek. I was keen to play against him as I met him very briefly at the 2014 competition, so I asked if he'd be interested in an online game as I wanted to see what I could learn from him, especially since he finished 7th in the 2013 world championships! He was gracious enough to accept my invitation, but we struggled to find mutually convenient times and so only played a couple of games last year with him winning by 7 points each time! I felt totally outclassed on both occasions.

However, we happened to find a random opportunity for a couple of games this evening and I was amazed to win not one, but both games:

I was very careful with my meeples in the first game as I know from experience just how strong a player Richard is, and never really ran into any problems with my supply. I did run out with about a dozen tiles to go but I'd built up a decent lead and was certain I'd won the main farm outright by then. I also had a couple of cities that I could continue to expand and this helped me to hang on to my lead as he closed the gap slightly towards the very end. One thing I learnt from him in previous games is to make literally every point count so I did this as best I could and delayed him with a couple of good traps too (most of which he successfully prevented).

The second game was a bit scrappier. He played an early farmer so I immediately set about ensuring that his farm here would be as small as possible, picking up a few more points along the way. We had a short battle over a growing city which he won when he got his second knight into it and thwarted my attempts to do the same. As a backup plan though, he also attempted to get a third knight into the city but I managed to prevent this which rendered the city impossible to complete in the process. The result was that he lost a total of 4 meeples from an early stage which ended up being worth just 17 points at the end of the game.

Obviously I was so thrilled that I had to come on here to post about it, but I did feel a little sorry for Richard as well as this was one of those occasions where the tiles were certainly on my side. Still, it was a fun way to spend an hour and I'm sure he'll be out for revenge next time!  :)

Linkback: https://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/index.php?topic=1524.0
« Last Edit: October 24, 2017, 03:27:32 PM by danisthirty »

Offline gwhalley18

• Vagabond
  • Merit: 0
  • I haven't updated my profile yet!
    • View Profile
Re: Two games with a former national champion
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2015, 12:57:04 AM »
Well played! This Richard probably knows how to play Carcassonne......

Offline SRBO

• Chatelain
  • Merit: 40
  • The Robber Dragon King
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2015, 12:59:35 AM »
Well done Dan!:P

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2015, 02:00:04 AM »
Well played! This Richard probably knows how to play Carcassonne......

Well done Dan!:P

Thanks guys! There's nothing quite like winning a couple of games against a top opponent, even if I did feel like he got the raw end of the deal in terms of tiles drawn.

This makes it 2 - 2 in our series of ongoing head-to-head matches. This is a lot nicer to type than the 2 - 0 it was at this yesterday!  :)

Welcome to the forums gwhalley18! :(y) Your name/ face seems familiar for some reason but I can't place why...  ???

Offline gwhalley18

• Vagabond
  • Merit: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2015, 03:34:49 AM »
Thanks!

I feel a bit like Troy McClure from The Simpsons.....but you may remember me from Cheshire (school), Durham (Uni) or Manchester (post-Uni)?

Offline Hounk

• Baron
  • Merit: 15
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2015, 05:11:46 AM »
Congratulations! I wished, you would have recorded this games with the movie capture tool, you told Leven about.

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2015, 05:39:52 AM »
Thanks!

I feel a bit like Troy McClure from The Simpsons.....but you may remember me from Cheshire (school), Durham (Uni) or Manchester (post-Uni)?

Always good to sneak a Simpsons quote in wherever possible! But maybe I don't know you after all. You must just have one of "those" faces!  :)

Congratulations! I wished, you would have recorded this games with the movie capture tool, you told Leven about.

So do I, but unfortunately I haven't got round to installing this on my wife's laptop yet and my old laptop isn't doing so well...  :'(

Offline Carcking

• Duke Chevalier
  • Merit: 33
  • I call Red!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2015, 11:59:43 AM »
Good wins Dan! Way to represent!

(no fair practicing on the side)  ::)
I just drew the perfect tile for my MonKnighThieFarmer!

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
xx
A New Carcassonne Champion is Born!

Started by danisthirty

11 Replies
Last post October 26, 2013, 07:30:36 AM
by CARC_Zoner
xx
Interview with Genro Fujimoto, carcassonne world champion 2018

Started by LaplazadeCarcassonne

5 Replies
Last post June 22, 2019, 02:00:35 AM
by Meepledrone
xx
Two Smaller Games

Started by danisthirty

1 Replies
Last post May 17, 2014, 06:10:36 PM
by Nebus
question
What games did you enjoy at UK games expo (or other games convention)?

Started by asparagus

4 Replies
Last post June 09, 2016, 02:27:25 AM
by asparagus
xx
Two questions about the Market of Leipzig

Started by carca82

7 Replies
Last post August 13, 2022, 02:32:10 AM
by Meepledrone